Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Now it just seems so hopeless

I waited 6 months to go to orientation at the Iowa city university hospital where the doctor informed me that I would need to loose a 130 pounds before my case would even be submitted to the insurence company and the god knows how long that battle will be. If I lost that kind of weight I would almost be happy alone. Can anyone give testimony to being successful with this scenario because I could really use some hope right about now.

Hang in there. It is not hopeless, did they give you a program to follow (liquid diet, etc)?

Is there a support group at the university? Can they admit you as an in-patient to get it started? Can you ask for that type of help or a mentor?

Don't give up because it won't get better if you do. You can do this if you really want the surgery.

Gosh, I understand why that might discourage you. Anyone would feel badly. I do think if you can get some assist with the Liquid Protein or ketone diet that you would lose much more quickly than you imagine.

Does your insurance company & the facility have a coordinator who can help you figure out the best way to go?

Don't give up.

On 24/09/2017 at 5:00 AM, z0nk3y said:

doctor informed me that I would need to lose a 130 pounds before my case would even be submitted

That seems extreme ... even in context of the 469lbs in your profile.

In the first instance, if I were you, I'd go to the "over 400lbs" sub-group here and discuss their access to surgery and their anecdotal evidence of what to do.

Recap: Someone who is 5'3" and weighs 469# has a BMI of 83. (And if you're shorter or weigh more than that then your BMI is even greater.)

Being this size (469) would put someone in the high risk category for bariatric surgery. The OP's WLS and hospital must have a pre-surgical max BMI requirement of 60, which means she has to lose 130# before they will operate.

Another option is to contact additional WLS centers to see what their max BMIs are. But if z0nk3y can't find any that will operate on her as is then her only option is to lose the required amount before surgery.

Surgery helps. A lot. BUT, we all have to put the work in... preop, postop.. all the time, forever.

Those that don't learn this lesson early and well.. those are the ones that lose weight, then proceed to gain it all back.

Your journey doesn't begin on the operating table. It begins the day you decide to do something about the weight. Your journey doesn't end with "goal weight" either. It lasts as long as you do.

liquid diets are very effective, but they suck. I'll post a diet for you if you like. Just ask!

I second MarinaGirl and wonder if there might be other hospitals/WLS centers within reasonable distance that do not have a BMI maximum? While my surgeon prefers that the BMI is in the 60s (or lower) prior to surgery, he has operated on people with BMIs of more than 90. I will keep you in my thoughts.

Thank you all for your comments. I was given a diet of 1800 calorie diets and protiens,carbs and fats to stay with in. They said to stay away from Protein Shakes because they want you to eat real food. I've been so wrapped up in the idea of surgery I guess I had just thought that when I saw the doctor I was on the road to an end to that goal instead of given a mountain to climb. I'm going to work at this and see where I get and I'm open to suggestions. Thank you for suggesting the over 400 group I will be checking this out.

I went sept 22nd and today is oct 2nd im down 19 pounds from that weigh in but honestly there was Water retention from it being that time of the month and a days worth of eating that hadn't passed. So I've probably only really lost about 9-10 pounds but I'm taking it.

I waited 6 months to go to orientation at the Iowa city university hospital where the doctor informed me that I would need to loose a 130 pounds before my case would even be submitted to the insurence company and the god knows how long that battle will be. If I lost that kind of weight I would almost be happy alone. Can anyone give testimony to being successful with this scenario because I could really use some hope right about now.

I know you're in Iowa, but have you tried Dr. Nowazaradan in Texas. He has plenty of success stories? Or, go to the 400+group to get their take. I'm rooting for you! It's not hopeless. May be the hospital can do an inpatient for you to help you with your goal. But you can do it! [emoji2]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BariatricPal mobile app

Does the program have a non surgical weight loss program too? Perhaps they can enroll you in that in the meantime.

Also, have you verified your own insurance? Do they really have that requirement or is that just what the surgeon threw out there? Just keep trying until you find a Dr that doesn't leave you feeling hopeless. That is not their job.

God bless you! I hope you keep finding success and moving in the right direction.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app