Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Variation in athlete body types

So, I remember looking up athlete body types a few years back. My focus was on comparing sprinters to long distance runners.

I came across an interesting website that shows bodies from many different sports.

http://physicalculturist.ca/the-body-shapes-of-the-worlds-best-athletes-compared-side-by-side/

Since we are all here to remake ourselves, I figured it is a good time to ask whether you would be influenced by the finished physique of those in a chosen sport.

I know I would be. In college I had a dancer friend. Ballet, modern, etc. Her FEET! I never would want to do what she does (though I admire HER for it).

I've seen that article and love it!!! I think there's a certain amount of form follows function but I also think that having a particular body type leads to success in a particular sport as well once you get to these elite levels!

I picked up running for the health benefits. I wanted it to help me drop the weight and keep it off. But I will be the first to admit that I started yoga because of Madonna's arms and the physique of other yogis! I continued yoga because I love the mind/body aspect though.

And now I'm on crutches with a torn Achilles' tendon and realizing how much each of them has come to mean to be as I'm staring down the barrel of a three month recovery!

Oh no!!! What happened?

I think that although football players come in all shapes and sizes, that is where I would possibly fit in the best. I used to aspire to be the size of a running back...Maybe Marshawn Lynchish. Now, I would possibly like to have the shape, size, agility and athleticism of a quarterback. Pick one. Either way, I am glad that I am getting away from having the body type of a guard or tackle. lol.

I always have liked how female Volleyball players look. Usually shapely with some fat left in the right places.

Yeah, I don't think there is a man out there that wouldn't love to have a body like Michael Phelps. :)

Oh no!!! What happened?

Was running on a trail and just hit a hill wrong! Dang it!

12 hours ago, Berry78 said:

I love the swimmer physique.

I'm striving to get back there. I was a competitive swimmer for years. I still train with a trainer 3 times a week, swimming up towards 7-10k a week. We just started back after summer break.

12 hours ago, jess9395 said:

Was running on a trail and just hit a hill wrong! Dang it!

Oh man that suuuccckkkksss....

My hubby is in the army, and was in intensive training for 4 months, back in 2008. Within the first month he developed achilles tendonitis. He pushed through the rest of the 3 months of training, but when he came home it took like 6 months or a year to be pain free. Even now his tendon is thickened and prone to reinjury.

Sooo.. moral of the story.. do everything your doc tells you to (including wearing the boot at night if that is part of your recovery) and give that sucker time to heal. My hubby couldn't stay off of it, so made it that much worse.

My 17yo daughter just got a diagnosis of a partially torn tendon in her ankle (not achilles). It's been bugging her for 9 months and we finally got news of what the problem is. (She slipped when going down a mountain trail last winter.) She's likely looking at surgical repair.

... Same story... didn't rest it (cuz we didn't know), and it didn't heal.

That's an interesting article! I really didn't associate with any one of the types they showed. Unless I missed it, but they didn't have a figure competitor (muscular but softer cut) or a ballroom dancer physique listed. I would be a combination of these two, as I love to do weights (not body build though) and I love dancing (did latin dancing for 3 years...could have went competitive, but met my husband who doesn't do latin dancing, and well...nevermind, long story!) I credit my mama for her hourglass figure and my daddy for his muscular build and my whatever tiny percentage of latin blood I may have for my moves. :)

ballroom.jpg

untitled.png

Edited by Newme17

Oh man that suuuccckkkksss....
My hubby is in the army, and was in intensive training for 4 months, back in 2008. Within the first month he developed achilles tendonitis. He pushed through the rest of the 3 months of training, but when he came home it took like 6 months or a year to be pain free. Even now his tendon is thickened and prone to reinjury.
Sooo.. moral of the story.. do everything your doc tells you to (including wearing the boot at night if that is part of your recovery) and give that sucker time to heal. My hubby couldn't stay off of it, so made it that much worse.
My 17yo daughter just got a diagnosis of a partially torn tendon in her ankle (not achilles). It's been bugging her for 9 months and we finally got news of what the problem is. (She slipped when going down a mountain trail last winter.) She's likely looking at surgical repair.
... Same story... didn't rest it (cuz we didn't know), and it didn't heal.

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry!

I can't tell you how many stories like that I've heard!

Luckily I heard the "snap" when it happened and was immobilized before the end of the day... and I am paranoid so following the doc instructions to the letter! I will sleep in the boot as long as they tell me, thanks for the warning!

That's an interesting article! I really didn't associate with any one of the types they showed. Unless I missed it, but they didn't have a figure competitor (muscular but softer cut) or a ballroom dancer physique listed. I would be a combination of these two, as I love to do weights (not body build though) and I love dancing (did latin dancing for 3 years...could have went competitive, but met my husband who doesn't do latin dancing, and well...nevermind, long story!) I credit my mama for her hourglass figure and my daddy for his muscular build and my whatever tiny percentage of latin blood I may have for my moves. [emoji4]
ballroom.jpg.a370520c751d36fec4b44ccb7c113725.jpg
untitled.png.0a818ea13a199785d547f7132e5359c7.png

Beautiful!

Yeah the article came out in conjunction with the summer olympics a few years ago so if only features those athletes.

True story--I thought I was curvy till I lost weight... turns out I was just fat. My plastic surgeon gave me back a bit of my curves, but everything I have left is thanks to him!

On 9/14/2017 at 8:44 AM, jess9395 said:

I think there's a certain amount of form follows function but I also think that having a particular body type leads to success in a particular sport as well once you get to these elite levels!

I agree. I am tall and in High School the basketball coach was always trying to get me to play, but I hate basketball.

I think my long legs are great for running and I am not sure why I waited 49 years to start.

I don't have curves. I am just all legs. I think I look most like a long distance runner.

2 hours ago, jess9395 said:

True story--I thought I was curvy till I lost weight... turns out I was just fat.

Oh my goodness, this has GOT to be the funniest thing I've read on this board! I'm sorry....

I think we're all like Christmas gifts.. we think we know what's inside, but have to unwrap it to know for sure. Your sexy nighty turned out to just be socks...

Not sure what I have yet, although melted candle wax is probably part of it...