Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to site and just had surgery yesterday

My first consult is scheduled tomorrow, Monday, Oct. 15th. I'm extremely excited. It is great to read what you all have to say. Does anyone know what the doctor does the first visit besides weighing in?

My biggest recommendation is to go watch the emmi video on the LapBand.com website. Sign up for a journey membership there (it is free) and it will help you out tremendously. There are many great stories and tons of wonderful information (read the pdf file on there that is the main pamphlet that the doctors give you.)

There is a ton of information on that website.

The dr. wants to know your weight loss history and your past successes/failures with weight loss. He / She will also get a general family history and health history on you as well. They will also ask you if you have any questions for them... BE SURE TO ASK AWAY!!! Take a list of questions with you so you don't forget any of them.

The main point of the first visit is to establish a relationship and provide information about yourself to the surgeon so they know what they are getting into as well as what you are getting into.

Hope that helps and Good Luck!!

Amy

Hi all you guys!

Welcome to LBT. Banding will change your life. Those of you who are not yet banded, you will find lots of answers here. For the newly banded, there is plenty of advice and support here too.

My first consult is scheduled tomorrow, Monday, Oct. 15th. I'm extremely excited. It is great to read what you all have to say. Does anyone know what the doctor does the first visit besides weighing in?

how long does it take to get a consult? I am going to the information session on October 22nd....

sharon:)

My biggest recommendation is to go watch the emmi video on the LapBand.com website. Sign up for a journey membership there (it is free) and it will help you out tremendously. There are many great stories and tons of wonderful information (read the pdf file on there that is the main pamphlet that the doctors give you.)

There is a ton of information on that website.

The dr. wants to know your weight loss history and your past successes/failures with weight loss. He / She will also get a general family history and health history on you as well. They will also ask you if you have any questions for them... BE SURE TO ASK AWAY!!! Take a list of questions with you so you don't forget any of them.

The main point of the first visit is to establish a relationship and provide information about yourself to the surgeon so they know what they are getting into as well as what you are getting into.

Hope that helps and Good Luck!!

Amy

and after that do they thend schedule the surgery?

sharon

Tomorrow's my first doctor visit. I've already been to the hour informational seminar the surgeon scheduled. The doctor told us it will take appx. 3 months before we have the lapband procedure. We have to attend doctor's visits, nutritionist app'ts, spychologists app't and a few tests among them is the sleep Apnea test. The doctors I'm going to do all their own pre and post-operative care. I was already given a "BioEnteriecs" LAP-BAND System PATIENT INFORMATION PROFILE that I filled out, it's about 10 pages, and really everything about me.

I will post tomorrow after my first doctor's meeting to share the information for the ones that haven't yet done the initial meeting or are thinking about going thru with it. I have studied and studied all the materials, including the actual www.LAPBAND.com site. Anyone thinking about it should definately print out the entire site, I did, and I'm really glad I did. This way you can take it with you anywhere when you have time and study it.

The doctor told us it will take appx. 3 months before we have the lapband procedure. We have to attend doctor's visits, nutritionist app'ts, psychologists app't and a few tests among them is the sleep Apnea test.

I have studied and studied all the materials, including the actual www.LAPBAND.com site. Anyone thinking about it should definitely print out the entire site, I did, and I'm really glad I did. This way you can take it with you anywhere when you have time and study it.

The lapband site is great - tons of great info!

My process started on Sept. 9th of this year and resulted with surgery on October 12th... Why did mine go so fast? Because I had months of documented medical supervision on a weight loss plan, had already called my insurance company to see what the requirements were, scheduled the nutritional consult within 2 days of first visit and scheduled psych eval within same two days. I really really pushed for mine to go through extremely fast. And it worked. I knew what weekend I would have a 4 day weekend from school and jumped on it so I could have that as my recovery weekend before going back to teaching...

And I had the greatest surgeon and team to help me work through getting it pushed through as fast as possible.... that is why mine went so fast - but my sister is going through the two more months of medically supervised assisted weight loss right now b4 her insurance will even consider her. SO each person/doc/insurance is different.

My thing is to be VERY PROACTIVE and stay on top of requirements and try to get everything crammed in asap and that moves the schedule up some.

Definitely keep us posted as to your 1st visit... :eek: Good Luck!

