Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depression [emoji20]

Hi everyone I'm 5 weeks post op (sleeve) and have been diagnosed with depression, I am in a awful state right now and am on meds and having therapy.

Never had it before? Wondering if anyone else has had this, I'm feeling so scared x

I'm really sorry to read this. Hopefully it's just situational depression and will resolve as you heal. I didn't suffer from it but I just wanted to let you know that you're definitely not alone. I've read lots of stores on here. Try doing a search and you'll find the stories too. Feel better.

I have read that while losing the fat hormones get released and can cause all sorts of emotions to arise. Hang in there and take it one day at a time. It's good that you asked for help.

I have read that while losing the fat hormones get released and can cause all sorts of emotions to arise. Hang in there and take it one day at a time. It's good that you asked for help.

Thanks for this xx

When I had a Tummy Tuck, I went into a bad depression afterwards. My doctor said it happens to some people after surgery and they don’t know exactly why. Speculation says its due to hormones. It didn’t last too long.. good luck

It’s a lot to go through hun.

For one, your body is in a caloric deficit. Our bodies don’t like that. They see it as a famine. It’s natural for them to depress in this kind of situation. Just try and get your food in as best you can.

There is a huge emotional reliance of food for most overweight people. It’s a coping mechanism for many of us. And we’ve also dieted a lot and followed that by a rebound binge. Well, you can’t now. So the pattern is broken and your realizing your coping mechanism is gone.

It’s really important to focus on getting some new ones that are not food related. What other things do you have in your life that can get you some comfort?

Get some exercise. Your body needs endorphins. Post surgery our bodies go through a slump. Go out and take a walk in the fresh air. Go for a jog. Get your heart rate up. It will really help. The best cure for depression is endorphins.

Hang in there. This too shall pass.

I have been treated for depression for several years now and there are times when you really feel dreadful. After the surgery we put up the meds for a few weeks. The surgeon said its quite common after surgery to have a spike in depression due to hormones and body trauma. I am 3 months out now and I have had a few bad days due to some complications more than anything. I'm OK now seeing a psychologist as part of my plan and reduced meds back now. Even though you probably feel like crap it will pass and is treatable. As the weight comes off there will be more positives to celebrate! Take care x

Sent from my CPH1607 using BariatricPal mobile app

Struggled with depress, anxiety, PTSD and panic disorder for 30 years. Medication can manage it. Learning the cause of it doesn’t really help but learn how to manage it with breathing, mindfulness, self care, medication and exercise. I also work as a Mental Health educator and teach Recovery programs. My best advice to you is don’t fight it. Don’t deny it. Accept it as an illness and take care of it like you would take care of yourself if you were diagnosed with diabetes! Don’t take advice from people in reference to medication who haven’t been on it. There’s a huge stigma attached to people that take mental health medication. Doesn’t mean you’re weird, insane, or any other label people give it. It just means you have a chemical in balance in the brain and the brain cannot reproduce serotonin, endorphins, or any other brain chemical to bring your levels back up.

You will learn to know your good days and your bad days and what to expect on both. You’ll learn what you need to do for self-care on the bad days to keep yourself from plummeting. Just hang in there and educate yourself because the more you know about it the more empowered you are. And most importantly remember you are NOT your illness

Hi everyone I'm 5 weeks post op (sleeve) and have been diagnosed with depression, I am in a awful state right now and am on meds and having therapy.
Never had it before? Wondering if anyone else has had this, I'm feeling so scared x

My surgeon said that it can develop due to the hormone changes. Since I struggle with depression, anxiety and PTSD, I was told therapy would be good afterwards in addition to medication can be made available if needed. He said it's not permanent, but can develop.

Keep your chin up, remember you'll get through this. God loves you! You're in my prayers.

Sent from my XT1650 using BariatricPal mobile app