Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you think it's rude to correct another's grammar?

(As for the written word....in a forum like this, who cares how you write?)

I agree. I find a little too much nitpicking is going on with some postings over how something was said or what was said. I also find in particular there are a group of about 4 posters who are sort of "patrolling the board" and when one of these people write something you can bet the 3 or 4 people will write something to back him/her up. It's seems somewhat of a highschool clique mentality.It's one thing to share an opinion but another to have a gang attack on someone. I realize you make anonymous friends on these boards but I think as adults if you don't agree on someones opinion about something, you don't need to add "and alot of other posters agree with me" To me that is childish & makes me think of high school where you are trying to ostricize that person. I also agree if you can't understand what someone has written then don't comment on it. I enjoy reading these forums & like to add my 2cents but I don't have nor will I take the time to make sure everything is perfect before I hit "submit reply"

Hey, not fair at all. For the record, I did try to ignore her posts and not reply to them. Know what I got in return? "Why aren't you answering my question?"

I don't give a flying you-know-what if something is grammatically correct or not. How many posts have you seen me going after because of grammar and spelling? I do ask that someone's replies to me be actual replies, though. I don't give a damn whether it's written in haiku or if every word is misspelled, if I can tell what the intent of the reply is. I don't care if someone "takes the time to be perfect" because I sure don't take that time.

And again, for the record, I never said anything about "people agreeing with my ideas over hers." I said that I PMed several people to ask if they could understand what she was trying to say, since I didn't want to come right out and ask her on the board. Her ideas versus my ideas never came into it at all, since no one could figure out what her ideas were. That was the ONLY reason I asked her to clarify. If I could have figured out what she was saying, I would have. I only replied to her because I thought it would be rude to completely ignore a reply that was specifically aimed at me.

And my reply to her wasn't even rude, for Pete's sake. Here it is:

Astrology isn't a science. Astronomy is. Two very different fields.

And I'm still not sure what you are talking about with the statement " Holidays espcially easter and the resurrection of christ ,jesus walking on Water,etc." I need a sentence, here.

My POV is this: If someone takes part in an online debate, they better be prepared for people to ask them for clarification of their posts, if for no other reason than the inability of the written word to convey body language, voice tone, and intent.

Yah, I've got to confess that The Caps Gang Do Drive Me Nutz, TOO!:eek::wacko::D:wacko::D Why do they do it? I often wonder to myself.:)

I am nobody to correct grammar, period. I send important stuff to Lauren and she proofs it before I send it. :)

Liar liar pants on fire!!!!!

Remember "workship" ??

hehehehe........

YOu better stop being rude immediately missy!

lol...hey, I actually think thought it was funny, doen't bother me at all.....

THen again, I'm such a nise,kute,eassy goin gril....!

Al da wayfrom da Wyndi Cyti!!!!!!!

I agree. I find a little too much nitpicking is going on with some postings over how something was said or what was said. I also find in particular there are a group of about 4 posters who are sort of "patrolling the board" and when one of these people write something you can bet the 3 or 4 people will write something to back him/her up. It's seems somewhat of a highschool clique mentality.It's one thing to share an opinion but another to have a gang attack on someone. I realize you make anonymous friends on these boards but I think as adults if you don't agree on someones opinion about something, you don't need to add "and alot of other posters agree with me" To me that is childish & makes me think of high school where you are trying to ostricize that person.

Yeah, I completely agree with this observation. I see it. I know many other people here see it, too. It can be very childish.:)

I know many other people here see it, too.

Sorry, I just reviewed my comment and kind of did something similar to the "and alot of other posters agree with me" comment. Silly me. My bad:faint:.

I thought "workship" was real cute. I thought that was what workoholics did. :bounce: Some linguistic mistakes can be awfully charming even if they are only typos. :)

I thought "workship" was real cute. I thought that was what workoholics did. :bounce: Some linguistic mistakes can be awfully charming even if they are only typos. :)

LOL!!!!!!!!! too darn funny!

May be I ought to do some more research, maybe it does have something to do with workoholics..........hhhhhhmmmmmmmmm

Originally Posted by marnie723 viewpost.gif

I agree. I find a little too much nitpicking is going on with some postings over how something was said or what was said. I also find in particular there are a group of about 4 posters who are sort of "patrolling the board" and when one of these people write something you can bet the 3 or 4 people will write something to back him/her up. It's seems somewhat of a highschool clique mentality.

And by the way, am I supposed to avoid all threads that my friends have posted to, if I happen to agree with what they've posted? That would sure cut down the number of threads I'd be allowed to post to. Am I supposed to ignore the posts attacking them, just because I happen to be their friend, and it would look like a "gang attack" if I posted to support them? Please, tell me what I am supposed to do, since I didn't know it was illegal to have friends and actually support those friends when I agree with them.

