Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all,

I had the sleeve 16 months ago, I weighed 395 when I decided to have it done. Day of surgery I was around 375 and to this day weighing in at 295 so all in all i've lost 100 pounds but for at least for 3 months i've been in a stall. Calories have been between 800-1000, low carbs, high Protein. Exercising 3-5 days a week. strength training (light weight high reps) and cardio (walking, biking) Well over 64oz of Water daily. WHAT THE HECK!! why can i not break past this stall ?? I can say I've lost some inches as my shirts fit much looser and my shorts/pants have gone from a 46" to a 40" and still have a little room to spare. I just want to break this stall, should I go back to like a pre op diet ?

What is confusing is A friend of mine who was about the same size as me had the surgery 2 months after myself only by a different surgeon and is down to almost 225 pounds already! I know everyone is different in how they lose the weight but dang.

Some people are just super responders and lose more.

Are you weighing all your food and tracking it in an app? Are you sure your calorie count is accurate?

How many grams of Protein are you consuming in a day?

2 hours ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

Some people are just super responders and lose more.

Are you weighing all your food and tracking it in an app? Are you sure your calorie count is accurate?

How many grams of Protein are you consuming in a day?

I do not measure my food, my day normally consists of a shake in the morning and ether another shake or 2 Breakfast sausage patties and one egg for lunch and supper might be ham and cheese roll ups or burger patty with Cheese or salad. Most days are about 70+ grams of protein.. I use my fitness pal to log everything from food to exercise

Hopefully one of the guys chimes in but...

If I were you, I would set my Protein higher, at around 100 grams and get that protein all from real food, not Protein Shakes. And I would weigh all my food, unless you are weighting your food you do not really know how much you are consuming.

1 hour ago, Floyd9181 said:

I do not measure my food, my day normally consists of a shake in the morning and ether another shake or 2 Breakfast sausage patties and one egg for lunch and supper might be ham and cheese roll ups or burger patty with cheese or salad. Most days are about 70+ grams of protein.. I use my fitness pal to log everything from food to exercise

It sounds like you may have a lot of processed foods in your diet - shakes, sausage, ham and cheese are all processed. At this point you have nothing to lose from experimenting, but I find not all Proteins are created equal. I avoid processed meats. And, at least for me, I tend to retain weight when I eat processed foods.

I would also recommend that you change up your proteins - do fresh tuna, salmon, pork, chicken, try a vegan day once a week with tofu or Beans, etc. For the animal proteins spend your money on the best choices (organic, grass fed, no antibiotics, no hormones - as good as you can get it). It's not like you are eating a lot anyway. In the past on diets I have found that if I eat the same thing every day and the same number of calories every day, I loose slower. So I try to change up my calories and proteins, even though what is easiest is to do the same thing and get in a routine.

You may also want to experiment with fats - good fats like avocado, EVOO, etc. and see what happens.

10 hours ago, Kat410 said:

It sounds like you may have a lot of processed foods in your diet - shakes, sausage, ham and cheese are all processed. At this point you have nothing to lose from experimenting, but I find not all Proteins are created equal. I avoid processed meats. And, at least for me, I tend to retain weight when I eat processed foods.

I would also recommend that you change up your Proteins - do fresh tuna, salmon, pork, chicken, try a vegan day once a week with tofu or Beans, etc. For the animal proteins spend your money on the best choices (organic, grass fed, no antibiotics, no hormones - as good as you can get it). It's not like you are eating a lot anyway. In the past on diets I have found that if I eat the same thing every day and the same number of calories every day, I loose slower. So I try to change up my calories and proteins, even though what is easiest is to do the same thing and get in a routine.

You may also want to experiment with fats - good fats like avocado, EVOO, etc. and see what happens.

Edited by Floyd9181

Just now, Floyd9181 said:

I do eat steak, tuna steaks, pork and chicken. I guess I need to eat them more though, usually I'll cook big on the weekends and eat left overs all week. I am going to up my Protein with these meats and up my cardio at the gym. I'm not a fan of avocado, what are some good sources for GOOD fats ?

Peanut butter/nuts/seeds all have good fats and some Protein. Olive oil, peanut oil, and butter are my go-to cooking fats. Peanut oil handles higher temperatures. (As soon as oil starts smoking, you're damaging it).

I get 70g of protein without a Protein Bar or shake in sight. Cottage cheese, greek yogurt, nuts, seeds, Beans, meat, poultry, fish, eggs.

Sample daily menu for you:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 4oz beans (21g protein)

Snack: 2oz nuts or seeds (14g protein)

Lunch: 4oz meat or fish (28g protein)

Snack: 4oz cooked spinach plus 2-4oz cottage cheese (whatever you can fit in) (7g-13g protein)

Dinner: 4oz meat or fish (28g protein)

Yes, it's a LOT of food! But, you're a big guy, and I suspect your weight is stalling because you're not eating enough. Even if you don't eat this much every day, to have an occasional "splurge day", will help kick start your weight loss.

I personally also take in a 4oz piece of fruit each day.. but that's optional, depending on your carb desires. (But I skip the dinner, and only have 1 egg for breakfast).

Nut butters are very calorie dense and the Protein is basically equal to the carbs. Unlesa you very accurately track them you can consume a lot of calories with them and trigger zero restriction.

So if you add them to your diet, be careful.

Thank ya'll for this info. I am gonna change things up and see what happens. Thank you all