Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG Runners Question

I have my vsg scheduled for Aug 31! Woohoo:D!

Im a runner and have run multiple races under my belt(5k's , 10k's , 60 Halfs, and a full). I've lost 90's on my own but stalled greatly after running NYC. So I have opted to go gastric sleeve to help me along the rest of my journey.

Anyway, my question is I have signed up for the Glass Slipper Challenge at the end of February. I was told healing is 4 - 6 weeks before I can start running again.

A: Do you all think I'll be ready for that task at hand? I think I will be sticking with the Jeff Galloway walk/run

B: what do you all fuel with on long run days? I'm a hunny stinger gal currently.

C: I used nuun for so long but because it's a carbonated I can no longer use! I have read to use carbs in your Water? What do you guys use?

TIA

Edited by DarthMaz

I'm not a runner, so I can't help with B and C, however, I was back in the gym and cleared for everything but lifting 9 days after surgery. I was told by my team to "listen to my body" and I did and it was fine. As to C, the carbonated thing for your Water, by the time the race rolls around, you may be fine with it. I was sleeved 8/23 and by Thanksgiving I was drinking seltzer without a problem.

Best of luck.

I'm something of a runner....more like a 'trot' than run. ;) I think you'll be fine by February. Good luck with your surgery. I was doing 5k races before my surgery. I was a fit fat person! I even was in a Couch to 5k last summer and barely lost any weight. pffft.

Thanks guys for your input in some of the stuff above! Still trying to figure out the whole fueling thing.

anyone else have suggestions

I started running after surgery, I drink lots of Water the day before I participate in an event, and drink what I can the day of.. What I've found is that a 5K is fine, I don't need to fuel and can wait until after the event - I need to hydrate, but not eat for that distance. After or for a 10k, I need fuel. Protein Bars are fine. Peanut Butter sandwich on low carb bread is good after running, any kind of chocolate skim milk. The gel supports aren't ok,according to my surgeon. If I progress to a half marathon, he suggests runner's granola/trail mix, nut butters, Protein Shakes. It's more important for me to tend to my liquid intake than midpoint fuel.

I'm 10 weeks post-op and just starting back to running. At this time I can drink normally - normal size drinks, max 4oz at a time. I also use Nuun...I just let it go flat before I drink it, which isn't a problem.

So far my distances are short enough, that I haven't had to eat during the run....still rebuilding based on my energy level. I'm planning on a bit of trial and error as I find what works. Right now I'm leaning towards a small pouch of peanut butter...I know my stomach can handle it and sounds better than Gu. (I hated Gu pre-op so I don't expect it to have improved)

Edited by Lannie

On 8/29/2017 at 0:25 AM, Lannie said:

I'm 10 weeks post-op and just starting back to running. At this time I can drink normally - normal size drinks, max 4oz at a time. I also use Nuun...I just let it go flat before I drink it, which isn't a problem.

So far my distances are short enough, that I haven't had to eat during the run....still rebuilding based on my energy level. I'm planning on a bit of trial and error as I find what works. Right now I'm leaning towards a small pouch of peanut butter...I know my stomach can handle it and sounds better than Gu. (I hated Gu pre-op so I don't expect it to have improved)

Gu is the worst. I was using Honey Stingers. thanks for the info and good luck getting back to running!! May the Wind Be at your back and may the roads rise up to meet you!

I can't give you my experience as I am just starting on this journey-- I had my first surgical consult today: aiming for a mid-December sleeve date.

My first question for my surgeon was when I could return to running (more like slow-jogging/walking intervals) since I also signed up for the glass slipper challenge in February!! He told me I would be cleared to walk the day I was discharged, and he would expect me to be able to go to the gym within 1 week. He said to hold off on racing for 2-3 weeks, but essentially just said to listen to my body. I imagine, from what I've read, that our energy should return (or exceed) to normal by that time.

