Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was the biggest surprise for you at or after surgery? What do you wish you had known?

4 hours ago, ToSleeveOrNotToSleeve said:

I wish I had known how big of an IV they used for Bariatric patients (since we have reduces drinking capacity after) . Any iv's I've had in the past were no problem. But when they brought in that 18 gauge spear, I wanted to run. Now I understand why so many patients wrote about needing 4 tries before it was successful. It only took 2 tries in me, but the first one blew, then the 2nd one blew and was just not a fun experience.

Oh, they gave me two IV meds as they wheeled me out of preop. I don't remember what it was, but apparently a common side effect is an itchy crotch, lol. I complained to my hubby "my coochie itches!" and the nurse said, "oops, I forgot to tell you that part".

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

This is the single most terrifying thing I've read about this surgery. I have no fears about the actual surgery--but getting IVs put in can be a horrible ordeal for me. Four tries? I've had that happen and it produced tears. And I'm NOT a crier at all.

Oh, well. Still gonna do it on the 28th!

2 minutes ago, XYZXYZXYZ1955 said:

This is the single most terrifying thing I've read about this surgery. I have no fears about the actual surgery--but getting IVs put in can be a horrible ordeal for me. Four tries? I've had that happen and it produced tears. And I'm NOT a crier at all.

Oh, well. Still gonna do it on the 28th!

Oh No! That wasn't my intent. :( my problem was small veins. The other girls were dehydrated.

My Dr does like 15 surgeries per week and I've read 2 bad experiences. I personally was chugging Water at 10pm the night before to keep everything plump. I think my misery was because it blew and I wouldn't let them redo it. That made it worse because the IV meds were causing me agony. But I should have quit being q wuss and just let them redo it.

Best wishes!

ToSleeveOrNotToSleeve, thank you . . . I have veins that are hidden/small/roll-y--I've heard all the reasons (or "excuses"). I always ask for the very best person around to do my IV, but sometimes it's just horrible. I'm definitely planning on being as hydrated as I possibly can be. But, like I said, this particular issue is hardly likely to stop me, given the big picture (no pun intended!) here.

One of the 4 try girls... They ended up just giving her a shot to sedate her, then they did the IV in the OR. That would be nice!

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

When I got to Mexico I was super dehydrated. They tried twice to give me the IV. When it didn't happen, they did it while I was under anesthesia.

Given some of the things I'd read on here, I was expecting hell on Earth during the early recovery period, but it was actually very smooth. Manageable pain, no nausea, and I was up and walking around within hours. Zero complications. Since surgery I've lost about 5 pounds a week, which is pretty good. I understand that the weight loss won't always be this fast, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

Thank you for this thread! Huge range of normal, I'm not so afraid now. Tuesday is my day!

I agree! Thank for you this thread! I got butterflies reading alot of it! I hope that feeling normal for a pre-sleever!