Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else have a staged surgery lapband removal and waited for vsg months out?

If so how has your journey been? I'm 3 weeks post op from vsg

Surgeon highly recommended healing in between surgeries

Curious to know what your weight loss goals/achieved have been?

Lapband placed: 8/2011

Lapband removed: 3/2017

VSG: 8/2/2017

I had my band in 2008 and lost 70lbs. Had the band removed in December 2016 and was sleeved on March 20th, 2017. As of this morning, I've lost 98lbs. 38 pounds until I hit goal!

Recovery from the band removal was super easy; the VSG recovery wasn't hard, but it definitely was harder than the band placement and removal.

This is awesome!! Thank you for sharing! I'm reading a lot of band to sleeve conversions at same surgery. I'm so glad that you're kicking @$$!!!! Keep up the good work! I'm looking forward to the same. As far as surgery with band removal I'm on the same page. Surgeon said bandsters lose at a slower pace and I was okay with that but you have given me a boost cause you're almost at the 100 mark and that's a huge deal!!!!!
I started at 230 and I can't get past the 201 number on the scale it's driving me nuts along with weighing myself every morning..
Good luck to you!!!![emoji813]️

It's totally normal (it happens to almost all of us) to stall between weeks 3 and 5 post-op. I'm also seeing a trend of stalling again around month 5. Most of the March 2017 sleevers I know report stalling about 5 months out.

It's true that revision patients lose slower -- I made a very conscious decision to throw everything I have at losing wait in the first six months. I started exercising (walking) 2 weeks post-op. At month 5, I'm doing cardio (elliptical) 4x a week, weight training 4x a week and doing yoga 2x a week. My calories are hovering between 800 and 1000 a day. As my weight loss has started to slow a bit, I've just started experimenting with Intermittent Fasting. I figure the harder I work during the "honeymoon" phase, the more likely it is that I'll have good habits to sustain me as I approach goal and maintenance.

It's totally normal (it happens to almost all of us) to stall between weeks 3 and 5 post-op. I'm also seeing a trend of stalling again around month 5. Most of the March 2017 sleevers I know report stalling about 5 months out.

It's true that revision patients lose slower -- I made a very conscious decision to throw everything I have at losing wait in the first six months. I started exercising (walking) 2 weeks post-op. At month 5, I'm doing cardio (elliptical) 4x a week, weight training 4x a week and doing yoga 2x a week. My calories are hovering between 800 and 1000 a day. As my weight loss has started to slow a bit, I've just started experimenting with Intermittent Fasting. I figure the harder I work during the "honeymoon" phase, the more likely it is that I'll have good habits to sustain me as I approach goal and maintenance.

Kristen you are an inspiration!
I was 3 weeks post op on Wednesday and the scale hasn't gone past the 201 mark.. it bummed me out and I read your post and I smiled! This is wonderful! [emoji4] I've been cleared to walk on the treadmill since my 1 week po check and this is all I've been doing. On my good days I get 40-60 minutes. On my low energy days I can get in 15-30 minutes, plus the chores around the house..I haven't scrubbed a tub yet because I'm scared to get that low. And you are so right about the honeymoon phase, get it in while you're newly sleeved.. I haven't been tracking my calories which I should actually start doing.. puréed foods have been bleh! Did you track your caloric intake from the start?
Looking forward to hitting the 100's [emoji2]

I had my band placed In 2009 and did very well until this year.

I'm shooting for a single surgery for revision on Sep 9, 2017. One of the reasons I chose Mexico was because I thought they would be more likely to do it in one shot. The other reason for Mexico is I have a relatively low BMI (32) and no comorbidities.

I never thought the single versus dial stage option was for a better weight loss outcome. It's my understanding that some doctors think the 2 procedures is a little safer. I think otherwise, I prefer the idea of getting cut open and anesthetized only once.

I had my band placed In 2009 and did very well until this year.

I'm shooting for a single surgery for revision on Sep 9, 2017. One of the reasons I chose Mexico was because I thought they would be more likely to do it in one shot. The other reason for Mexico is I have a relatively low BMI (32) and no comorbidities.

I never thought the single versus dial stage option was for a better weight loss outcome. It's my understanding that some doctors think the 2 procedures is a little safer. I think otherwise, I prefer the idea of getting cut open and anesthetized only once.

I agree with you! Going under the knife and anesthesia is better in one shot, no doubt about that!
I followed my surgeons recommendation to have a staged surgery because of my issues during lapband etc.. not to mention the scar tissue that needed to heal.

