Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question. Today is beginning of my 3rd week post surgury (gastric bypass) how does your body loose weight getting off liquids and start mushy food today

I did 2 weeks if liquids. Today i am so excited for food. I got to have a little yogurt with apple sauce for Breakfast. For lunch i had smashed brocoli wkth a little hummis. And in between i get Protein Shakes how does your body loose weight when i was on liquids i was loosing a pound a day now eating more wont it stop its progress?

It all comes down to calories in/calories out. Your stomach is too small to take in an adequate amount of calories to sustain your daily activity. Your body will burn the stored fat to cover the calorie deficit. You have to choose good food to put into your body, and the weight will continue to drop.

Are you tracking?

Im just following the doctors scheadule of food and liquids first 2 weeks was 4oz of liquids each hour. Today i began eating i had yogurt with applesauce was not even a 1/2 cup. lunch was 1/4 cup hummis with 1/8 of brocoli and in between 16oz of Protein Shake and Water. dinner is babyfood with smashed coliflower. I just dont understand how my body was used to the liquids and now putting more in my tummy wont i gain weight???

The three most important elements after RNY gastric bypass surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

Weight loss is achieved after surgery through meal volume control. You begin at 2 ounces (1/4 cup) per meal and gradually over the next year and a half increase the volume to 1 cup per meal. With this minuscule amount of food, it is next to impossible to meet your protein daily requirements by food alone, so therefore you need to rely on supplements such as Protein Shakes.

Im just following the doctors scheadule of food and liquids first 2 weeks was 4oz of liquids each hour. Today i began eating i had yogurt with applesauce was not even a 1/2 cup. lunch was 1/4 cup hummis with 1/8 of brocoli and in between 16oz of Protein Shake and Water. dinner is babyfood with smashed coliflower. I just dont understand how my body was used to the liquids and now putting more in my tummy wont i gain weight???

I was worried about that too but you won't gain anything. I'm 19 days post op and I'm down 23 pounds. I don't eat more than 1/4 cup at a time. My main focus is drinking enough fluids!

The way I'm thinking about it is this: the goal my first 3 months is to heal the surgery site. Just because I can't see it doesn't mean it's ok! So any food or drink is my medicine during that time (along with all the other stuff prescribed.) Losing weight is a bonus, but I want to focus on the part about healing. In the long run, gotta learn how to eat again...

I agree, I'm only 10 days post op, and my main focus is following Dr.'s orders to the letter! I want to heal good inside, as I read about the potential complications if things are progressed too quickly. I'm taking short walks outside, progressed to around the block (slowly) once or twice daily. That really helps too!

It's weird how the body works, but just so you know you will come to a stall while eating right, I came upon many during my journey and I'm 9 months out. In the beginning there were many and I just felt I was doing something wrong, I would switch up my exercise, adding more water, less yogurt & more Protein etc... times when I thought I wouldn't loose any weight I'd step on the scale and would have lost 5lbs. You will loose, you will even gain, and you will stall. Just stay encouraged everyone's body is different and will have different experiences. Good Luck in your new journey!

Hello, I'm genia22. I had a gastric bypass surgery on Monday September 11th. I expected some pain but this is extremely painful. I'm having post op day #13. I'm suffering to the point of tears. I don't have help from my daughter and 3 grand daughters. So I'm alone struggling with this. I have end stage kidney disease so I can't take narcotic pain medicine. I'm only allowed children's Tylenol which doesn't help. I'm on full liquids and so far the scale does not show any weight loss but I'm wearing tights that I couldn't wear pre-op. So I guess I'm losing and the scale just hasn't caught up. My pain is hot and Sharp stabbing in my right side. It's as if there is a knife in my side. On Tuesday I start pourable Proteins. I'm looking forward to that.
Has anyone else suffered with excruciating pain? I was crying when the visiting nurse came. I had run out of the Tylenol so she called the pharmacy who delivered some within 2 hours. I'm taking up too much space and for that I apologize.

Sent from my SM-J700T using BariatricPal mobile app

Hello, I'm genia22. I had a gastric bypass surgery on Monday September 11th. I expected some pain but this is extremely painful. I'm having post op day #13. I'm suffering to the point of tears. I don't have help from my daughter and 3 grand daughters. So I'm alone struggling with this. I have end stage kidney disease so I can't take narcotic pain medicine. I'm only allowed children's Tylenol which doesn't help. I'm on full liquids and so far the scale does not show any weight loss but I'm wearing tights that I couldn't wear pre-op. So I guess I'm losing and the scale just hasn't caught up. My pain is hot and Sharp stabbing in my right side. It's as if there is a knife in my side. On Tuesday I start pourable Proteins. I'm looking forward to that.
Has anyone else suffered with excruciating pain? I was crying when the visiting nurse came. I had run out of the Tylenol so she called the pharmacy who delivered some within 2 hours. I'm taking up too much space and for that I apologize.

Sent from my SM-J700T using BariatricPal mobile app

Im day 8 and the pain is horrible i got wheeled in to my follow today and the pain is so hurtful im using a bed pan everyone else i know around me says it will go away but its very tuff