Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need a mentor and a friend...

Hello, my name is Terri and today is a good day.

The only persons I have told about my surgery is my two grown sons and to my surprise they are being very supportive- but that's the end of it. They're gone, they're grown with their own lives and they dont want to hear what Mom's going through on a daily basis lol. And that is A-OK with me...I haven't told any of my girlfriends and that's what hurts, I'm guessing the level of trust and faith that they wouldn't judge me isn't quite there. Chalk it up to another life learning experience. I'm happy I found this new Forum Topic, I could sure use a mentor right about now

I was told by my doctor to lose 10-15 pre surgery pounds and after a very rough start with a Keto plan I said screw it and opted for the Liver Reduction Plan- I have been living on Bariatric Fusion shakes and homemade broth, SF Popsicles and SF Jello, V8 and Diet Cranberry juice for the past 20 days. After about three days my body got used to the transition and I was no longer hungry, have been sleeping very well on my new CPAP machine and the days flew by. Went in to see my surgeon and lost 13 pounds. I haven't felt this great in a very long time!! Physically and emotionally. All of the paperwork is in and they will be seeking approval.

Now I am faced with this thing that I've educated myself on, mentally plowed on through endless needle pricks, weigh ins and signatures. This thing that I want so bad is finally here and I feel all alone and scared shitless. Yikes.....

I am three and a half months post opt and totally understand where you are coming from! The only person I told was my husband and kids. I didn't want anyone to know, I didn't want them to try and talk me out of it or hear any stories they had heard or read online🙄 The day before my surgery, I let my close family know, and then just went in he next day and had it done. The people work with still don't know I had the surgery, I told them it was something else, I work with mostly men so they don't even notice what I'm eating or drinking most of the time! At first I thought I had ad axe the biggest mistake! He first few weeks were rough, but now I am so glad I did it! I'm here if you need anything or have any questions

Hi Tracy-

Thank you for your response! WOW, congratulations on your weight loss! You and everyone are such inspirations :) I kick myself for having my own little pity party over here but reading through the struggles you've all gone through is such a huge help.

Im not even really nervous of any one thing in particular, at least not yet (!) I have last last week completed all of my pre-op requirements and will be submitted for approval on Monday, it hasnt really hit me that this is going to be my reality very soon!

...my life is going to change in a huge way...Im so happy that my knees wont hurt :) lol

Hi Tracy, Hope you are having a good day. I am 9 months post op , my highest weight ever was 289 and I am now bobbing between 191 and 193. It took me 5 years to finally get my nerve up to do this and when I did finally decide it was time The nerves left the scared feelings left, I went in had the surgery and had a few rough days but only regret is why I wasted those 5 years. I only told my husband, kids and sisters, and still haven't told anyone. If they ask,I simply say I am trying lo-carb high Protein which is exactly what we do. :) I am not going to tell you , you will never have a rough day, we do but they get better and better . I have so much more energy, My knees still hurt some but I deal with it. I would get down when my weight would stall but it has happened so many times I just except it now. IT HAPPENS. Keep being positive , keep telling yourself it will be a better life and pray. You will be fine . If you would like to stay in touch by email that is fine , I don't get on Bariatricpal too often so I may not see your post for a few days. My email is phart9@cox.net. Hope the nervousness goes away. You can do this.