Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Skipping pureed

I was sleeved on 8/22/17 (2 weeks out). Everything has been great as far as healing goes, and what my new pouch/sleeve/tummy can tolerate.

I've gone straight from full liquids (cream Soups, oatmeal, etc) to soft foods stage. No issues.

Examples of things I can eat at a time would be 2 wheat thin crackers with chicken salad, green Beans (literally, like 4 small ones) & some baked potato with shredded cheese, peach slices & cheerios (plain, not honey nut, and kinda soggy sitting in milk).

I have not once blended or pureed anything (puke, barf, disgusting!) and so far so good. I just chew really well, take small bites, and eat slowly as to not overfill my pouch.

Anyone else questioning their success?? In regards to food tolerance, that is.

I see so many people in the puree stage, and I'm just wondering if I have any bari-family peeps out there who are just fine 2 weeks out with soft foods.

I'm not trying to sabotage my surgery, but I feel totally alone in the fact that I'm "ok" sooner rather than later. It's kinda messing with my head, ya know? Like, am I really ok? And, it makes me question whether I'll still have such a limited pouch in a few months.

3 minutes ago, Whogoesthere said:

I have not once blended or pureed anything (puke, barf, disgusting!) and so far so good. I just chew really well, take small bites, and eat slowly as to not overfill my pouch.

I am with you, or at least, I will be...my surgery date is October 10. One of the major hang ups for me was the Puree Stage..because as you say, "puke, barf, disgusting". Well put by the way. :D The though of baby food consistency makes we want to gag even as I type this.

I will be skipping the Puree portion of the program. Or at least, modifying a bit so I don't vomit.

I am with you, or at least, I will be...my surgery date is October 10. One of the major hang ups for me was the Puree Stage..because as you say, "puke, barf, disgusting". Well put by the way. [emoji3] The though of baby food consistency makes we want to gag even as I type this.
I will be skipping the Puree portion of the program. Or at least, modifying a bit so I don't vomit.

There are people who have no problems at all eating baby food & puree'ing anything! I have texture issues and cannot fathom the thought, lol.

Just now, Whogoesthere said:

There are people who have no problems at all eating baby food & puree'ing anything! I have texture issues and cannot fathom the thought, lol.

I, like you, am not one of them. Texture is the issue here for me too. Love the flavor of bananas, but eating one? ugh.

I had my surgery on 8/16 and I pretty much skipped pureed, aside from refried Beans, but since my program allowed soy at this stage I went right to the crumbles and never looked back. I am eating my first bites of chicken today.

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

My surgeon's program at 2 weeks combines the puree and soft food stage. The NUT advised me to start slow with a list of 8-10 foods and then said after 2 or 3 days, if I'm tolerating those well, I can switch on over to soft foods. I, like you, have had NO problems tolerating anything except one Protein Drink when I was day 5 or 6. I can eat two melba toasts with 2 oz of hummus, sliced deli meat on a melba toast with greek cream cheese, tilapia, refried Beans and cheese (this is the one that sits the heaviest). I haven't tried chicken or tuna salad yet, but im assuming they'll sit like the tilapia (which i mixed with 1/2 T of chipotle sauce...yumm!!!). I even had the sous vide egg white bites from starbucks this morning (took out the peppers though) and had no problems. (YAY!) Was only able to eat one, but took the second one home for lunch. That's right folks, Breakfast and lunch only cost me $4. Ha ha! I, too, chew things really well and eat slow and stop as soon as I feel anything in my chest/tummy. It's been pretty successful. No babyfood for me!

I am just wondering if this is all with the okay of the surgeon and/or nutritionist? I've had no problem tolerating anything so far but I'm scared to do anything that might threaten the sleeve and recovery. But if I could scramble an egg and eat it now, I would. So far I've just had yogurt and creamed Soup . . . can't imagine weeks more of just this.

I eat scrambled eggs with shredded cheese frequently. Dr says at this point if my pouch can handle it, it's fine. Small amounts, chewed well.

My surgeon's program at 2 weeks combines the puree and soft food stage. The NUT advised me to start slow with a list of 8-10 foods and then said after 2 or 3 days, if I'm tolerating those well, I can switch on over to soft foods. I, like you, have had NO problems tolerating anything except one Protein drink when I was day 5 or 6. I can eat two melba toasts with 2 oz of hummus, sliced deli meat on a melba toast with greek cream cheese, tilapia, refried Beans and cheese (this is the one that sits the heaviest). I haven't tried chicken or tuna salad yet, but im assuming they'll sit like the tilapia (which i mixed with 1/2 T of chipotle sauce...yumm!!!). I even had the sous vide egg white bites from starbucks this morning (took out the peppers though) and had no problems. (YAY!) Was only able to eat one, but took the second one home for lunch. That's right folks, breakfast and lunch only cost me $4. Ha ha! I, too, chew things really well and eat slow and stop as soon as I feel anything in my chest/tummy. It's been pretty successful. No babyfood for me!

Wow, that is awesome!! Makes me feel better about things.

I never pureed anything. I am super texture sensitive. I did another week of full liquids, then went to soft foods. I was fine. I will starve before I eat blended food.

My surgeon had us on soft food by the time I left the hospital 2 days later. We were able to eat yogurt, cottage cheese, pudding, Soups, oatmeal, stuff like that. I dont think your alone, I was the same way. Sometimes I wish it was a little harder for me, i havent had problems with too much other than eggs, theyve bothered me a few times.

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm 4 weeks out today and have not had problems with anything yet. My surgeon okay'd me to move on to real food since I'm handling everything well. I need to use up the cans of chicken salad i have but can't wait to start incorporating real, whole food. I still have to chew, chew, chew but that will be a forever thing.

Interesting fact - I was reading through the new literature he gave me today and said the stomach opening is only the size of an M&M. O,O