Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How quickly can you go back to work? I was told this procedure could have me back to work in 3 days.

No way. 3 days? Wow. Please be careful, you will be exhausted and you haven't recovered yet. I was just sleeved on 6/19/2017. I just went to my first Dr. post op 2 week visit yesterday and got the okay to go back to light work, no heavy lifting (anything over 10 lbs.till 4 weeks) I slept for pretty much two weeks. I'm so tired. ugh. I guess I could have gone back, but my dr asked me what was the rush? He said that this is major surgery and I needed my rest, so I could heal my body and stitches properly. I'm glad I listened.

• Like 3

I have known a few who went back in 3 to 4 days but that is not usual... I went back in 3 weeks even though the surgeon said I should/could stay out another week. I probably could have gone back after 2 but I was getting paid and was still very tired so I stayed out for 3.... Don't underestimate how tired you will probably feel. Everyone is different.

• Like 3

The responders probably aren't aware you are discussing the gastric plication. Are you talking about the plication done laproscopically or endoscopically?

The laproscopic procedure might get you back to a desk job after a few days, but I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket. A physical job (especially lifting), will take much longer, due to incisions in the abdominal wall.

The endoscopic procedure probably would have a faster recovery time, since there are no abdominal incisions (what with going through the mouth/esophagus to access the stomach).

But, these are little known procedures and I really don't know how safe/effective they are, long term. If I were interested in plication, the endoscopic procedure does look interesting. But, I am not a fan of the concept of stitches having to hold things together long term. With the sleeve gastrecomy, the wound will heal over time, so it is my own stomach tissue that keeps things together.

With the plication, what happens if you pop a stitch? I could see where the stomach would balloon back out in that little area, then food could get trapped. (I don't know if this could/would actually happen, but it would be my fear.)

• Like 1

Because I do a lot of heaving lifting (up to 40 lbs) over my head, I was out of work for 8 weeks. I would have never been able to go back at the two week mark. I stand and move constantly all day, 5-6 days per week with tons of bending and lifting.

I was sleeved June 21st. Had some issues post op while in hospital. I went back to work on post op day 9. I'm a nurse in OB, I did light duty- kind of. I just stuck with the newborns, and was careful with bending over, reaching and twisting. Those activities were a little uncomfortable. I'm post op day 13 now. And I still don't think I'm ready to push and pull adult patients. I guess it all depends on your job. Good luck!

I had complications was in the hospital for five days and was back to work in two weeks. I also walked as much as possible in the hospital and then walked 2 miles a day when I got home once in the morning and once at night.

I was lucky, I had no pain or real discomfort after any of my surgeries. Didn't need any paid meds. Was discharged on day 2 after sleeve and bypass and back to work in 3 days. My work is fairly sedentary though. Office based within a hospital with some walking around throughout the day. I am having the gastric plication and the lengthening of the roux limb on Tuesday next week (5th Dec) and am expecting to get discharged on the 6th or 7th at the absolute latest then back to work on the 9th.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Featured Surgeons

1. Masoud Rezvani

Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

2. Lisa Medvetz

Downingtown, Pennsylvania 19335
      800-282-0066

• Recent Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BTmom

Can't wait to say goodbye to this body.... 

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Jodi1980

So I had a Pure Protein birthday cake bar for my p.m. snack and it was anything but. yuck. I think the only bar I like is their chocolate salted caramel. Disappointing.

I am drinking the Syntrax Nectar Pink Grapefruit. On a scale of 1 to 5, I'm giving it a 3 to 4 for taste. I think that leaves me with only one shake left and that is the green apple I believe. I will have to decide what I want to order for my final decision. So many flavors though...
      · 0 replies
    • Jodi1980

Tired the Syntrax Nectar Lemonade. Meh. It was okay but the foam/froth at the top kind of turned me off but I drank some of it.
      My husband, who will also be having VSG surgery next year, has been going to his nutrition classes so he wasn't home for dinner so i didn't have to worry about what to make him. I made Kraft mac and cheese for my son and well, I took about 5 big tablespoon out of the bowl as he ate his. Yes, I confess, I was doing so well! I didn't beat myself up though. I just know now, I can't be doing that anymore! I did add it to my Bariastic app. as I am tracking everything I eat and drink. Needless to say, those 5 tablespoon took 125 calories that quick!! I thought to myself, was it really worth it?! When I was in the moment, yeah, it was but I then why am I here in the first place?
      After I put my son to bed, I drank the rest of the lemonade. I give it about a 3. I had blended with just water and ice cubes. I'm thinking if ice was in my glass without blending, it probably would have tasted better. Trial by error, I suppose.
      This morning, I had the Syntrax Nectar Twisted Cherry. I blended at work with a banana. I give this one a 3. Kind of reminded me of children's cough syrup. I mean it wasn't horrible but I liked some of the flavors better. I already had a protein bar around 10am but it's already 11:07a.m. and I don't have lunch for another hour. 
      I was going to have my meal for dinner but I think I may just have it for lunch instead. I'm thinking a nice salad with some hard boiled egg for protein. Probably run to my local grocery store and get one from the salad bar they have! Just taking it one day at a time! 
      · 0 replies
    • okayestmom

My oldest son Just got home from deployment in the middle east. I missed him and am looking forward to spending some time with him.  He wants to go to Nebraska Furniture (north of us near where his sister lives) to look for a new dining room table for his house.  I will for sure be getting my steps in and my daughter has better furniture taste than I do, so that will help as well.  My stomach feels 100% better knowing he is safe (as long as we avoid I 35 construction haha).
      · 1 reply
      1. Orchids&Dragons

That's wonderful that your son is getting to come home and I hope you have a wonderful visit. Please thank him for his service and thanks to you for your service as well! I didn't think there was anyway to avoid the I-35 construction, short of growing wings. Good luck with that ;)

• Jodi1980

Lunch time was my yummy dinner from last night. I made homemade turkey chili. I know, it's the middle of summer but I wanted something hardy and that was perfect with some sliced avocado & a tad of shredded Mexican cheese. YUM! I found the recipe that was titled "the best turkey chili recipe you will ever eat" and in fact, it was!
      My shake this afternoon is the Syntrax Nectar Kiwi Strawberry with a banana. I brought in my magic bullet blender to work since it's light and portable. I used water this time instead of the almond milk. Sipping it now at my desk, it's pretty good. I'd give this one a 5! The banana takes over and taste just like strawberry banana shake. Yum!
      Not quite sure what I am planning on tonight for dinner but since I had my main meal for lunch, it will consist of a dinner shake and a p.m. snack after (protein based of course- probably 2 hard boiled eggs.
       10 more days until surgery... I really hope my liver is teeny tiny from all of this!
      · 0 replies
  • Trending Topics

• Magazine Articles

• Together, we have lost...
      lbs