Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinning hair?

Hey, ladies! I had a gastric bypass on July 28th, haven't even been cleared for soft foods yet, but ... thinking ahead. Did anybody experience loss of hair? Is this something a cute, short cut would take care of or should I start looking into a hair piece or even a wig? I've heard this typically doesn't happen until a few months out, and doesn't happen to everyone, but ... my hair is on the thin/fine side to begin with, so the thought of losing more is causing me some distress. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Mine began at 3 months out and it was falling out alarmingly fast. I have naturally thick hair, so it was only something I noticed, no one else seemed to bat an eye at it. Regardless, I immediately started taking 10,000 mcg of Biotin everyday and I continue to do so. I'm just over 9 months out now and I'm starting to get some major regrowth.

Good Luck!

Edited by MowryRocks

Your gettin it back now, that's good... I had really think hair, I think I lost 1/2 of it. I'm pretty stressed about it to be honest. I'm only 4 months post-op. It's noticeably getting thin , my husband made a comment (not knowing it was a side affect) I was embarrassed and never mentioned it, hoping he wouldn't notice. My part is so obvious, I used to have a pony tail like a horses tail. Everyone commented on my thick hair. So disappointing , I'm just looking forward to my 8/9months post op when it should start coming back. I'm so scared if I have to keep loosing it for another few months I'll be bald, and I'm not exaggerating ...it's loads of hair everyday falling out when I brush it, clogging the vacuum. Etc.

This was one thing that scared the crap out of me, losing my hair. I started taking Biotin well before the surgery and have been loyal to it, since. I have natural and very thick hair, if I lost any, I have no idea. It seems to be a lot thicker and is growing. I just read a study where Biotin at 10,000 is harmful to the health, so I now alternate from 5,000 and 10,000.

Your gettin it back now, that's good... I had really think hair, I think I lost 1/2 of it. I'm pretty stressed about it to be honest. I'm only 4 months post-op. It's noticeably getting thin , my husband made a comment (not knowing it was a side affect) I was embarrassed and never mentioned it, hoping he wouldn't notice. My part is so obvious, I used to have a pony tail like a horses tail. Everyone commented on my thick hair. So disappointing , I'm just looking forward to my 8/9months post op when it should start coming back. I'm so scared if I have to keep loosing it for another few months I'll be bald, and I'm not exaggerating ...it's loads of hair everyday falling out when I brush it, clogging the vacuum. Etc.

Same here... hair everywhere. My long beautiful thick hair is now very very thin.. I use hair powder in my scalp it’s gotten so bad.. still lucky it appears I have more hair than I do... but it’s gross and very depressing. I do take extra B complex approved from my doctor and it helps nothing.... I’m only 4 months post op. Hoping it grows back sooner than later!

I read that 3-6 months post surgery is usually the period for Hair loss. After that it starts growing back again as your body recovers a bit from the initial rapid weight loss. I'll be taking my Multivitamins and possibly a Biotin supplement, however I already have very fine hair and not much of it, so it will be pretty bad if I get any amount of hair loss. For my it probably won't bother me too much though, as I'll be too busy enjoying my lighter body and additional energy.

I have to say the Hair loss has been harder to deal with than I thought it would be. :(

I have always had fine hair but a ton of it so everyone always thought I had thicker hair than it was and would always get compliments on it. No matter how heavy I was, I always felt comfortable with my face and hair.

I've had a few setbacks because I broke my foot so that has affected my exercise/weight loss when I had been doing so well, had the flu and a few other things...but this hair loss is the the most challenging one for me and is being harder to stay positive about. I get out of the shower and there are usually tears -- I am also in menopause (turned 50 this year) so that doesn't help matters...

I have ordered rosemary oil to put in my Shampoo that is coming in today. I have been taking Biotin, extra B Vitamins and Iron and also using Nioxin 4 shampoo and conditioner but from what I've read, these help only minimally...my surgeon says it should come back especially since my mom's hair (in her 70s) is not thin....

I may need to consider a wig at this point. ugh.

Would love to hear from those that had bad hair loss, what was the time period it came out and when did the falling out stop? and when did they see the regrowth?

I've heard the falling out is maxed at 3-4 but I started at 2 and into my 4th month and is not slowing down...and I don't think I'd make it to 6 with any hair. :( I know this sound really vain...and there are much bigger issues in the world but this is a challenge for me...and is depressing me and I'm normally a very positive, happy person...

Edited by Jeannie49

On 1/20/2018 at 2:44 AM, SGirl35 said:

Same here... hair everywhere. My long beautiful thick hair is now very very thin.. I use hair powder in my scalp it’s gotten so bad.. still lucky it appears I have more hair than I do... but it’s gross and very depressing. I do take extra B complex approved from my doctor and it helps nothing.... I’m only 4 months post op. Hoping it grows back sooner than later!

sorry you are suffering too! has it ended? what powder do you use? I use colorwow a bit where I have a little gray but are you referring to one that makes it look like there is hair there? :)

Zinc is also good for Hair loss.

26 minutes ago, Jeannie49 said:

sorry you are suffering too! has it ended? what powder do you use? I use colorwow a bit where I have a little gray but are you referring to one that makes it look like there is hair there? :)

@SGirl35 I am also curious about this powder. Please share?

27 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:

@SGirl35 I am also curious about this powder. Please share?

I just looked up this product...seems like it looks odd in the part area but if i apply it in other areas or move the part, maybe this would work...they also sell it on Amazon..maybe I will try it...

https://www.toppik.com/shop/hair-fiber?utm_source=google_shopping&197=13&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_ODWBRCTARIsAE2_EvWdWPPYOuYJ5OrddFQUvZn2kxvlqjvt14O5Nhm-uBMvfCRc8lXWPYIaAtk-EALw_wcB#overview

4 minutes ago, Jeannie49 said:

I just looked up this product...seems like it looks odd in the part area but if i apply it in other areas or move the part, maybe this would work...they also sell it on Amazon..maybe I will try it...

https://www.toppik.com/shop/hair-fiber?utm_source=google_shopping&197=13&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_ODWBRCTARIsAE2_EvWdWPPYOuYJ5OrddFQUvZn2kxvlqjvt14O5Nhm-uBMvfCRc8lXWPYIaAtk-EALw_wcB#overview

I've seen this on an infomercial recently. Let me know if you do try it. I'd be mortified if it came off and landed on your shirt like dandruff.

On 4/19/2018 at 3:44 PM, AshAsh1 said:

I've seen this on an infomercial recently. Let me know if you do try it. I'd be mortified if it came off and landed on your shirt like dandruff.

that's a good point actually...and I think may have happened with the Joe Gorga incident on the Real Housewives of NJ for anyone who watches ...

// don't judge lol!

I will let you know if I wind up buying it...I did go see my hair stylist yesterday and she said there is regrowth coming in for me and my hair has always grown really fast ...I ordered some extra zinc...also, I noticed in another topic in here, someone mentioned a shampoo/conditioner with caffeine in it called Ultrax Labs. I ordered them on Amazon - not cheap - $100 or so for both and the bottles came in and were small. But in just the first washing today, I saw a difference -- cut down a little in how much came out but really in the appearance of the hair and softness unlike the Nioxin which is a little drying even though I tend to have normal to oily hair. I'm hopeful this helps a bit until it comes back a bit more...