Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August Sleevers-How are you doing??

I had my sleeve on 8/9 and doing ok. I'm so sick of the puree. I eat the same thing every day, liquid eggs, Protein Drink cottage cheese, greek yogurt. Sometimes I have V8, ricotta cheese or baby food sweet potatoes. I know I can tolerate these foods & next Tuesday I'm going to the Dr. and should be switching to real food.

For meds they had me taking pills no need to crush them. I was afraid at first but the nurse said it was ok so I went for it. Haven't had a problem with taking regular meds that was but I have chewable for my Vitamins.

Did anyone else gain weight after surgery? I lost 10 lbs prior to surgery but gained 8lbs right after surgery. I'm doing fine now that was a bit of a shock for me.

My wife said my favorite jeans were getting loose, so I tried them without the belt. They're easily 3 or 4 inches too big. I went to order new ones, and found that the size I want is the smallest one the Big & Tall jeans I'd been wearing even make. I think I'm going to hold out another few weeks and see if I can buy non-Big&Tall jeans for the first time in years. I've lost around 40 pounds between the pre-op and the first two weeks after surgery. I start purees tomorrow, which I am both excited about and dreading.

Edited by etc. etc. etc.

You should try to hold out as long as possible. Luckily I have clothes in smaller sizes but I already have many tops and pants I can no longer wear because they are too big. Feeling really good about that.

2 hours ago, hboston said:

I had my sleeve on 8/9 and doing ok. I'm so sick of the puree. I eat the same thing every day, liquid eggs, Protein Drink cottage cheese, greek yogurt. Sometimes I have V8, ricotta cheese or baby food sweet potatoes. I know I can tolerate these foods & next Tuesday I'm going to the Dr. and should be switching to real food.

For meds they had me taking pills no need to crush them. I was afraid at first but the nurse said it was ok so I went for it. Haven't had a problem with taking regular meds that was but I have chewable for my Vitamins.

Did anyone else gain weight after surgery? I lost 10 lbs prior to surgery but gained 8lbs right after surgery. I'm doing fine now that was a bit of a shock for me.

I gained immediately after surgery too, about 10 lbs, but it all can off within the first few days home. I assumed it was swelling.

It did come off and I'm happy with my weight loss I'm down to 278 so I'm on my way.

The immediate post op weight gain is attributed to the Iv fluids & edema. Will settle down ..
what posture do you guys sleep in? I'm finding it most uncomfy to sleep

I sleep on my left side. At first it was hard to turn so I slept on my back because of the pain but I'm 3 weeks out so that pain is gone. I'm still tired and take naps every day.

Well, I just tossed my first liquid meal of the day, which is not particularly a good sign. I'm wondering how long I should wait before I "eat" again.

I got sleeved on the 29th. My hospital stay was a little rough. For roughly 48 hours after my surgery, I did nothing besides throwing up blood. I couldn't drink anything and they stopped all Fluid intake besides IVs. I was so scared that I may have ruptured my staple line due to all the forceful vomits. The staff took numerous blood samples and kept a closer eye on me while working on an effective anti-nausea concoction. As the hours passed, eventually the blood coming up was starting to clot which was a good sign. After a couple different med switches, I felt 1000x better. Now that I'm home, the only thing plaguing me is severe back pain. I'm hoping that it's from being so sick early on and using already tender muscles. Overall, a few extra rough days have turned into a light at the end of the tunnel. I'm excited to see the changes that have still yet to come.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using BariatricPal mobile app

This is going to sound really goofy, but it helped: the hospital I had my surgery at gave me a Teddy Bear named "Bari Bear." He's kind of firm and mostly flat along the back. I was told to hold him against my stomach while coughing. It totally helped, as without it, a good cough felt like my guts were going to pop out. It's been helping me find a comfortable position to sleep in, too, as I sleep on my sides and having that stupid little bear squeezed up against me made my stomach feel supported instead of splayed out.

You could maybe achieve the same thing with a firm pillow, though.

