Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty

12 hours post ESG!! Tough day and hoping tomorrow is much better. But it's done, which is awesome.

I had the procedure on the 15/08/17.

The bad news

They said there would be some mild nausea and it would settle about 8 hours after the surgery. Well it didn't. It lasted 10 days. I lived on the vomit wafers. The pain from the gas also killed for 2 weeks Constipation is also difficult I'm used to being daily now it's at worst weekly at best every few days

Good news is ;

no pre op diet , BMI started at 33 I'm 167cm / 5ft 6. I started at 93.7kg. In first 2 weeks lost 7kg. Been at a stall for the last 2 weeks. With a fluctuating gain of around 500g up and down. Restriction is real. I've just moved onto soft foods so feeling a bit better.

Exercise (weights) restriction until end of week 6. So 2 more weeks to go.

Struggling to drink my 1.5-2l a day. Can't do Protein Shakes of any type. Trying to reach 50-70g of Protein per day. Some days is a struggle.

My diet looked like this.

No pre opt.

Day 1-14 fluids only that can pass through a thin straw.

Day 15-28 purée fluids that can pass through a thick straw.

Day 29 -42 soft foods / mash.

Day 43-56 start moving to a normal diet.

Just now I'm day 29 and my diet looks like this.

Breakfast - 1 egg scrambled,

morning tea - cheese stick.

lunch slow cooked roast pork 100g and tablespoon apple sauce,

afternoon tea yopro yogurt,

dinner fish, with garlic butter.

Dessert custard or chocolate milk or a banana paddlepop(125ml)

around 60g protein and about 800-900 cal

im trying to walk about 30 min at least 3 times a week will be hoping it to more when I can eat real food I find right now I fatigue very quickly and am still recovering from spinal fusion 10 weeks ago

favorite thing in liquid stage - cauliflower Soup

favorite thing in purée stage - mince blended, guacamole and cheese was nachos without the chips

good luck everyone

I had the procedure on the 15/08/17.
The bad news
They said there would be some mild nausea and it would settle about 8 hours after the surgery. Well it didn't. It lasted 10 days. I lived on the vomit wafers. The pain from the gas also killed for 2 weeks Constipation is also difficult I'm used to being daily now it's at worst weekly at best every few days
Good news is ;
no pre op diet , BMI started at 33 I'm 167cm / 5ft 6. I started at 93.7kg. In first 2 weeks lost 7kg. Been at a stall for the last 2 weeks. With a fluctuating gain of around 500g up and down. Restriction is real. I've just moved onto soft foods so feeling a bit better.
Exercise (weights) restriction until end of week 6. So 2 more weeks to go.
Struggling to drink my 1.5-2l a day. Can't do Protein Shakes of any type. Trying to reach 50-70g of Protein per day. Some days is a struggle.
My diet looked like this.
No pre opt.
Day 1-14 fluids only that can pass through a thin straw.
Day 15-28 purée fluids that can pass through a thick straw.
Day 29 -42 soft foods / mash.
Day 43-56 start moving to a normal diet.
Just now I'm day 29 and my diet looks like this.
Breakfast - 1 egg scrambled,
morning tea - cheese stick.
lunch slow cooked roast pork 100g and tablespoon apple sauce,
afternoon tea yopro yogurt,
dinner fish, with garlic butter.
Dessert custard or chocolate milk or a banana paddlepop(125ml)
around 60g protein and about 800-900 cal
im trying to walk about 30 min at least 3 times a week will be hoping it to more when I can eat real food I find right now I fatigue very quickly and am still recovering from spinal fusion 10 weeks ago
favorite thing in liquid stage - cauliflower Soup
favorite thing in purée stage - mince blended, guacamole and cheese was nachos without the chips
good luck everyone

Thanks for the update. It's certainly a rough road at first. I start clear fluids tomorrow and an starving hungry tonight. Does the hunger sensation subside? I am a month still from moving to puréed diet which seems like forever!

Hi Melesg

to be truthful I have days where the hunger is huge and others when I forget to eat. Hormones play a big role in what's going on. As I found out 2 weeks ago.

Hope that helps

12 hours post ESG!! Tough day and hoping tomorrow is much better. But it's done, which is awesome.

How are you today Melesg? 14 days until my procedure [emoji30][emoji15][emoji4]

How are you today Melesg? 14 days until my procedure [emoji30][emoji15][emoji4]

Much better thanks Belle. My dr has an Iv clinic where you can go in each day and get what ever Iv fluids and meds you need and it's made a big difference. Saw the dr who is happy so I'm officially off and running. One more day of clear fluids then onto full fluids. The nausea is gone, just some cramps and feeling of indigestion at times. I now have to weigh in everyday (and the wt is sent electronically to the clinic to review constantly) from this point on. I'm told that my stomach for now can take a cup of thin fluids, or 1/2 cup thick fluids and then 1/3 cup solid food initially. Good luck for your procedure date. I would definitely recommend having 3 days after the procedure to really take it easy. If you can get help with the kids during this time, then it will help your recovery. Apparently 2-3 days is typical before you feel well again. Symptoms are really not pleasant at first but settle pretty quickly. Definitely ask for ALL the antinausea drugs - and know that you will be back to yourself in no time. Your going to do great - I'm really excited for you xo

Why is IV treatment needed? Does the restricted diet result in dehydration? Also, I read somewhere that the majority of the weight comes off in the first 3-6 months. Is this true? What have your doctor's told you to expect?

Another question: are green juices and smoothies allowed after the procedure?

My doctor has you nil orally for the first two days to reduce pain and nausea and let the sutures heal. So it would be impossible not to get dehydrated without the fluids, other drs may do it differently. First six months is when most of the wt should move however I'm told you lose for about 18 months. If a smoothie can fit through a strainer then it's ok.

Thank you so much for the update! Wow an IV Clinic sounds like a godsend- I'm sure I won't have that option - surgeon is 6 hours away. I know so many medical professionals- I'm just going to have to really be incredibly diligent about Water intake. How much have you lost so far and are you feeling any fatigue? Thanks for advise of 2-3 days support - doing procedure on Thursday have to be back at it by Monday. Fingers crossed it's enough time.

Thank you so much for the update! Wow an IV Clinic sounds like a godsend- I'm sure I won't have that option - surgeon is 6 hours away. I know so many medical professionals- I'm just going to have to really be incredibly diligent about Water intake. How much have you lost so far and are you feeling any fatigue? Thanks for advise of 2-3 days support - doing procedure on Thursday have to be back at it by Monday. Fingers crossed it's enough time.

I needed to travel to another state to have the procedure but can honestly say by day 4 I was feeling heaps better and by day 5 back to normal and needing no meds. I lost 4.3 kg in a week so 7.1 kg down in 3 weeks. It's taken me 8 days for the fatigue to have subsided completely but it wasn't terrible. I honestly feel normal now - just hungry normal lol. I felt pretty down as eating has always been so enjoyable and to not be eating for a month sounds like torture. But my mindset today is heaps better and I am really not hungry and happy to start exercising. Just make the most of those 4 days to take all the meds you need and rest up, how old are your little ones? I think if you can plan to ease the load as much as possible in the first week then you will be completely back by week 2. Good luck, I can't wait to hear how you go.