Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

I'm only 17 days out. I'm having difficulty getting Protein in because I CANNOT deal with Protein Shakes. I hate all of them. They are too sweet for me. The only thing I can manage is bipro protein Water (20g protein) in lemon flavor bc it's sour. But I know I'll get tired of it quickly. I don't like the "unflavored" protein bc to me it's not unflavored. It changes the taste of what I put it in, and then I don't want it.

I'm trying to eat my protein, but there's no way I can eat enough at this point when I can only eat 3-4 Tbsp of any food. Also, I feel like I can eat too much at this point. Eventually I get full, but I thought I would only be able to eat 2 Tbsp of food at this point, and I AM getting hungry even though my nutritionist said it was all in my head. No way it's in my head. It's real hunger. I'm not eating too much - as soon as I feel full I stop and I'm having no pain or discomfort. I'm not eating "bad food" either.

I'm not getting enough water...even though I'm definitely trying. I'm getting less than half. I actually love plain water....I'm just not getting it in with my schedule (single parent working full-time and overtime).

All of the above is likely contributing to the fact that I haven't lost any weight in almost a week. I was 16 lbs down from surgery day, and now I've stayed at 248 for almost a week.

Ideas on how to get protein in that's not a shake? I haven't tried the Tomato Soup or chicken Soup protein yet (how best to use these?) but I would much rather savory than anything sweet. I despise every Protein Shake. I'll like it for one shake and then can't stomach it after that.

Also - do you think the lack of weight loss at this point is because of the protein/water issue? Doing fine with Vitamins. My doc said I could start doing "light running" at this point, and I laughed. I have barely enough energy to get through the day as it is - exercise is definitely not an option at this point. Any thoughts/ideas would be welcome!

Thanks all!

It's super frustrating when the weight loss stops so early. I am almost 3 weeks out, and lost 17 lbs the first 2 weeks and haven't lost in a week, and now I am scared that I am going to be someone that this doesn't work for. It's like my worst fear. I also have a hard time getting everything in when I am supposed. I really just want to drink Water, and can only do 1 Protein Shake a day, or I feel yucky the rest of the day. I have been eating refried Beans and ground chicken for meals with a tiny little measuring cup that is only 2 ounces. I ate a little more than that this last meal and feel absolutely sick. I also have no energy, and don't know how I am going to go back to work with no energy. So sorry your struggling, it's the worst. I am super grateful for this surgery, but am so scared that it isn't going to work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

You are not doing anything wrong. The three week stall is extremely normal. There are many, many discussions about it throughout the forum.
I had a stall at one week post-op that lasted for 10 days. Next thing I knew it broke and I lost 11 pounds in the following 2 weeks.
Every so often your body has to take a break and recovery from the quick weight loss and then it will start up again. This might be the first but it won't be the last. During a stall try to look for non-scale victories. I noticed that my body shrank a bit during my stall.
Keep working the plan your surgeon has given you and things will work.
In the general surgery section there is a food forum for recipes broken down by the stage you are in. Check those out for some savory Protein options and ideas.
I would also suggest to weigh once a week. The daily fluctuations are going to drive you mad.
Hang in there. You are doing great. It's kind of like Dory in Finding Nemo - "Just keep swimming". You are going to get there!

I am about 3 weeks our and Protein Shakes are almost making me gag. I'm going to try putting Okois yogurt and skim milk in a blender with maybe a quarter cup of Protein Shake. Hoping that will do it. I also wonder if I am able to eat too much. I can eat about 4-5 Tb ff refried Beans thinned with broth. So weird to think that may be too much! Still trying to figure out what it feels like to be "full."

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

@gotime0810 That was extremely helpful. It's hard knowing you're eating next to nothing and your body isn't responding. It's crazy. Thank you for the sanity check.

Try egg drop Soup for a Chinese place that doesn't thicken the broth. I liked adding a dash of sirracha to it too. I was allowed to have it while on my liquids and it was great for Fluid totals too

HW-292 • SW (6/29/17) 256.6 • CW 219.8

Hi all, I am new here. I had surgery Aug 23rd but started this journey back in January at 357lbs. I have lost 45lbs total since January, 25lbs post-operative. I started week 3 last Thursday and am having the same stall (I actually put on 2 lbs! last week :( ). Talk about discouraging... I'm glad I found this thread because I was thinking "all this pain and drama for 25lbs? What a letdown!" It is nice to know that this is normal. I can't wait for the weight loss to start up again. How does that happen?

