Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty

Also- the cost of my procedure also includes visits with a nutritionist and therapist. I did the initial intake visits which were just about getting to know the people, and won't see them until my follow up in a couple weeks. Afterwards its up to me to see whichever I benefit from the most. Everyone has been very helpful, but tbh I'm not into the cheerleader aspect of it (just a personal preference).

Edited by SydSyd

@SydSyd I hope you are feeling better soon. Recovery sounds a little rough. What anti nausea and pain meds have you had?

Aprepitant for the first day, ondansetron for the rest. The ondansetron helps initially, but wears off quickly.

On 8/25/2017 at 11:46 PM, Belle3endosleeve said:

@melesg. Ahhh I just got so excited reading this...it's all so intense but is going to be THE turning point in our lives...where we got healthy for our kids, ours selves and our husbands!!! I have no pre-procedure diet but post is intense: day 1 nothing, day 2 clear liquid only, day 3-30 puréed liquid diet only. So I'm thinking Soups, Protein Shakes etc. I'm somewhat lactose intolerant so God help me ...as so many liquids have dairy. WeGOT this girl! So exciting...I weigh 192 & am 5'6. How about you?

Are you doing the endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty? I am just reading how different the pre and post op instructions are from Australia? I am thinking about the surgery but not planning on telling anyone. I am just not sure I can get through 30 days of a liquid diet without anyone knowing. Please keep us posted!

SydSyd..... I really hope you get feeling better. I can sense the depression in your post and that's concerning for me too. I go through bouts of ups and downs and I'm trying to stay positive about all of this and am feeling very excited, but it's definitely something that I need to prepare for. I really hope that your insurance will cover it for you. Often you can add the additional diagnoses, if you have them, of any diseases or family history codes to help get things covered. I'm sure your doctors office knows that though.

Please keep in touch and I hope you get to feeling better soon!

Kiki
Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty
Procedure day: 9/8/17

Yeah, honestly I knew I'd feel a little down, it I was not expecting just how much.

We were never ones to go out all the time, or have elaborate dinner parties, or go crazy at social functions with food or anything- but suddenly not having food be part of your life at all, is a hard transition. No cooking on your own, or with your significant other, no trips to the grocery store and saying "this looks good" (healthy or otherwise), no sitting at the table for meals together (how long can you make 2 table spoons last...).... i didn't think it'd be that hard to just eat cottage cheese, yogurt and smoothies all the time lol ( just very very small amounts of those things)...kind of thinking "it's not forever" doesn't really seem to help....I'm thinking that as I transition to different foods and get more used to a schedule things should improve. When I feel a little stronger I can get out and do more stuff too, hopefully start being more active.

Yeah, honestly I knew I'd feel a little down, it I was not expecting just how much.
We were never ones to go out all the time, or have elaborate dinner parties, or go crazy at social functions with food or anything- but suddenly not having food be part of your life at all, is a hard transition. No cooking on your own, or with your significant other, no trips to the grocery store and saying "this looks good" (healthy or otherwise), no sitting at the table for meals together (how long can you make 2 table spoons last...).... i didn't think it'd be that hard to just eat cottage cheese, yogurt and smoothies all the time lol ( just very very small amounts of those things)...kind of thinking "it's not forever" doesn't really seem to help....I'm thinking that as I transition to different foods and get more used to a schedule things should improve. When I feel a little stronger I can get out and do more stuff too, hopefully start being more active.

@sydsyd. I really do appreciate your honesty and sharing the truth about where you are in this process. I'm sure we will all cross these days too -but hopefully once you're stronger and when you begin to see results,that'll jazz you up and add energy to this amazing choice you've made, putting your health in the forefront!!!

Sydsyd We are all behind you. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are going. Really hoping you turn the corner soon and are feeling much, much better x

Well, I'm kind of disappointed, but I guess everything happens for a reason. My doctors office called and moved my procedure date from 9/8 to 9/25. I was getting so excited for next Friday and now have to wait a few more weeks [emoji849][emoji1361]. Oh well, I guess I have a few more weeks to prepare. It just sucks because I'm having my food funeral and probably packed on 5 lbs this week from eating everything that I need to say goodbye to!

Kiki

9 hours ago, KikiSue🙋🏼 said:

Well, I'm kind of disappointed, but I guess everything happens for a reason. My doctors office called and moved my procedure date from 9/8 to 9/25. I was getting so excited for next Friday and now have to wait a few more weeks . Oh well, I guess I have a few more weeks to prepare. It just sucks because I'm having my food funeral and probably packed on 5 lbs this week from eating everything that I need to say goodbye to!

Kiki

I am sorry to read this! I am sure the mental preparation was in full gear. That is frustrating! Are you having it at Hopkins? Did they why? Hang in there! I know it must be frustrating!

" userid="321485"]Well, I'm kind of disappointed, but I guess everything happens for a reason. My doctors office called and moved my procedure date from 9/8 to 9/25. I was getting so excited for next Friday and now have to wait a few more weeks [emoji849][emoji1361]. Oh well, I guess I have a few more weeks to prepare. It just sucks because I'm having my food funeral and probably packed on 5 lbs this week from eating everything that I need to say goodbye to!

Kiki

Enjoy that food funeral Kiki! I'm day six of my pre op diet and finding it tough going today. It must be really disappointing to be delayed, I hope it is smooth sailing from here. Mel.

So, that first week was rough, but I *am* feeling much better...

fyi, even though I'm it's only been 2 weeks, I've already been able to move onto a "soft/full" diet (mostly) with no issues - I've eaten small amounts of meats (fish, pork, chicken) as long as it was small and could chew it well. The only thing I haven't attempted is too much is bread, and raw veggie.

I havent been keeping a log of what I eat - after the first time I had a few bites of food not included on the liquid diet schedule they had laid out, I just about had a breakdown obsessing about how "bad" I was being...this is completely new to me, I never obsessed about food being bad vs good, and this new anxiety caused me to go into a full on shame spiral that left me crying and doubting all my life choices....it was very unpleasant....

Im trying now to just focus on getting enough fluids, and eating when I feel hungry without giving myself anxiety attacks because I ate a handful of wheat thins .

On the plus side, I have noticed I've lost some weight (I'm assuming predominantly Water weight) but I am waiting for my first doctors visit to see how much (follow up with the nutritionist and therapist is sept. 20).

Everyone is different obviously, but I would say that you may be surprised how quickly you are able to eat "normal" food again (although still just 1/2 a cup at a time). Also, still kind of difficult to drink enough to be hydrated, you have to make a real effort, and it feels uncomfortable sometimes.

Good luck later this month:)

@SydSyd So glad to hear that you are doing much better. I am 3 days out from my procedure and appreciate your honesty about the early struggles with esg. I imagine that its really difficult to eat enough Protein now? What does your restriction feel like? The good, bad food is interesting - what sort of eating guidelines were you given?

Thanks heaps and I hope your next week is even better.

Mel

" userid="321485"]Belle3endosleeve & Melesg ~
What kind of food plan will your doctors have you on? My procedure is next Friday (9/8), and I'm having it done at U of Chicago, which is about 2 hours away from my house. So I'm planning on scheduling appts with my endocrinologist & nutritionist here for follow-up.

Kiki

@kikisue how are you feeling? You've had your procedure a few days ago now, correct?
How did it go? Fill us in on all the details!! I'm 18 days from my procedure!!