This will be my first runDisney race and I am super excited-- and excited that I might be a few pounds lighter by the time I pass through the castle! 😉

Just seeing this now... hope your surgery went well and you are on your way to a speedy recovery!

I ran my very first half 8 months post op so my guess is you will be ready, especially if you do Galloway intervals.

As for fuel... I've done it all from gu's to honey stingers to blocks to Beans and the homemade stuff. It all works and depends on your preference but most are tolerated post op... BUT not always right away. So play around.
Some people do have dumping episodes with the sleeve, it's mostly a bypass issue, but if you dump you may need to find lower sugar fuel sources, they exist and some runners can even fuel ketogenically. I'm not one but you can research it.

My favorites are Bonk Breakers, those Cliff pouches with real food (sweet potatoes, coconut mango, etc), jelly belly "beans" (they are electrolyte ones not just normal ones) and my own home made ones--throw 1 C dates, 1 C any nut, 1 C any dried fruit and 1 T vanilla in a food processor, process till smooth (like inside a fig newton) then roll into balls and coat w coconut flour.

Nuun isn't really carbonated, it's like Alka seltzer--plop plop fizz fizz then it's done. I let it finish fizzing and I'm fine. But Water, G2 Gatorade, Fluid (another favorite of mine), Powerade zero... they all work. Even salted water! Weird but gets your electrolytes in! Nuun has a new thing where you can put carbs in with a second tablet too. I don't use that formula myself, but it's a thing.

I can't give you my experience as I am just starting on this journey-- I had my first surgical consult today: aiming for a mid-December sleeve date.
My first question for my surgeon was when I could return to running (more like slow-jogging/walking intervals) since I also signed up for the glass slipper challenge in February!! He told me I would be cleared to walk the day I was discharged, and he would expect me to be able to go to the gym within 1 week. He said to hold off on racing for 2-3 weeks, but essentially just said to listen to my body. I imagine, from what I've read, that our energy should return (or exceed) to normal by that time.
This will be my first runDisney race and I am super excited-- and excited that I might be a few pounds lighter by the time I pass through the castle! [emoji6]

Oh that's awesome! You're going to have a blast just be warned the expo can get mad crazy for princess almost borderline psychotic with some of these "princesses" lol! I've done a few of their races and had a blast at each one so congrats on signing up and kicking some
Disney assphalt! Ha! I have an appointment on the 8th for my follow up! They said I could walk for now. So I will ask his guidance at that time! Just to be on the safe side!

Thanks for you info! Hopefully I'll see you out there running!!!

Just seeing this now... hope your surgery went well and you are on your way to a speedy recovery!

I ran my very first half 8 months post op so my guess is you will be ready, especially if you do Galloway intervals.

As for fuel... I've done it all from gu's to honey stingers to blocks to Beans and the homemade stuff. It all works and depends on your preference but most are tolerated post op... BUT not always right away. So play around.
Some people do have dumping episodes with the sleeve, it's mostly a bypass issue, but if you dump you may need to find lower sugar fuel sources, they exist and some runners can even fuel ketogenically. I'm not one but you can research it.

My favorites are Bonk Breakers, those Cliff pouches with real food (sweet potatoes, coconut mango, etc), jelly belly "beans" (they are electrolyte ones not just normal ones) and my own home made ones--throw 1 C dates, 1 C any nut, 1 C any dried fruit and 1 T vanilla in a food processor, process till smooth (like inside a fig newton) then roll into balls and coat w coconut flour.

Nuun isn't really carbonated, it's like Alka seltzer--plop plop fizz fizz then it's done. I let it finish fizzing and I'm fine. But Water, G2 Gatorade, Fluid (another favorite of mine), Powerade zero... they all work. Even salted water! Weird but gets your electrolytes in! Nuun has a new thing where you can put carbs in with a second tablet too. I don't use that formula myself, but it's a thing.

Brilliant! Thank you for the info! Totally looking into all of it!

Happy running

I'm 4 weeks post sleeve and just started back to running today. I took it slow but it felt good!