Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gain Creeping Up

I was sleeved in July 2014. Began at 240 lbs and got as low as 140. I maintained at 145 for 2 years. The last 6 months, I've been eating more and noticing the scale going up. I am now 155. I'm panicking because I don't EVER want to go back to where I was.

But, I'm hungry all the time. Previously, after surgery my Spouse would have to make me eat.

I had my surgery in Tijuana. So I'm not sure who to see in United States to address this.

Could my sleeve be broken?

What are you eating? Drinking? Getting exercise? Taking Vitamins? Getting Protein?
You have the answers to why you are gaining. Remember the sleeve is a tool.

Hi Chanale,

I have a very similar story. Surgery in July 2014, successful weight loss settling at 147 for 2 years then, recently, a slow creep upwards. I have gained 7 lbs since Christmas. I believe it was started by the Christmas goodies that weren't usually in the house and not part of my normal diet. 7 lbs may not seem like much but it's a gain and it came on fast and I'm taking it seriously. I've started really evaluating what I'm eating and drinking. Answers: 1. Drinking too much wine and snacking along with it. Not good. Also 2) Eating more sweets than normal. 3. Generally eating too many carbs and not enough Protein. 4. Having one last (unnecessary) small meal right before bed. So I've started to make changes. For me since my surgery eating dense foods isn't comfortable so I think I've found ways to be eating and drinking that doesn't cause discomfort. Some of those choices haven't been healthy ones.

While in my active weight loss phase I used My Fitness Pal to track nutrition and calories to make sure I was getting enough. I have started using it again to get a clear picture of what I'm eating and drinking each day. I think I came to believe that I could eat anything I wanted because the quantities were small so it wouldn't be a problem. Well, if you do that all day long the calories add up. They have for me.

I see this as a wake up call to become more engaged with my choices once again. The good news is that my sleeve is there to tell me I've had enough. I know how to do it. You also know how to do it. Let's stay in touch. :)

Trudy

On 7/18/2017 at 7:07 PM, kimberb said:

What are you eating? Drinking? Getting exercise? Taking Vitamins? Getting Protein?
You have the answers to why you are gaining. Remember the sleeve is a tool.

That's rich. Someone who's less than 6 months post op giving advice on regain.

Please refrain from giving people several years out advice until you maintain your lost weight for at least a year. People who haven't been there have no idea about the struggle.

That's rich. Someone who's less than 6 months post op giving advice on regain.
Please refrain from giving people several years out advice until you maintain your lost weight for at least a year. People who haven't been there have no idea about the struggle.

What the heck? I know about the weight struggle. I deal with it on a daily bases. Is there anything I said that was incorrect? Is not Protein, fluids, Vitamins and exercise something we all need for success? All these things are a life time commitment.

1 hour ago, kimberb said:

What the heck? I know about the weight struggle. I deal with it on a daily bases. Is there anything I said that was incorrect? Is not Protein, fluids, Vitamins and exercise something we all need for success? All these things are a life time commitment.

Nope. Everything you said was spot on.

What you DON'T know is things change couple to a few years post op. You're hungrier. Your capacity increases. Metabolism and hormonal changes along with several other psychological factors that happen years out are part of the reason people regain. Even people with the best of intentions who are doing mostly what they are supposed to be doing can still experience regain. If you haven't been there, how can you possibly comment or understand the struggle?

I'm going to be frank. Weight loss is easy at your stage. We get cocky thinking we have this ALL figured out. Then maintenence starts and we find new challenges and struggles that turn everything we thought we knew upside down. I would much rather seek advice from someone who has been there and understands than someone who hasn't.

That's all I'm saying. Im sure others several years out would agree.