We all better look out, I guess, since it's now apparently against the rules to make more than one post supporting a particular person's POV, unless you want to look like you're following them around and "ganging up" on the people that disagree with him/her.

I agree. I find a little too much nitpicking is going on with some postings over how something was said or what was said. I also find in particular there are a group of about 4 posters who are sort of "patrolling the board" and when one of these people write something you can bet the 3 or 4 people will write something to back him/her up. It's seems somewhat of a highschool clique mentality.It's one thing to share an opinion but another to have a gang attack on someone. I realize you make anonymous friends on these boards but I think as adults if you don't agree on someones opinion about something, you don't need to add "and alot of other posters agree with me" To me that is childish & makes me think of high school where you are trying to ostricize that person. I also agree if you can't understand what someone has written then don't comment on it. I enjoy reading these forums & like to add my 2cents but I don't have nor will I take the time to make sure everything is perfect before I hit "submit reply"

Marnie well said

Wheetsin,

I cannot do that at all, even if I do it slowly...I am a mind teasing failure!

However...I don't know how people write their posts with capitol in front of each letter...It Would Drive Me Nuts!!! Too Much Thinking.

It Must Take Them Forever!

:)

Rain

oh Rain, you just hit my hotspot. if i see someone who has done it more than a couple times - ignore...

but of course, i am a bitch and i'm sure i am on a few people's IG list ... oh well ...

back to topic of rude ...

Yes it's very rude!

To ask others for justification of your rudeness is even worse!

Honestly it wasn't that hard to figure out.

I think some people get off on correcting others to feel better about themselves.

I don't deal with people like that.

I'm sorry should I rephrase this?

Is this standard english enough for you?

I am a writer/poet.

I speak three different languages including slang.

If you don't identify too bad.

:)

bingo...

In person, out of the blue, I think it's rude to correct someone.

Online, it can be rude. It depends on the true intentions of the poster who is doing the correcting. Of course, perception is everything, so maybe it's not the true intentions of the correcting poster, but the perceived intentions? I don't reply to lots of threads I want to reply to because of how I think people will perceive what I want to say, vs what I am actually trying to say. The very last time I posted against my better judgment, this happened to me and I found myself explaining my way out of it. That has nothing to do with grammar or spelling in particular, but it does go along the same lines of "I was trying to be nice, and they took it all wrong".

Workshipe is a good one because that's one I pointed out. It wasn't an argument so there was no petty motive. (Umm, that doesn't mean there is petty motive if it is an argument, just that -- ackplblblbl, you know what I mean!) I just saw it so many times that I started to think - hey, maybe this person really doesn't know... and call it the educator in me, I don't know, but I just figured i would throw it out there just in case the person didn't know.

I guess you have to keep in mind that I work in the adult learning field, and tend to think of things in terms of learning opportunities... and being INTJ, don't tend to think of things in terms of the embarassment they might cause...

It's all personality, baby! (and mine is a bit non-sequitir)

And if the person already knows, it isn't meant to insult intelligence. Not at all. It's an "FYI".

If I wanted to break or humiliate someone, I'd go straight for the jugular. I'm way too direct to bother with little jabs here and there. Being pecked to death by ducks is too slow for my style.

(BTW, file "FYI" under annoying cliches, right next to people who make trendy quotation marks with their fingers while they're talking)

Ummm... sequitur, but I'm not about to edit out paragraph breaks just to make that tiny little change.

I think that this is a very valuable and interesting thread. We are discussing an interesting question and I don't believe that anyone is treading too heavily on anyone else's heels. Indeed, it is discussions of this nature which keep me coming back to LBT instead of living inside my fridge.

As for Lawanda Jessica, I do hope that she doesn't feel that she is being run out of town. She is a welcome part of the LBT family.

As you all know, Lee4 was given considerable grief by a number of individuals on this site because neither his own communication skills nor his understanding of politically correct lingo were among the standard skill set. The way I have always seen it with respect to Lee4 is that he is certainly hors de norm as the French would say but I also felt that he is certainly not someone who merited the vilification which he received from certain members of LBT.

Lawanda Jessica is another individual who risks being run off this community. This is because, although she has chosen to engage with the rest of us, her chosen literary style is elliptical, not academic. This has distressed certain fellow members and they are prepared to give her grief. I don't think that this is honourable or fair. You see, this is an open forum and that is the fun, the value, and the interest which this site holds for all of us, both the active members and the lurkers.

Workshipe is a good one because.....

Howzabout worksnipe???? This is why I took early retirement. :heh: