Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much help did you need?

So I'm trying to plan for after my surgery (3 weeks away) and I'm wondering how much help everyone needed. My wife is going to need to go back to work a day or two after I get home. Should I ask my parents or a friend to come stay with me during the day?

Also, how was doing stairs? My bedroom is on the second floor.

In my humble opinion, arranging for a friend or family member to stay with you to help after the surgery is a tad bit overkill. However, your mileage (and recovery) may vary.

It's a relatively minor laporascopic surgery that takes less than 60 minutes in most people. Mine was a same-day surgery and I drove myself home 45+ miles from the hospital that night.

Nonetheless, the extra helping hands could be useful. Good luck to you. :)

In my humble opinion, arranging for a friend or family member to stay with you to help after the surgery is a tad bit overkill. However, your mileage (and recovery) may vary.
It's a relatively minor laporascopic surgery that takes less than 60 minutes in most people. Mine was a same-day surgery and I drove myself home 45+ miles from the hospital that night.
Nonetheless, the extra helping hands could be useful. Good luck to you. [emoji4]

Did you have a DS? I've been told two days overnight in the hospital, which seems consistent with what I've read. I'm shocked to hear you were discharged the same day and drove yourself home! My hospital requires a responsible adult pick you up on discharge.

While it is laparoscopic, I certainly would not describe this as a minor procedure and nothing I've read indicates the norm is less than 60 minutes. My doctor says an hour and a half to two hours surgery.

I'm curious if we are talking different procedures or if practices are just that variant.

3 minutes ago, CJ Sunshine said:

I'm curious if we are talking different procedures or if practices are just that variant.

Oops...I had a sleeve.

It pays to read the name of the forum before replying. :)

Lol! I'm still pretty impressed you could drive yourself home after a sleeve! You sound like one tough cookie!

@cjsunshine I had a full DS. The planned hospital stay was 4 days but I stayed 5 due to a slight fever. My mother then stayed with me for almost a week. I needed her. Preparing the little I was eating, helping me walk outside 4x/day, etc.

Can you sleep on the ground floor? Stairs may be tiring and might pull on your stomach. Esp. as you need to walk a good deal to heal. You also may want a recliner to sleep in for a while. I didn't but had to sleep with my legs up as my ankles became very swollen for a week or so.

Edited by Postop

1 hour ago, Postop said:

@cjsunshine I had a full DS. The planned hospital stay was 4 days but I stayed 5 due to a slight fever. My mother then stayed with me for almost a week. I needed her. Preparing the little I was eating, helping me walk outside 4x/day, etc.

Can you sleep on the ground floor? Stairs may be tiring and might pull on your stomach. Esp. as you need to walk a good deal to heal. You also may want a recliner to sleep in for a while. I didn't but had to sleep with my legs up as my ankles became very swollen for a week or so.

Unfortunately, there is no shower on the first floor, so I'm most likely going to have no choice but to do the stairs once or twice a day. My wife suggested I might want to stay upstairs for the first few days...but I know I will need to walk...and I'm not sure circles around the bedroom will be enough...besides, I cannot imagine being comfortable in bed all day. I have very bad knees (one of the reasons I've decided to have surgery) so I know this part is going to be challenging.

@cjsunshine You'll do as much as you're able. Maybe up and down the stairs a couple of times a day so you can walk outside.

So important to drink. Sipping is really the most important thing. Much more important than eating at the the beginning.

Oh, I just saw you're going to Roslin. Guess you're having the SIPS. I've had a couple of shoulder surgeries at Lenox Hill. Found it a good place.

Edited by Postop

1 minute ago, Postop said:

So important to drink. Sipping is really the most important thing. Much more important than eating at the the beginning.

I've been working at upping my Water intake now...so I'm in the habit of drinking water frequently...fortunately, I actually like water. It was one of the few things they told me to work on before the surgery. I know I can't use a straw after the surgery, but what about water bottles that are the kind you squeeze? are those okay?

Hi,

I was glad that I had someone around. I mostly stayed upstairs. We have a mini-fridge in our bedroom, so that's nice. However, I needed help getting warm foods and such. Also, I was a bit afraid to be alone. (I have a deathly fear of vomiting.) You'll probably be okay after a few days, but you may want someone to at least check on you. I had my surgery on a Tuesday, got out on Thursday, and went on a major cleaning spree in the middle of the night between Sunday and Monday. So, there's that. (In addition to the DS, I had my gall bladder removed and my hiatal hernia repaired.)

Edited by Twonky

Just now, CJ Sunshine said:

I've been working at upping my Water intake now...so I'm in the habit of drinking Water frequently...fortunately, I actually like water. It was one of the few things they told me to work on before the surgery. I know I can't use a straw after the surgery, but what about water bottles that are the kind you squeeze? are those okay?

@cjsunshine Gee, I don't know. You're right, no straws to begin with. But I never thought about a squeeze bottle. I'd suggest you ask Sharon.

Oh, one more thing. I didn't really have much trouble with the stairs. I just took it slow.

12 minutes ago, Postop said:

Oh, I just saw you're going to Roslin. Guess you're having the SIPS. I've had a couple of shoulder surgeries at Lenox Hill. Found it a good place.

Yes, I'm having the SIPS modified DS. I'm doing it at Northern Westchester Hospital, where he also practices. I live in Westchester county. It is considered one of the best hospitals up here...I actually prefer it over Lenox Hill because it's not a teaching hospital. As a former medical malpractice attorney, I prefer residents don't touch me.

7 minutes ago, CJ Sunshine said:

Yes, I'm having the SIPS modified DS. I'm doing it at Northern Westchester Hospital, where he also practices. I live in Westchester county. It is considered one of the best hospitals up here...I actually prefer it over Lenox Hill because it's not a teaching hospital. As a former medical malpractice attorney, I prefer residents don't touch me.

Oh. Then you must have a different nutrit. than Sharon. She's at Lenox Hill.

I was fine by myself, be careful standing up and go slow on steps if you have them. After about two days I was fine and felt pretty good. Just take it easy.