Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared as hell of weight loss

Hello there,

I need some support here in making the decision to move forward with this.

I am 33, so I guess this is a good time to start making a change, I'm impressed with the different age groups I see here.

My current weight is 140kg, that's 308lbs, and I am 5 ft 8 inches male

I have tried to lose weight all my life, I was an obese child all through my adulthood. The best I did was lose about 75lbs by working out and spending a ton of cash on fat burners and supplements.< /p>

My whole life and personality is about being a big guy, whether it be fat or hulky, but big and intimidating is me, while being funny and sarcastic and a Teddy Bear on the inside, a care bear.

Why do I want to lose weight? Health issues I guess? Diabetes runs in my family, but mostly I hate how I look, can't dress well, can't buy any clothes.

The only thing stopping me from making the right choice is that I don't know who I'm going to become, yes I will look better, but I won't know who I am, I've always been like this, my big body is my comfort zone that I hate.

Has anybody experienced this?

Sent from my SM-C9000 using BariatricPal mobile app

I had RNY gastric bypass because of health issues. I had diabetes and high blood pressure and several other conditions. The surgery helped resolve these issues quickly and place them in remission.

I do not believe my personality changed as a result of the surgery. I am still the same me. I did find that my stamina (ability to perform physical labor) increased dramatically. It was also nice to be able to buy clothes from department stores again. I went from a size 3X in shirts down to a size small and from a size 46 in pants down to a size 33.

Here is a picture of what happens in just 6 months after surgery.

Operation.jpg

Yes, I think those of us who have dealt with obesity for most of our lives know exactly where you are coming from.

I became obese in my late 20s, I was a little chubby in my teens, but also very athletic and played sports and when I look at pictures (while my family told me I needed to lose weight) truthfully I don't see someone who needed to loose weight (shrug). But the recurring "helpful feedback" probably didn't help because I started to identify as fat when looking back, I don't think I was (weight was on the higher end of the BMI range for normal weight range was at full height in high school and wore a size 10 or 12). But I was being related to as fat, I WAS bigger than a lot of other girls and really didn't know any better.

But throughout my 30s and 40s I steadily gained until I ballooned up to 335 lbs. Inactivity was probably the main culprit and then after that turning to food for enjoyment. I started to become more socially withdrawn and less comfortable in my body once I crossed 300 lbs. At 280, I was a confident, dating, plus size woman who could do everything I wanted to do, including kayaking, hiking, dating, etc.

The real kicker for me was at my last physical - my A1C was at 7.0 and I was prescribed metformin. While I knew intellectually that diabetes was an INEVITABLE outcome of my weight, it was a real wake up call to be prescribed metformin at 50 years old.

In addition, moving was starting to become difficult and uncomfortable. Things were starting to hurt. My Achilles on my right heel always hurt. I would get back spasms, neck issues, stiffness. I could not cross my legs when I sat down. I stopped wearing heels because I didn't feel "stable" in them. My feet would hurt after a lot of walking. Climbing stairs became difficult (and this is required if you live in NYC as I do to deal with the subway system - in many stations it's three flights up to street level).

Ultimately what tipped the scales towards surgery was my health.

But you are correct - this is not just a physical journey, this is been a mental/emotional journey has well and this part of it is JUST BEGINNING.

I am reinventing myself.

I am reinventing my life - I am becoming strong, happy and vital.

I am reclaiming my health.

For me this has taken courage, honesty and compassion. And it is just unfolding.

Best wishes to you on your journey and what is next for you.

You are who you are inside. :) You'll still have hopes, fears, dreams...but your body will get to a healthier place so that you can enjoy life in a new, healthier way. Hang in there. Maybe you'll find the emotional change to be healing. I have Diabetes...it sucks, it's expensive, and I'm doing what i can to stop it in its tracks. Take a deep breath and know that your combined experiences will only make you a stronger person. You're not going to stop laughing if you love to laugh. Find ways to embrace the change.

I had RNY gastric bypass because of health issues. I had diabetes and high blood pressure and several other conditions. The surgery helped resolve these issues quickly and place them in remission.
I do not believe my personality changed as a result of the surgery. I am still the same me. I did find that my stamina (ability to perform physical labor) increased dramatically. It was also nice to be able to buy clothes from department stores again. I went from a size 3X in shirts down to a size small and from a size 46 in pants down to a size 33.
Here is a picture of what happens in just 6 months after surgery.

Operation.thumb.jpg.8d40fbd029f73a1bf4e89a77e6412330.jpg

OMG you are an angel sir, thank you and jolly good job you did there!

Sent from my SM-C9000 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi!

I'm new to this site and I am still pre surgery. My RNY is scheduled for 9/22. I was a chubby little girl who was constantly told she was fat. As life moved through the years no matter what I tried the weight came back plus. At one point I weighed 299 and I started a plan I was very successful and lost 99 pounds. I just never could break that 100 pound mark. Now three years latter and fast approaching 59 years of age with many health issues have decided to embark on yes a life changing adventure to let out the thin person who has always been trapped inside. I think everyone has times where they become apprehensive about the decision to undertake this process. I agree with the others the core person you are doesn't change. I am talking about your morals, values, way of seeing right and wrong that person will always be there. However, your about to undertake an adventure you've never had. Your going to experience a whole new world of NSV's (non scale victories) i.e. being able to walk into any store and buy whatever you like, being able to tie your shoes without putting your leg up on the couch or bed, no seat belt extenders just to name a few. Embrace the adventure and enjoy the ride. This is how I have come to see all of what is involved.

I belong to another Gastric Bypass forum on a site called Daily Strength, if you have the time to visit that site look for a post that is titled what newbie's need to know. I really got quite a bite from that posting. It's long but so worth the read!

Good Luck on your journey!

BTW I regained 75 pounds of that 99 pounds I lost. I've been in this 3 month weight loss surgery program for 6 weeks and I have lost 12 pounds. I went from being dead set against surgery to so excited I feel like I can't weight for it to happen!

@cookienmax Thank you for the reference to Daily Strength!