Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Premier - On the worst of Proteins, list? O.o

Hold up wait a minute, let me put a "WHAT!!? O.o" in it! Have you seen this?

This was on the worst of Proteins, list.

PREMIER
Protein

Protein shakes

Per 11 fl oz bottle, vanilla: 160 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 270 mg sodium, 4 g carbs (1 g Fiber, 1 g sugar), 30 g protein

Commonly used in over-processed breads, DATEM (DiAcetylTartaric acid Esters of Monoglycerides) is used as a shelf-stabilizing emulsifier in both dough and Protein Shake applications, as Protein Powder is notoriously difficult to mix with Water. Unfortunately, this additive is often made from artery-clogging partially hydrogenated oils, which the FDA will ban from food products starting in June 2018. Premier Proteinresponded to us and said their DATEM is only made from fully-hydrogenated oil—but why use it in the first place, when so many others don't?

Sonofabiscuiteater. So torked. So sad. I may have to wear an armband, cuz now I'm in mourning. Of course, the take away...is there ARE no quick and easy fixes in life. Evs. They ALWAYS come at a price. Didn't I learn anything from Once Upon A Time? Magic, ALWAYS comes with a price! :angry:

I used to follow that show and like LOST, I lost the interest :( There were several good drinks on the list, I think I'll research those before adding them to my "what's new" list.

DATEM is generally recognized as safe by the FDA. It is used to make the shake more 'smooth'. Those who do not use DATEM probably use Soy (or Sunflower) Lecithin.

If they already made the changes, I'm not sure, but they will have until 2018 to do it.

https://www.cov.com/~/media/files/corporate/publications/2015/06/fda_issues_final_determination_withdrawing_the_gras_status_of_phos.pdf

DATEM can be made using esters of other OILS... and not necessarily PHOs

Here you go...I don't want to eat an inter-esterified fatty acid (it's like the next generation of trans fats that food manufacturers are using to skirt the ban on trans fats and to be able to list food as trans fat free). Dr. Mary Enig, one of the most renown researchers on fat metabolism and author of Know Your Fats stated that she predicted inter-esterified (or super esterified) fatty acids would be even worse than trans fats for a leading contributor of heart disease.

Edited by FluffyChix

5 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Here you go...I don't want to eat an inter-esterified fatty acid (it's like the next generation of trans fats that food manufacturers are using to skirt the ban on trans fats and to be able to list food as trans fat free). Dr. Mary Enig, one of the most renown researchers on fat metabolism and author of Know Your Fats stated that she predicted inter-esterified (or super esterified) fatty acids would be even worse than trans fats for a leading contributor of heart disease.

PHOs are Transfats though.
Anyway, Premier Protein has "high oleic sunflower oil". High oleic oils are unsaturated. The drawback is that they have poor shelf life. How do you kill 2 birds with one (and a half) stone? You use the sunflower type (that is more stable), then you add an emulsifier that boosts shelf stability, ergo DATEM.

Exactly, hence the magic. There is no magic without a price. Right? :(

Is this just the vanilla? I never liked that flavor, less so since surgery. I imagine I wouldn't be nearly that lucky. Darn.

52 minutes ago, gwbicster said:

Is this just the vanilla? I never liked that flavor, less so since surgery. I imagine I wouldn't be nearly that lucky. Darn.

i was wondering the same thing about the other flavors as well. It is either Premier or Atkins for me I don't like the other ready mades and hate to make shakes.

7 hours ago, ShadowDancer said:

Awe I really like those shakes, especially the chocolate one.

IKR???!!! What a sonofabi*ch! :angry: I'm all kinds of sad this morning over this!

17 hours ago, ssflbelle said:

i was wondering the same thing about the other flavors as well. It is either Premier or Atkins for me I don't like the other ready mades and hate to make shakes.

Sadly, it seems to be in all of their flavors. :(

18 hours ago, gwbicster said:

In all of their flavors :(