Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ballpark co-pay amount spent on machine??

My insurance paid for me to rent the machine for 6 months and then it was considered paid off and "patient owned equipment". I was VERY lucky and have never had to make a payment on the machine or any of the supplies sent out every 3 months. Definitely call your insurance company and ask what their copayment is on home medical equipment. The machine is around $1500 if bought outright and every 3 months it's around $700. I have blue cross blue shield of IL.

I've had mine for 3 years, and had a different insurance when I got it. I had a high deductible plan ($4k for family). I had to pay for mine in full as I wasn't at my annual deductible yet ($1,200).

Because I had to pay for it, there was no 6-months rental to own. The only test for utilization was for supplies after I hit my deductible.

With my current insurance, and the same machine, all my supplies are covered at $0 deductible. The machine would have had the 6-months to own, but would have had $0 deductible.

Medical supply just called me. They are sending someone to me to show me how to work the machine, settings, etc. They are coming to my office LOLOL! I cant take off anymore right now. I am doing the 'rent to own" as well. First payment of $52 then $8 a month til its paid off. My $300 deductible has been met. How sweet was that process!

Nooo :) The CPAP machine is used to aid in a breathing disorder during sleep called Apnea.

You either have no sleep apnea, mild sleep apnea or "full blown" apnea. If you had a sleep study before the surgery, this should tell you where you fall. You only need a machine if you have mild (usually your choice) or greater apnea. It is based off of AHI socre:

The Apnea–Hypopnea Index or Apnoea–Hypopnoea Index (AHI) is an index used to indicate the severity of sleep apnea. It is represented by the number of apnea and hypopnea events per hour of sleep.

If you are diagnosed with sleep apnea, you will need to bring your machine with you to the hospital during your surgery admission. You will also need to continue to use it after the surgery until you have a sleep study indicating you have a low enough AHI score (usually <5) to no longer have a sleep apnea diagnosis.

EDIT: technically there is normal, mild, moderate, and severe:

Normal 0-5 events/hour

Mild 5-15 events/hour

Moderate 15-30 events/hour

Severe 30+ events/hour

Edited by JT2002TJ

Very helpful info. Apparently I had 40-50 episodes of stopped breathing during my sleep study, so the sleep dr suggested I go for the machine. I'm definitely taking mine on surgery day.

1 minute ago, TKnDC said:

Very helpful info. Apparently I had 40-50 episodes of stopped breathing during my sleep study, so the sleep dr suggested I go for the machine. I'm definitely taking mine on surgery day.

If your sleep study was an overnight at facility, 40-50 AHI score usually results in the testing staff stopping the study, and putting you on the machine. Happened to a few of my friends as the staff doesn't want you to die at their facility. That's a pretty high score...

I use the machine (and LOVE IT) and my AHI score was 5.9 during my take home sleep study (may be less accurate than at an overnight facility). My last 2 utilization scores have been 100% (on average 4+ hours of use nightly) and over the full 3 years of use it is 96%. Have I said I love my machine? I sleep through the night, never wake up tired, and never fall asleep watching TV.

Wow! Yes he woke me up about 230am and hooked me up to the machine/mask. After, I slept like a baby & no episodes. Its amazing. Thanks for sharing.

I know the risk of death if you don't use the CPAP, but I simply cannot, repeat cannot use it. For reasons I cannot sleep with a mask on and hope the sleeve surgery will heal my apnea.

13 hours ago, RSM said:

I know the risk of death if you don't use the CPAP, but I simply cannot, repeat cannot use it. For reasons I cannot sleep with a mask on and hope the sleeve surgery will heal my apnea.

Have you tried different style masks?

Do you have a CPAP hose holder? (This was a big help for me, as the hose was not tugging at my head, and I can turn without rolling over the hose)

3820__36967.1393360623.525.525.jpg?c=2