Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercising post op

19 minutes ago, jess9395 said:

Exercise, don't exercise....weight is lost through diet, heart health through exercise. Don't push it till you're ready.

With that out of the way, I don't understand the oft repeated not getting in enough calories to exercise. I ran a half marathon while eating 600-800 calories a day. And I wasn't a runner ever pre op. Started couch to 5k at a month or so out.

My body... most of our bodies... have plenty of stored calories, we have them stored up. That's what extra weight is. Our bodies will adapt to burning those when we exercise fasted or on low calories. Extended high intensity exercise, like running 45 minutes or more, then we deplete our glycogen stores and may need a boost...but in general, that's what our caloric stores are for, in my humble experience.

Jess....Did you ever feel weak at all after a run? Pre-surgery, I found that I was okay after cardio, but would feel like throwing up after a hard weight workout. I would also feel like I had no energy left. This went away after a larger meal.

During pre-op, it took 2 Premier Protein shakes after surgery to make me feel better. I would then have to have some Soup an hour or so later.

I am doing pretty intense weight workouts now on 900 calories per day, and I am honestly shocked by that. I used to get hungry late at night, and had to add a snack later in the evening to help. So 900 calories by eating 6X daily works for me. I don't know if I could do it on 600 calories though. Since I started lifting weights 4 weeks ago, I haven't been able to eat less than 700 calories without feeling really hungry.

After I lose another 25 pounds or so, I am going to start a couch to 5k program. I did one a few years back, and was able to build up to 3.5 miles without stopping. I was 290 pounds at the time, and already had bad knees before I started. Doing this on a treadmill helped as I couldn't run more than 5 minutes on pavement without feeling pain. Anyway, I loved how I felt after a run, but would spend the rest of that day icing my knees. My doctor told me that I should stop until I lost weight or I might end up needing a knee replacement at an early age. I took his advice, and I stopped. I am hoping that it will be easier while carrying 60-70 less pounds on my knees. I guess we shall see.

Anyway, I am inspired by your story. You are in a small minority of those that have surpassed their goal weight and kept it off long-term. I am working towards that goal, and hope that I can be successful as well.

Oh yeah, how many calories are you eating daily now at almost 4 years post-op?

Thank you!

Do I ever feel weak after a run? Rarely. If I'm pushing my speed or running a particularly challenging trail, yeah I can feel weak, but not often. Ditto with feeling increased hunger... during a really high mileage week, like when I'm marathon training, then I do find a small increase, but nothing out of proportion to the increased burn.

I also do yoga--the challenging strength building type, not the meditative stretching type, though I do that too--and I usually do a Protein Shake after that. It's an intentional choice, I know it's beneficial. It's not because I feel weak or hungry. I guess it's just part of the rhythm I've developed.

At this point at goal I eat anywhere from 1800-2800 calories a day. Depends on what's going on. I don't track every day, I spot check a couple of times a month.

I think I'm an oddball. So, I have always been a runner--until I got too overweight. I ran a marathon back in 1998. At the time I started training for that I was disgusted that my weight had increased to 205 lbs. Ha! Little did I know that in 2016 my weight would increase to 270. Well, long story short, I started exercising in preparation for the sleeve surgery starting in August. I got to where I ran a mile or so most days, and 6.55 miles on weekends. My pace increased steadily during this time. I ran a 5K race the Saturday before my surgery. I was sleeved on 10/18/2017. I asked my doctor when I could start exercising again. He said as soon as I feel comfortable. In the hospital they wanted us to walk 3 laps around the floor. I would always do 10. When I got home I was in pain from surgery, but it felt good to walk, so I spent my free time walking, and the weather was nice. The first three days I probably walked up to 10 miles a day. One week post op I decided to take a light jog, and I ran for one mile. My abdomen felt heavy, but didn't hurt. I took it slow. I met my surgeon later that day and told him I had run. He asked how it was and I told him just what I said above. He seemed encouraged by this. I started jogging every other day since then and my pace has steadily increased each time, and the heaviness has decreased. It has felt a little better each time I run. Ten days post-op I ran for 2 miles. I thought I would run for 3.1 miles, but started to tire and didn't push it. Then I kept up my 1.3 mile run per day (5 out of 7 days) since then until today, where I'm now on day 18 post op. Today I ran 3.28 miles, and I ran it almost at the same pace I ran my 5K race a few days before surgery. Felt really good, like I could have gone for longer.

during week 2 post-op I decided I'd try some sit-ups. I did one very carefully and it didn't hurt at all. So, I have been doing 20 sit-ups per day since then, and 20 push-ups. Yesterday I increased the sit-ups to 40. Just last week I started alternating resistance band training and dumbbell workouts. Not a lot of reps--just a set of 10 or so, for about 5-6 different exercises. it has felt great! I have lost 13 lbs. since surgery, but the weight loss has slowed down considerably after the first week. I can easily eat 1,500 calories a day between my Protein Shakes, Jello, pudding, applesauce and other allowed food. Today I ate some chopped pork rib meat, and it was delicious! I chewed it up very well and swallowed. No issues eating it. I feel like I could probably eat more if I wanted to, just not all at once. I don't feel my tastes have changed at all yet.