Side-note: I'm finding bowel movements to be a bit elusive. Maybe once every 3 or 4 days and very little output. I don't feel constipated and often times when I think it is time to go, I end up with a lot of gas instead. Is this normal too?

According to my NUT, you kind of just have to wait out a stall but if I were eating real food I should take a look at the quality of food I was eating. I'm assuming you are not on solids yet so I'd suggest talking to your NUT or surgeon for advise and/or peace of mind.

I feel like the BM issue is normal too. We aren't exactly consuming a lot of Fiber. ;-)

1 hour ago, gotime0810 said:

According to my NUT, you kind of just have to wait out a stall but if I were eating real food I should take a look at the quality of food I was eating. I'm assuming you are not on solids yet so I'd suggest talking to your NUT or surgeon for advise and/or peace of mind.

I feel like the BM issue is normal too. We aren't exactly consuming a lot of Fiber. ;-)

Thanks for the response! I spoke to my surgeon's office and they pretty much said the same thing. "Stay the course" be patient, things will pick up again soon. The only "real" food my doc suggested in week 3 was lean ground beef, eggs, ground sausage, and very well cooked veggies. So that's what I'm doing along with all the apple sauce consistency foods like yogurt, oatmeal, cream of wheat, etc.

I'm thinking about adding that clear fiber stuff to my diet to help with regularity. Doc said that was ok to do too.

10 hours ago, tonyfarson said:

Hi all, I am new here. I had surgery Aug 23rd but started this journey back in January at 357lbs. I have lost 45lbs total since January, 25lbs post-operative. I started week 3 last Thursday and am having the same stall (I actually put on 2 lbs! last week :( ). Talk about discouraging... I'm glad I found this thread because I was thinking "all this pain and drama for 25lbs? What a letdown!" It is nice to know that this is normal. I can't wait for the weight loss to start up again. How does that happen?

Side-note: I'm finding bowel movements to be a bit elusive. Maybe once every 3 or 4 days and very little output. I don't feel constipated and often times when I think it is time to go, I end up with a lot of gas instead. Is this normal too?

Yep same issue w Constipation. Have been having Miralax and that is starting to help. I also heard that if you're not getting your Water and Protein in, it stalls your weight loss. So I'm making a concerted effort for both. Hoping it makes a difference soon! Good luck!

Hi all, I am new here. I had surgery Aug 23rd but started this journey back in January at 357lbs. I have lost 45lbs total since January, 25lbs post-operative. I started week 3 last Thursday and am having the same stall (I actually put on 2 lbs! last week [emoji20] ). Talk about discouraging... I'm glad I found this thread because I was thinking "all this pain and drama for 25lbs? What a letdown!" It is nice to know that this is normal. I can't wait for the weight loss to start up again. How does that happen?

Benefiber , stool softener, walk walk walk.. 600 steps per hour is doable... walk wherever you are. I walk inside the house in a figure of 8 ... walking moves things along. I had bad bad Constipation n I've been sleeved on 25 August. My nutritionist asked me to take fiber gummies too. I add half a banana in my shake + ground flax seed. I'll do whatever it takes to move things along. Stay positive & channel your energy to solving the problem.
You'll be good I know it's frustrating.. but you will figure what works for u I promise!

Make sure to take your thyroid meds if you have hypo & if u take Iron that could slow things down big time too . Tc !

Stalls are not only completely normal but part of the process. It will pass, just keep with it. Stalling around 3 weeks happens to many many people. It happened to me and I had the same feelings you all are feeling. I'm now 9 months out and 80 pounds down from surgery (110 total).

I really like the Atkins products. They have a Protein Water, called Lift Protein that comes in 3 flavors and they aren't overly sweet. They also have the best shakes in my opinion. The strawberry tastes like strawberry milk.

Early on I went with chicken salad, tuna fish, cheese and eggs to get much of my protein. It gets easier as you progress so you just have to try and get as much as you possibly can.