Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Starting My Kaiser WLS Journey

Okay, I'm glad we're on the same page. [emoji4] From your original post you seemed to be implying RNY had lots of cons with no pros, and VSG had lots of pros with no cons. Just wanted to make sure that was clear. Good luck with your surgery and I'm very glad you are in good hands! My therapist called my hospital "the Johns Hopkins of Virginia" so I know how you feel. It feels great to have a lot of confidence in the person who's cutting me open!

Sorry, I just assumed people knew the pros, which are pretty much the same for both so I just went with the cons.

Have you had your surgery yet? Mine is a week from Monday. I don't have official word on approval but the scheduler just said they only needed 1 more year of weight, which I provided BMI was like 34 then but it was 3 years ago. My only real concern with surgery is infection as I take humira.

So I have my intro seminar scheduled for Aug 4th, and I am just wondering if anyone has insight to how long the process will take before I can get my surgery date? I have decided to do my surgery at the Fremont Kaiser Hospital if all goes well with intro seminar. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

I had my RNY done at Fremont kaiser! Dr Dutta is amazing. Super laid back and easy to talk to. The longest part of the process for me was waiting for the classes. I'd say it took about 4 months.

I was with Kaiser in San Diego however, Pacific Baratric was who do the surgeries the whole experience was great I waited 2 months after I did labs and a class was available at the facility of my choosing the class was 6 months my surgery was 2 months after my class however, you have to have lose or tried to loose 10 percent of your body weight, lab works with good results and do a fitness test was an requirement and meet with 3 Dr's which was a surgeon, Psychologists, and I can't remember the other Dr title All was requirements then after my evaluations they called with a surgery date I'm 7 days post Op and feel great I hope that was an help good luck.

On 7/21/2017 at 3:09 PM, KateBruin said:

Ya, too bad not only I have done hours and hours upon research but I got most if not all of the information from the 5th best hospital in the country.

My hospital has never had a single leak ever in its history. Ever. It's a risk, but with a good hospital, negligible.

I feel too crappy to argue with you people today. My surgery team will be stoked to know you call their top 5 in the nation information drivel. Cheers mate.

oh. you must have misunderstood...

im not saying your hospital is wrong. i'm saying YOU'RE wrong. about multiple things in that post.

for instance, you said and i quote: "Bypass is also guaranteed to cause malnutrition for life. Plus dumping syndrome so you can really never have processed sugar again."

those two assertions are categorically untrue. Many RNY patients are able to absorb enough vitamins/minerals from food that they don't need to supplement. they do recommend that all patients take a Multivitamin as a precaution, because it can't hurt you and most people would rather do that then do self-tracking with deep-panel blood tests. but you said ALL patients are GUARANTEED malnutrition. that just isn't accurate. secondly, many RNY patients can tolerate sweets and not dump. and i believe the MAJORITY of RNY patients never dump at all. yet you said 'NEVER eat sweets without dumping'. again, extremely off base with reality.

now, i don't know if you got those alternative facts from your precious "5th Best Hospital of All Time OMG", or if you misunderstood them, or if you made it up. honestly, i don't care.

what i do care about is you misleading people who come here looking for honest, unbiased information. and playing innocent when you are called out for your bizarre yet blatant pro-sleeve, anti-bypass agenda.

Edited by JohnnyCakes

oh. you must have misunderstood...
im not saying your hospital is wrong. i'm saying YOU'RE wrong. about multiple things in that post.
for instance, you said and i quote: "Bypass is also guaranteed to cause malnutrition for life. Plus dumping syndrome so you can really never have processed sugar again."
those two assertions are categorically untrue. Many RNY patients are able to absorb enough vitamins/minerals from food that they don't need to supplement. they do recommend that all patients take a multivitamin as a precaution, because it can't hurt you and most people would rather do that then do self-tracking with deep-panel blood tests. but you said ALL patients are GUARANTEED malnutrition. that just isn't accurate. secondly, many RNY patients can tolerate sweets and not dump. and i believe the MAJORITY of RNY patients never dump at all. yet you said NEVER. again, extremely off base with reality.
now, i don't know if you got those alternative facts from your precious "5th Best Hospital of All Time OMG", or if you misunderstood them, or if you made it up. honestly, i don't care.
what i do care about is you misleading people who come here looking for honest, unbiased information. and playing innocent when you are called out for your bizarre yet blatant pro-sleeve, anti-bypass agenda.

