Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

#2 after Loop DS

Ok, so this is a gross question but when should I expect to start having normal-ish bowel movements? I'm 6 days out now from my SIPS with Dr. Roslin and so far am only going about teaspoon (if that) of pretty soft stool once a day. It doesn't feel like enough. Is that normal?

I've been eating/drinking Atkins Protein Shakes, Bone Broth, and Vitamin Water Zero and sometimes some sugar-free Jello or popsicles. But my appetite is pretty non-existent. I'm focusing more on getting my liquids in than my Protein at this point at the advice of my PA.

It's going to take some time before things to back to normal. I'm six weeks post-op, so I'm still figuring things out too. My bowel movements are still very soft and small, nothing like before. Your output should be a little more substantial tween weeks 2-3, if I remember correctly. And since we're being open here, may I also add that the color is also not what it used to be? They're more the color of hay. I'd also like to ask someone on here if they've noticed an orange oil in their bowel movements after eating foods high in fat. It's the same color of orange in pepperoni oil (sorry to be so graphic; I'd really like to know if this is normal). I have a follow-up with my doctor next week, but I've been considering asking this question on this site too. Le'ts face it, the plumbing changes considerably with the DS.

Edited by Strivingforbetter

I haven't heard of that but then again I'm not eating a ton right now. Surprisingly my color is pretty normal (maybe because I have a longer common channel?) or because they're being tinted by the dark chocolate Protein Shakes, lol! the funny thing about having this surgery is that I suddenly have very little shame talking about body stuff - I actually find it quite fascinating!

5 hours ago, Strivingforbetter said:

It's going to take some time before things to back to normal. I'm six weeks post-op, so I'm still figuring things out too. My bowel movements are still very soft and small, nothing like before. Your output should be a little more substantial tween weeks 2-3, if I remember correctly. And since we're being open here, may I also add that the color is also not what it used to be? They're more the color of hay. I'd also like to ask someone on here if they've noticed an orange oil in their bowel movements after eating foods high in fat. It's the same color of orange in pepperoni oil (sorry to be so graphic; I'd really like to know if this is normal). I have a follow-up with my doctor next week, but I've been considering asking this question on this site too. Le'ts face it, the plumbing changes considerably with the DS.

Yes. Can be orange or yellow oil. It's rare for me now but every once in a while....

8 hours ago, ebroms17 said:

I haven't heard of that but then again I'm not eating a ton right now. Surprisingly my color is pretty normal (maybe because I have a longer common channel?) or because they're being tinted by the dark chocolate Protein Shakes, lol! the funny thing about having this surgery is that I suddenly have very little shame talking about body stuff - I actually find it quite fascinating!

I also have a longer common channel. I think the normal DS is 3 feet and mine is about twice that because I had a lower BMI to start out. Sounds like we had basically the same surgery. Hey, we have to talk about these things to know if we're normal. :)

6 hours ago, Postop said:

Yes. Can be orange or yellow oil. It's rare for me now but every once in a while....

Thank you, thank you!! What a relief! I haven't heard anyone mention this on any of the boards and the first time it happened I thought, "What the heck?!" For about 10 seconds, I thought maybe I had cancer.

12 hours ago, Strivingforbetter said:

Thank you, thank you!! What a relief! I haven't heard anyone mention this on any of the boards and the first time it happened I thought, "What the heck?!" For about 10 seconds, I thought maybe I had cancer.

No. You're OK. While I had the full DS and not the loop, I'm certainly familiar with what you described.

On 7/24/2017 at 8:00 AM, Postop said:

No. You're OK. While I had the full DS and not the loop, I'm certainly familiar with what you described.

I also had the DS. What do you mean "I had the full DS and not the loop"? What's the "loop"?

The loop DS aka Sadi or Sips is a single anastomosis procedure rather than a double anastomosis procedure which is the full DS.

Edited by Postop

Ohh, I see what you mean. Yeah, I also had the double anastomosis. Yesterday, just as I woke up, I was so nauseated. Nothing on my stomach, but for no reason I had this gushing of saliva and I thought I was going to throw up. Sure hope this queasiness quiets down.

That's known as the foamies. Often after the DS that's how you throw up. It's kind of a gush of foamy saliva. I'll still get them if I eat or drink too much together at one time.

On 7/27/2017 at 2:17 PM, Postop said:

That's known as the foamies. Often after the DS that's how you throw up. It's kind of a gush of foamy saliva. I'll still get them if I eat or drink too much together at one time.

I wonder why I got that on an empty stomach? I felt better within a few minutes and haven't had it since. Foamies are no fun. I used to get that with my Lap-Band if I ate something that got stuck. I was hoping to be done with that when it was removed.

I don't know. I don't recall having it on an empty stomach. But it's been so long I might not remember. You have a brand new infant system so it could just be part of the adjustment.

I had a revision done on November 14 from the sleeve to the loop DS. I haven’t really lost anything. How much have you lost? Starting to get concerned

On 12/11/2017 at 6:51 PM, pattivalvo said:

I had a revision done on November 14 from the sleeve to the loop DS. I haven’t really lost anything. How much have you lost? Starting to get concerned

I was revised from the Lap-Band to the traditional DS on June 9, 2017, and so far I've lost 57 pounds. As long as I keep my calories to around 1100 a day and make Protein a priority, I lose. So far, I haven't had a stall, although my weight loss has been slow at about 1.5 pounds a week. I know other DS patients have lost up to 3-4 pounds a week, but that hasn't been my story. You are only a few weeks post-op, so your body is getting used to all of the changes. Give it time. Log your food. Drink lots of Water. The malabsorption component of the DS is very powerful, so I am confident in time your losing will pick up. I log my food on My Fitness Pal and it helps me to keep my eating in check.

Edited by Strivingforbetter