40 minutes ago, etc. etc. etc. said:

This is going to sound really goofy, but it helped: the hospital I had my surgery at gave me a Teddy Bear named "Bari Bear." He's kind of firm and mostly flat along the back. I was told to hold him against my stomach while coughing. It totally helped, as without it, a good cough felt like my guts were going to pop out. It's been helping me find a comfortable position to sleep in, too, as I sleep on my sides and having that stupid little bear squeezed up against me made my stomach feel supported instead of splayed out.

You could maybe achieve the same thing with a firm pillow, though.

Sleeved on the 29th. I actually brought my own teddy bear my mom had gotten from City of Hope for her cancer surgery, same concept. All my nurses loved it LOL. He really helped a lot, I agree.

I'm doing good. At home, very slowly getting Protein and Water in. The pain in my right side hasn't gone away and the gas pain is intense, but otherwise, up and walking. I have lost some of the bloat I came home with. So far, so good... Hopefully it continues this way.

Oh, and I sleep on my left side. With a pillow, it's nice and comfy. I did have to come home with oxygen, but luckily, it's not too bad.

Edited by KNJScorpio

The immediate post op weight gain is attributed to the Iv fluids & edema. Will settle down ..
what posture do you guys sleep in? I'm finding it most uncomfy to sleep

I sleep partially on my side partially on my stomach hugging a body pillow and blanket and I have another body pillow and pillow wedged behind me. As in further out from surgery (9 days) I don't need the blanket and pillow as much. But even in the hospital I slept on my side and had nurses basically tuck me in with pillows on either side and I'd kind of hug the fleece blanket I brought.

I got sleeved on the 29th. My hospital stay was a little rough. For roughly 48 hours after my surgery, I did nothing besides throwing up blood. I couldn't drink anything and they stopped all Fluid intake besides IVs. I was so scared that I may have ruptured my staple line due to all the forceful vomits. The staff took numerous blood samples and kept a closer eye on me while working on an effective anti-nausea concoction. As the hours passed, eventually the blood coming up was starting to clot which was a good sign. After a couple different med switches, I felt 1000x better. Now that I'm home, the only thing plaguing me is severe back pain. I'm hoping that it's from being so sick early on and using already tender muscles. Overall, a few extra rough days have turned into a light at the end of the tunnel. I'm excited to see the changes that have still yet to come.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using BariatricPal mobile app

I had severe back pain for a couple of days just from the hospital bed. My back back was easily twice as bad as my stomach/incision pain.

I'm so sorry you went through all that vomiting. I just threw up my liquid oxycodone once when my body said not happening lady. It wasn't even serious vomiting and it was awful.

I was sleeved on the 7th and am soooooo close to soft Foods-next Monday!! Every time I introduce a new food in the lovely puréed stage I feel icky after. I don't fully dump but I get hot and sweaty and have to lay down for a bit. It does pass. Today was the worst with a food choice that may have been too fatty. When I introduced some puréed chicken salad, it was a bit too rich too. I'm back to ricotta bake, Protein Shakes and Soups. I'm excited to have a soft scrambled egg on Monday!! My family is off to get burgers and fries and I miss being able to go get some too. But man, if I were to even take a bite, ugh... I'd be bed bound for the night. Now I fully understand why the dietician told me to make sure I try new foods at home! This whole thing is crazy! I'll be 4 weeks post op Monday! Wow! Flying by!!!! God bless bariatric hot chocolate made with milk otherwise without the 25 grams of a Protein boost, I would not be getting enough protein! I'm also still struggling to get all my liquids in.

5'7 HW: 256 SW: 248
CW: 235 At 2 week post op GW: 150
Fantasy GW: 135 Sleeved 8/7

It's interesting how each surgeon is different. I was sleeved on 8/15 and was allowed to start purees and soft foods (scrambled eggs, cream of wheat) last Tuesday. Egg beaters with some fat free mozzarella stick has been my go to meal LOL

Still struggling to get my liquids in as well as my Water goal, but I feel pretty good!

good luck!