I follow a few people on Instagram that had a successful VSG surgery with this surgeon... if you haven't found your surgeon yet

Check this site out for Mexico VSG Surgery:
https://obesitycontrolcenter.com/team/ariel-ortiz/

Best of luck to you on your journey!
[emoji4]

I agree with you! Going under the knife and anesthesia is better in one shot, no doubt about that!
I followed my surgeons recommendation to have a staged surgery because of my issues during lapband etc.. not to mention the scar tissue that needed to heal.

I follow a few people on Instagram that had a successful VSG surgery with this surgeon... if you haven't found your surgeon yet

Check this site out for Mexico VSG Surgery:
https://obesitycontrolcenter.com/team/ariel-ortiz/

Best of luck to you on your journey!
[emoji4]

Haha, Dr Ortiz at OCC is actually where I'm going :)

I had my LapBand placed in San Diego. But I know Dr Ortiz via my sister as he placed her band. I was so impressed with him personally and his facility that I started getting my fills there. I knew when it was time for revision, that he would be my number one choice.

Haha, Dr Ortiz at OCC is actually where I'm going [emoji4]

I had my LapBand placed in San Diego. But I know Dr Ortiz via my sister as he placed her band. I was so impressed with him personally and his facility that I started getting my fills there. I knew when it was time for revision, that he would be my number one choice.

No kidding?!

That's awesome! Best of luck and fill us in on your journey!

[emoji5]

If so how has your journey been? I'm 3 weeks post op from vsg
Surgeon highly recommended healing in between surgeries
Curious to know what your weight loss goals/achieved have been?

I had my band August 2011, got down from 210 to 160 but then I started throwing up with every meal so I'd eat more because I threw up and got up to 215. I had my band out 3/31, sleeve done 5/31, and am currently 180 so I'm down 35 pounds in 3 months. I am working out a lot with weights so my body is getting smaller but the scale isn't showing it at much. I'm content but I can't wait to get into the 170's!!

I had my band August 2011, got down from 210 to 160 but then I started throwing up with every meal so I'd eat more because I threw up and got up to 215. I had my band out 3/31, sleeve done 5/31, and am currently 180 so I'm down 35 pounds in 3 months. I am working out a lot with weights so my body is getting smaller but the scale isn't showing it at much. I'm content but I can't wait to get into the 170's!!

That's fantastic!
Remember muscle mass weighs more than fat mass so you could very well be getting healthier while not actually losing weight. I had this happen to me when I was first banded. Best way to find out is to get a real body fat analysis done.

That's fantastic!
Remember muscle mass weighs more than fat mass so you could very well be getting healthier while not actually losing weight. I had this happen to me when I was first banded. Best way to find out is to get a real body fat analysis done.

Where can I get one of those done?

48 minutes ago, AmandaWho said:

Where can I get one of those done?

Look up "hydrostatic body fat testing" in your area. It is the one where they put you in a pool and dunk you to weigh you under Water. By doing this, the only weight that registers on the scale is fat weight, you subtract that from total weight so that you can see the amount of fat and lean mass in your body. You can also get this tested by personal trainers with calipers and some scales do it with electrical current, but neither of those methods are very accurate. The dunk test is really the gold standard to check body fat, but its a little more expensive.

It was very helpful to me early on in my lapband journey because I found out I was in fact losing weight rapidly, but it wasn't a good loss. It turns out I was losing muscle mass rather than fat mass. I made a slight modification in the gym (more weights, less cardio) and boom, -muscle mass started increasing and fat mass started decreasing. The problem is that without knowing this body fat %, you might be fooled into thinking you aren't losing weight properly because muscle weighs more than fat.

Had mine done 2011 had it removed 2 months ago but could only have it removed not sleeved due to the mess the band had done to my stomach - band had eaten its way into my liver [emoji51]
Originally requested to have it removed & to have bypass at the same time but I am swaying to the sleeve now but still unsure as I had bad reflux with the band & here you have the same issue with the sleeve? Xx

Had mine done 2011 had it removed 2 months ago but could only have it removed not sleeved due to the mess the band had done to my stomach - band had eaten its way into my liver [emoji51]
Originally requested to have it removed & to have bypass at the same time but I am swaying to the sleeve now but still unsure as I had bad reflux with the band & here you have the same issue with the sleeve? Xx

I had surgery Thursday (9/7/17). Band removed, hiatal hernia repaired, sleeve in place - all at once. There was a lot of scar tissue around my band. Dr said they almost decided to stop at band removal and make me come back in 6 months. Luckily for me, he pushed thru and did it all at once. I was on the table almost 3 hours. Everybody else in my group (sleeve only) was in the OR for only abut an hour.