Amy

and after that do they thend schedule the surgery?

sharon

Depends on your history and payment and surgeon schedule... could be in as few as 2 weeks from receipt of all items required to 45 days from receipt or even longer. Ask your surgeon's staff the normal timeline.

Amy

I was also banded on 10/12! So far, feeling about the same as you ..the incisions don't really bother me, but the gas was murder over the weekend. It has eased a bit and I feel much better.

I will be on clears for 2 weeks and then full liquids for 4 weeks. It seems like a really really long time ..but I have come this far ..i can do it!

-Libby :peace:

I was also banded on 10/12! So far, feeling about the same as you ..the incisions don't really bother me, but the gas was murder over the weekend. It has eased a bit and I feel much better.

I will be on clears for 2 weeks and then full liquids for 4 weeks. It seems like a really really long time ..but I have come this far ..i can do it!

-Libby :peace:

Mine is very similar (post op diet) Clear Liquids for the first week, then creamy clears for second week. Then more liquids for next 2 weeks... then baby food for 2 weeks and then solids chewed a lot.

the gas is the worst! But today my camera incision is bothering me pretty bad. I assume it is the camera because it is the most bruised so it had to be moved the most - I think.

Yeah, we will definitely be able to get through this... :faint:one way shape form or another... LOL :)

:)

Amy

Amy, You have a lot to be proud of!!!! That's what I call a real go-getter!!! I had my first visit today and it went great. I'm also going to "push" for all my appointments like you are. Already I have the Nutritionist next Monday the 22nd, I've already put the call in for the Psychologist and will call again tomorrow and am waiting for the sleep apnea test, they're supposed to call me. I have to find out how soon I have to have all the tests (blood), my doctor's office told me I was supposed to have it no more than a month from my surgery app't, which I don't have right now. I can't wait. I'm like you, the sooner the better. The surgeon expects me to have it the beginning of January. I'm going to do everything in my power to get it maybe before Xmas? I don't know if it's doable. It would be strange doing the liquids around the holidays but I don't care.

I wanted to ask you. How did you find doing the liquids 10 days before the surgery? that's if you were asked to do it. that's what I have to do. Is it hard? I've never done it. I'm sure it'll make me feel better though. I'm eating so much right now, it's pathetic.

I was thinking about starting the liquid diet next week, now that I don't have to worry about getting the procedure, the doctor said I will have it, I was the right candidate for it. Ya, I'm fat, how wonderful!!! hehe.

Thank you for your input. That was nice.

Stevie

I think that's great! I'm going to myself "push" for all the app'ts so mine will come faster too. Today was my first "real" doctor visit and I signed papers, yeah! He said I was a good candidate for it and he's got me on my way for the surgery! Yeah! I'm fat! But not for long. I can't wait to feel good again. I already have my nutrionist app't next monday the 22nd and I plan on getting everything else schedule soon. The dr thinks I'll have it beg. of Jan 08. I hope sooner if I can work it out. I'm ready!

I need to ask, is it hard to do all Clear Liquids? I have to do this at least 10 days prior to the operation. I've never done it before but I think it will make me feel better, physically and mentally. I need to stop the need to overeat like I do now. Thanks for all your info.

Stevie

I'm a 53 yr old female, married with a husband who's supportive and I weigh 246! Need to lose 115 lbs. I live in Massachusetts.

Amy, You have a lot to be proud of!!!! That's what I call a real go-getter!!! I had my first visit today and it went great. I'm also going to "push" for all my appointments like you are.

Definitely push for it... the faster you can get those done, the faster the approval. Good thing though - you don't have to see a psychologist per se, just a registered therapist LMFC or something like that will work too... so that might help expedite it as well.

The liquid diet preop - didn't have to do that, just had to do sugar busters which was hard enough. If it wasn't for having the band right now, I would have eaten pizza last night, fried chicken today, baked chicken two days ago, etc. etc. I am struggling with the hard reality that I am an addict who is trying to come clean. Bad part is is that food is my drug. So if it wasn't for fear of :) then I would be eating my same ole' way. So I imagine that the liquid diet preop would have been super hard for me. Thank God I didn't have to do that!!!!

But if you are strong willed enough and want something bad enough - I suppose nothing is or could stop you! I know that is how I am and it sounds like you are the same!!! :Banane20:

Keep me posted as to your progress... I am very interested in keeping up with it!!! :)

Amy