So, I don't know if I'm an oddball or not. I feel that I am. I read how people can't hardly walk for a week or a month and that they can hardly get down 600 calories per day and I am wondering what that is like, because I'm not like that at all. I also wonder if this means I'll plateau and not lose as much, or what. I want to lose my fat weight, but I don't want to lose my muscle weight. Overall, I feel good, so I'm not too worried about it. But my experience seems so different from what I've read of most other people's.

My doctor has wanted me walking since I woke up from surgery! They really push the fact that exercise and diet combined play an important role in losing weight and maintaining your weight loss. They suggested to start slow and work up to more strenuous activity when I am ready. They said no strength training until 6 weeks out, though. I've been doing a variety of things, like the elliptical, treadmill, and Arc Trainer. I even play Just Dance if I don't feel like going to the gym. I just don't go super hard.

Yeah some people argue that you can't get enough calories to support it or it will throw you into a stall....

Can be true for some people, it wasn't for me. I couldn't get more than 600 calories for a number of months and not more than 900 calories for 6-9 months... but I started couch to 5k at four weeks out and yoga shortly after. Did my first 5k at 5 months out and half marathon at 10 months out.

I now run half and full marathons--20-30 miles per week and 4-5 hours of yoga a week.

I reached goal at a year out and now maintain at around 2500 calories per day as a 5'6" 135lb woman.

So try and see what works for you!

I would love to start yoga. Do you have any recommendations for beginners yoga?

I would love to start yoga. Do you have any recommendations for beginners yoga?

Yoga is amazing and I recommend it to everyone!

Yin or restorative is a great place to start. It’s the slower relaxation type. Hatha focuses on holding poses and is often a good next step. Many yoga places do a “beginners” or “intro” class and it’s usually a Hatha class.

Then it’s kinda what you prefer. I love vinyasa, it’s a practice that links poses together into a “flow.” Some places call it “flow” yoga. I also like Ashtanga. It’s a challenging practice strength and flexibility wise, but you can sort of turn your brain off because it’s the same pose sequence every time.

There’s also classes they call “power yoga” and they are usually Hatha or Vinyasa with more of an emphasis on the strength poses than the flexibility ones.

I tend to avoid Bikram because I think the founder was kind of a jerk. Generic “hot” yoga is a better choice if you like that kind of thing (I don’t, lol!). There’s also the more meditation/breathwork ones like Khundalini. I do those occasionally but they aren’t my favorite.

Most gyms have basic classes. Most dedicated yoga studios (where I Take now, though I started at a gym) have specials where you can take unlimited classes for 30 days for a special deal for first time clients. It’s a good way to try different teachers.

And that’s my best reccomendation! Find an instructor who explains modifications for different people and abilities, one who encourages a non competitive “come as YOU are TODAY” approach, and one who clicks with you. I have my favorites and some I like when I’m in one mood and some I like when I’m in a different mood!

You will find a place you feel comfortable and keep experimenting until you find “your tribe”

Yoga is amazing and I recommend it to everyone!

Yin or restorative is a great place to start. It’s the slower relaxation type. Hatha focuses on holding poses and is often a good next step. Many yoga places do a “beginners” or “intro” class and it’s usually a Hatha class.

Then it’s kinda what you prefer. I love vinyasa, it’s a practice that links poses together into a “flow.” Some places call it “flow” yoga. I also like Ashtanga. It’s a challenging practice strength and flexibility wise, but you can sort of turn your brain off because it’s the same pose sequence every time.

There’s also classes they call “power yoga” and they are usually Hatha or Vinyasa with more of an emphasis on the strength poses than the flexibility ones.

I tend to avoid Bikram because I think the founder was kind of a jerk. Generic “hot” yoga is a better choice if you like that kind of thing (I don’t, lol!). There’s also the more meditation/breathwork ones like Khundalini. I do those occasionally but they aren’t my favorite.

Most gyms have basic classes. Most dedicated yoga studios (where I Take now, though I started at a gym) have specials where you can take unlimited classes for 30 days for a special deal for first time clients. It’s a good way to try different teachers.

And that’s my best reccomendation! Find an instructor who explains modifications for different people and abilities, one who encourages a non competitive “come as YOU are TODAY” approach, and one who clicks with you. I have my favorites and some I like when I’m in one mood and some I like when I’m in a different mood!

You will find a place you feel comfortable and keep experimenting until you find “your tribe”

Thank you for the detailed overview I have saved a picture of your response and am now looking in to Yin/Restorative yoga in my local area. Baltimore is a busy place, so im sure I’ll find something!

Thank you for the detailed overview I have saved a picture of your response and am now looking in to Yin/Restorative yoga in my local area. Baltimore is a busy place, so im sure I’ll find something!

Download the Mindbody app and you can search for classes in your local area!

Oh and some use the term “gentle” yoga! That’s a good start too!

Exercise has not been my best friend since high school. I just joined planet fitness and will be setting goals to lift weights 3 days a week with walking everyday. Waiting on my surgery date. I know it is small steps but every one counts!