Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone ever get expedited approval? (UHC Gold)

Hello!

So I've got a bit of a pressing issue at hand here, aside from the being severely obese. I'm in need of a stem cell transplant (acute lymphoblastic leukemia) which, understandably, my doctor refuses to go on with until I lose "significant" weight. I am 31, 5'7", 430lbs.

He has recommended that WLS is a viable option. Without a SCT, I have been told my leukemia will likely continue to relapse.

I'm in the beginning stages of doing all the pre-op requirements.

I have UHC gold in the state of Indiana. Anyone else have a similar experience? Feeling a bit hopeless.

Thanks!

I also have UHC. I don't have other health issues, but I want the surgery. UHC has been incredibly difficult to deal with here in New Hampshire. the hospital that is 15 mins away is in network, but the entire bariatric team is not. so strike that. UHC sends me to the next nearest place, 1 hour away. so every consult / appointment is a 3 hour event. 1 hour to drive to, 1 hour for the appointment, 1 hour back. and finding IN network people for each type of appointment is like playing treasure hunt. it's getting me down, but I refuse to give up. I hope you get what you need and don't give up!

Hi, Lauri! Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having. Don't stand down, though.

I'm in the beginning stages as well. My consultation is next week with the surgeon, psychologist, etc. I called UHC just to confirm my plan did cover the procedure. They do with:

BMI over 40, or 35 with comorbidities

5 year documentation of morbid obesity

6 month notice before surgery

21+ years of age

That's UHC choice (***) I believe. Now, I live in Indiana but my hospital of choice is University of Chicago. That's where I've had previous (gall bladder) surgery, my oncologist, inpatient chemo, etc. has all taken place and is in network. I didn't think that the bariatric team might be out of network. Hmm now I'm a bit worried.

Sorry, just providing a lot of seemingly needless information on the off chance it might be of use to someone.

Thank you for your kind words. I don't expect the approval process will be buttery smooth for me either. Don't give up, though. It's a means to an end. Should keep me updated because I'm both hopeful and curious for you.

Wishing you all the best.