Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regrets, anyone?

Hi, I'm new and scheduled for sleeve on 8/2. I've been wrestling with this decision for about a year. Does anyone 6 months to 5 years our from this surgery regret doing it?

Well, sorry, I see there are already several answers to this question, but if anyone else wants to comment, please do.

I'm 8 months out. My only regret is not doing it sooner.

I'm 27 months (2 years & 3 months) out. My only regret is not having had bariatric surgery earlier in life. I could have avoided the nonstop train of yo-yo dieting with constant weight regain and loss.

In retrospect, I'd have chosen the wrong surgery if I'd gotten bariatric surgery a decade ago. Sleeves were not popular as a standalone procedure back then, so I likely would have been steered into getting a lap band.

Hi, I had my RNY on July 2, 2013. I had a few problems with Strictures. I ended up having 5 Endoscopes with 4 dialations. This started early on in my recovery. My first one was NOV of 2013 DEC 2013 Jan 2014 July 2014 with my last one Jan 2015. Every thing has been great since my last one. My STATS are as follows HW 249 SW 235 LW 117 CW 125#'s. I got below my goal in 6 months. I have maintained my weight for 3 and 1/2 years. BTW yesterday was my 4th hyear out from my RNY. If you ask me the queston if I would do it again? With everything within me my anwser would be a huge YES YES!!! I won't say that I wish I had done it sooner because I really dn't think I would have been ready before. I was still in the mind set that I could stick to my diet and lose the weight that way. Well, that wasn't the case at all!! Another reason I am happy I waited is look at all the practice and perfection these AMAZING DOCTORS have learned. They have done some growing thrun the years. The Surgeon that I had does WLS thru the robot. Not for me but soe would use that. Any way GOOD LUCK on your journey and keep us all posted on your success!!

Sherrie, an RNY is a bypass, right? Your results are impressive!

Yes it is the bypass. Thank you and I know you can do it also. Just follow all of your Surgeon's guidelines. Keep asking ?'s. But remember this is their experience. Everyone's journey is their own. Don't weigh everyday because our weight can fluctuate all over the place. Keep in touch with like minded people!! This will help you cope when it seems like you have noone with you. Take care and keep us updated on your successes!!

I regret not pushing for it sooner. Also, take complete advantage of your honeymoon period!!!

I regret not pushing for it sooner. Also, take complete advantage of your honeymoon period!!!

Thanks! What is the honeymoon period?

It is the first year after surgery. It is easier to lose weight during that period.

18 minutes ago, em1209 said:

What is the honeymoon period?

After a weight loss surgery, the benefits of the metabolic changes and the physical changes of the body result in amazing weight loss. We often refer to this as the honeymoon period after weight loss surgery. Weight drops off quickly and at times, it seems without that much hard work. (Not that this is hard work…but in the honeymoon period it’s easier than before surgery).

I've quoted a definition of the 'honeymoon period' for you. Enjoy. :)

https://www.foodcoach.me/2015/04/22/the-wls-honeymoon-period-metabolic-changes-vs-physical-changes-and-why-you-can-still-lose-some-weight-after-its-over/

It won't allow me to read the article unless I join. :(

1 year old. My only regret is not doing it sooner and getting more of my life back.