Have a Protein Shake dude. Your blood sugar is low.

2 minutes ago, KateBruin said:

Have a Protein shake dude. Your blood sugar is low.

i'll take that as your final, weak attempt to save face as you exit this conversation.

be good.

i'll take that as your final, weak attempt to save face as you exit this conversation.
be good.

No, my phone alerted me because my settings got glitchy. I'm not willing to meaningfully engage with someone who is as aggressive as you just got, right off the bat, with a total internet stranger.

7 hours ago, KateBruin said:

No, my phone alerted me because my settings got glitchy. I'm not willing to meaningfully engage with someone who is as aggressive as you just got, right off the bat, with a total internet stranger.

could you point out where i was "aggressive"?

i was merely proving you wrong. had you simply admitted you were wrong from the start, this would have been a lot easier.

I found this series the most helpful for a quick tutorial of 3 methods. the other videos pop up in the youtube side bar..watch the one on complications... it may help on decision making. BUT some people don't qualify for many possible reasons so you are not choosing unless they say you are..

FB posters in one site say they CHOOSE RNY because they love sweets and want to be sick and dumping so they can stick to the diet long term. [shudder] sounds like a harsh choice!

Most interesting above is the "hunger hormone" explained and the "location" for Ghrelin is removed with VSG but balloon or other methods like RNY leave that signaling hormone so people do get hungry.

I am just learning of the ENDO sleeve gastroplasty, it is NOT a gastrectomy, no stomach is removed.

an actual stitching machine from the inside, no surgery, but anesthesia needed.

12 hours ago, Private Citizen said:

Most interesting above is the "hunger hormone" explained and the "location" for Ghrelin is removed with VSG but balloon or other methods like RNY leave that signaling hormone so people do get hungry.

wrong.

read: http://www.medpagetoday.com/endocrinology/obesity/43097

to be accurate: the DR in the videos maybe/ was wrong THEN, in 2012, he may be saying something else today. and also one article by one source is not the end of the conversation. However I wonder if he WAS correct on the location of the ghrelin 'spot'

"....But neither of these theories fully explains improvements in beta-cell function and insulin sensitivity after bariatric surgery, Kashyap told MedPage Today."

In addition I saw a medical researcher (will find if I can to document source) indicate that the CHANGE in diabetic response is IMMEDIATE within hours of the surgery...so not days or weeks of improvement, but 'something' in the (possible shock) to the body of disconnecting the stomach severely with WLS is what makes the difference. No studies yet to confirm I have seen..this may ALSO be wrongly interpreted, but for people with severe issues with BG/insulin problems this is one solution for them.

shouting 'wrong' (like politico John McLaughlin) does not take away that real science is open to debate constantly as nothing is absolute.

with a very short time of results of bariatric there is still much to be revealed. I am more concerned (for myself) with what I see on all the issues years out, weight gain, leaking sleeves, redoing RNY somehow again, etc.

2 hours ago, Private Citizen said:

shouting 'wrong' (like politico John McLaughlin) does not take away that real science is open to debate constantly as nothing is absolute.

i absolutely agree, which is why i said the ABSOLUTE statement you made was wrong. because it was.

ghrelin is not totally removed in VSG, as there are measurable levels after surgery. further, just because the *main* (but not only) physical location of ghrelin release is left intact after RNY, that doesn't mean the body can't shut down production of ghrelin completely, or more than VSG as this study confirmed.

On 7/19/2017 at 2:18 PM, mstarrv said:

So I have my intro seminar scheduled for Aug 4th, and I am just wondering if anyone has insight to how long the process will take before I can get my surgery date? I have decided to do my surgery at the Fremont Kaiser Hospital if all goes well with intro seminar. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

I was referred at the end of Feb, my Options class was March 3rd - May 19th and will have my sleeve surgery on August 29th. Roughly six months for me with Kaiser.

Edited by KNJScorpio

I just had surgery at Kaiser Harbor City. I had 6 weeks of classes, psychologist visit, nutritional visit, lots of labs etc. Once all that was done, I was called for my surgery. The process takes about 4-6 months. I had vacations etc; so it took me longer.