Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

newbie-preop weight loss

Hi Everyone!! I am just starting my journey to being a normal weight person! I am scheduled to be banded 1/18/08 by Dr. Ortiz in Mexico. Because my BMI is 52.6, I need to lose 30lbs. Makes me a little nervous to know I have 3 months and 3 holidays to go thru to do it. How did everyone else do it? I really don't want to start the Protein Shakes now, but I will if necessary. Did anyone lose this amount of weight? I CAN NOT FAIL! Also I am flying in from PA and am a little worried about the plane ride home and the post lap gas pains. Really need to try to fly home 1/20. THanks for all the advice!!!

Hi jamitwins!

Congratulations on starting your journey!!

Because of my insurance I had to do a 6 month weightloss program, and I went on the Atkins diet and lost 20lbs. Have you ever tried it? You can read about it online, or get the Atkins Diet book. (I also went on Atkins a few years ago and lost 60lbs). Just an idea, if you haven't tried it.

Good luck!!!!

Forestcat

I have lost 30 pounds already on my I will be banded 11/1 and have just started Optifast. Before that, 1200 calories a day, lots of water.. then about 2 months ago, I replaced one meal a day with Protein Shake. Then about 2 weeks ago I replaced 2 meals a day with Protein Shakes. I am slowly easing myself into into it. I slowly stopped carbonated beverages. Now that I am on Optifast I feel fine, no hunger, no problems. Just ease into it, and do it slowly or else you will set yourself up for failure. It really works. It is a lifestyle change. Start changing the bad habits one by one.

hi jamitwins

dr arturo rodriguez, in monterrey, Mexico does excellent work and doesn't require pre-op diet. if you want to email him, you can reach him at md@thebariatric.com. he did surgery on me a few weeks back and a top bariatric surgeon at NYU said that rodriguez did a terrific job.

another option is the master cleanser lemonade diet, which is a great detox program and the lemon juice naturally curbs appetite. i've done this as a fast on several occasions. here's a few websites: lemonadediet.com, Lemonade Diet Recipe

the recipe, from the last website is:

For at least 10 days, drink around 10 servings/day of the following:

• 2 Tablespoons (1 Fluid ounce) fresh-squeezed lemon or lime juice NOT BOTTLED JUICE!! (approx. ½ lemon),
  • 2 Tablespoons (1 Fluid ounce) organic Grade B maple Syrup,
  • 1/10 Teaspoon or more cayenne pepper (hot red pepper), and
  • 1 Cup (8 fluid ounces) purified or spring Water, NOT fluoridated Water.< /li>

good luck,

anya

Hi, I started my pre-op diet 20 days ago and have lost 17 pounds. And believe it or not, that includes a 7-day period where I didn't lose a pound. At 900 to 1100 calories a day, that plateau about killed me. But I stuck with it. (I've already paid $10,000 out of the $20,000 this is going to cost me, so I'd darn well better give up those maple bars.) My doctor told me at the start that if I gained even one pound, she would not perform the surgery, and the minimum I had to lose was 15 pounds. If I come in at 14 pounds the day of surgery it's my understanding the surgery wouldn't go forward. I have about a month until I'm banded, so I hope to lose about 10 more pounds.

By the way, I feel extremely confident of my doctor. I'm glad she's serious about the pre-surgery weight loss. It is supposed to shrink the liver which makes the surgery much easier.

My diet is one AmazeRX Protein shake for Breakfast, one SMALL green salad w/grilled chicken for lunch and a Lean Cuisine/Weight Watcher frozen dinner for dinner. I may add a low fat string cheese or carrots with Peanut Butter for a snack. I was eating a lot of fruit during the seven days I didn't lose anything, so I cut it out.

I feel great to have lost my sugar cravings. The cravings over-all are there, but they're beatable. I submerge myself in travel and fashion magazines to keep me inspired.

Good luck, I never dreamed I could I give up maple bars and a 30-year Diet Coke habit, and I did, so I have great confidence in others on this board.

Hi Everyone!! I am just starting my journey to being a normal weight person! I am scheduled to be banded 1/18/08 by Dr. Ortiz in Mexico. Because my BMI is 52.6, I need to lose 30lbs. Makes me a little nervous to know I have 3 months and 3 holidays to go thru to do it. How did everyone else do it? I really don't want to start the Protein shakes now, but I will if necessary. Did anyone lose this amount of weight? I CAN NOT FAIL! Also I am flying in from PA and am a little worried about the plane ride home and the post lap gas pains. Really need to try to fly home 1/20. THanks for all the advice!!!

So your very new here, will so am I. No banding yet. My Hubby is trying for it first. Your doing great! :clap2:

Your an inspiration to me!

I'll be 63 December 11th. My Hubby is 65.

With Don's help I got my photo in there! I couldn't do it without him!

:) He is very patient with me most of the time. We've been married 42 years this month on the 3rd.

Nina

I'd like to see your photo.