Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Veterans: What makes you successful long term?

What makes me successful long term is.... never stop believing in yourself. Corny yes, but helps me. I talk to myself in a mirror ( I know , I know ). But seeing what I’m saying and thinking what I’m saying are two different things.
I’ve been down for a good 1.5 years and was about to say “F this” but, I prayed and prayed and started to believe in myself.

On 7/5/2018 at 2:42 PM, mi75 said:

I'm 4 years out also. In complete transparency, I fell off the wagon bad about 16 months out. I went through major life changes (moved, changed job, lost a parent, went back to grad school, graduated and went back AGAIN for a PhD, hubs changed jobs, etc.). Yes, major changes.

When I fell off, it was very gradual and I hardly noticed it until I had regained almost 40 lbs and got some seriously sobering health news last fall. It kicked my butt into gear and I went strict Keto and have lost all of my regain and continue to lose even more.

While I never even reached goal the first time around (I think that I had so much change during my honeymoon phase that I lost focus) I know that at this point I WILL get there and I plan to have my plastics done next year after I graduate for the FINAL time!!!

For me, I don't count macros too closely, I just focus on Protein, Water intake, moving every day, good sleep hygiene, supplements and I TRY to manage my stress so cortisol doesn't go sky high (I get serious belly gain when my cortisol goes up, and I have it clinically monitored every few months).

Yes I fell away, yes I regained, but YES I have figured it out and am making it happen. Even if I'm 4 years post op, I'm proof that it's never too late for anyone!!!

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to thank you for sharing. I really REALLY needed to hear this right now in my journey. I was sleeved almost exactly 3 years ago. Everything was awesome for the first 18 months. I felt amazing, I got within 9 lbs of my goal weight by 12 months out. I was training for a 10K... then a lot of major life changes, as well. I'm a single mom. Have been for 11 years, so that part wasn't new, but I had my heart broken again in early 2017 (devastated, really), 2 changes of job/career in less than 10 months following that, problems with my teenagers, and a pretty major depression brought on by another heartbreak that I fought for the better part of 6 months recently. I turned to alcohol to numb myself since I couldn't turn to food and, as you can imagine, that did not go well for me. Tons of empty liquid calories and no motivation to exercise or eat right... when I did eat, it was small portions but I was losing the battle to get enough Protein and Water.

I don't list this as excuses, because I know I need to own my poor choices. And I want to start over.

I initially lost over 115 lbs and maintained in that range for nearly a year before it fell apart. I've gained back about 85 now.

I have been beating myself over it and hoping that its not too late to turn the ship around. I still have the tools... Thank you for letting me know its not out of my reach.

I'm trying to get back to basics this week with protein and water... and also am 1 day alcohol free (which doesn't sound like much yet, but I'm motivated to keep going)