Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! So I've creeped along the forum for some time now, but have never posted anything. Well I just had my Sleeve done June 28th, and today is my first day home. I'm suppose to drink 2 Protein Shakes a day, and I'm struggling. I've drank 1 and it took me almost all day, but this second one is killing me. If I tried to drink this and finish it, I think I will be up all night long. I also have to drink my Water to get the 2 liters a day. I know everyone's diets post op are different, but what if I'm unable to finish it? I'm going to try, but I'm nervous I'll be unable to. The thought of doing this all over again tomorrow and the following week is making me so nervous. Did anyone struggle with the 2 shakes a day? Any tips or advice? Also is it totally terrible if I'm unable to finish this second one? Sorry for all the questions, I don't know who else to ask.

My doctor wants me having between 40-60 grams of Protein a day and it been hard for me too. I was sleeved on June 29. I set a timer for every 15 minutes and drink 1 to 1.5 ounces each time.

Bless your heart. I pray you will get all the answers you need. I'm an upcoming candidate for sleeve real soon.

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

I was sleeved five days ago and I have been able to get down two shakes and 64+ ounces of Fluid (that total does include the Protein shake) without much difficulty. I don't think I would have been able to get in the amount of protein I can now only two days post-op, so it may be that you will get everything down better in a few more days.

The important thing for you at the moment is to make sure you are getting in at least 64 ounces of fluids, so I would recommend focusing on that. It is okay if you can't get all of the protein yet; that will definitely become easier with time.

Ladies can you tell me. Is the procedure pain bearable?

I had my sleeve on June 27th. I woke up in a great deal of pain, but with the pain mess and making myself get up and walk, I was able to handle it okay. This was my first time to ever have surgery so I had no idea what to expect

Hi everyone! So I've creeped along the forum for some time now, but have never posted anything. Well I just had my Sleeve done June 28th, and today is my first day home. I'm suppose to drink 2 Protein Shakes a day, and I'm struggling. I've drank 1 and it took me almost all day, but this second one is killing me. If I tried to drink this and finish it, I think I will be up all night long. I also have to drink my Water to get the 2 liters a day. I know everyone's diets post op are different, but what if I'm unable to finish it? I'm going to try, but I'm nervous I'll be unable to. The thought of doing this all over again tomorrow and the following week is making me so nervous. Did anyone struggle with the 2 shakes a day? Any tips or advice? Also is it totally terrible if I'm unable to finish this second one? Sorry for all the questions, I don't know who else to ask.

I haven't gotten past just small amounts of chicken broth, so I'm thinking you're doing great, lol. I wasn't planning to start my shakes until day 7 and my DR agreed.

I was sleeved five days ago and I have been able to get down two shakes and 64+ ounces of Fluid (that total does include the Protein shake) without much difficulty. I don't think I would have been able to get in the amount of protein I can now only two days post-op, so it may be that you will get everything down better in a few more days.
The important thing for you at the moment is to make sure you are getting in at least 64 ounces of fluids, so I would recommend focusing on that. It is okay if you can't get all of the protein yet; that will definitely become easier with time.

Thank you so much. You've eased my mind a bit from worry. Hopefully it will get easier to get the complete amount of Protein Shakes in in a few days. Im still going t try, but I will definitely focus on the fluids.

Thanks for your concern! I was in more pain than I thought I would be. Almost unbearable when I woke up in recovery. Once the pain meds kicked in it wasn't nearly as bad. Removing the JP drain was also a terribly weird feeling that included pain. I think the reason why I was in more pain, was because I was expecting it to be quite a bit easier than it was. I read many things and everyone was saying how it wasn't that bad etc. So I wasn't expecting the severe pain. I'm only telling you this so you can possibly prepare yourself. I feel if I would have read about how painful it was I could have better prepared myself mentally. Everyone's different so you may not experience the pain I had. Just know it will pass, and it will be worth it in the end! I know I keep telling myself that.

Omg lol. I know I asked, now I hate it. Smh, everyone acted as if it was a breeze. Thank you. So how long was the procedure, and your stay?

Omg lol. I know I asked, now I hate it. Smh, everyone acted as if it was a breeze. Thank you. So how long was the procedure, and your stay?

Everyone is so different. I had very little pain
I was mostly sore like I had done crunches. I had no gas pain at all.
Try not to freak yourself out!

Yes it's not as bad as some say, but everyone is different I was walking the hall the same night and went home the very next day.

Sent from my N9519 using BariatricPal mobile app

As you can see many people had very little pain, so hopefully you are mixed on there with them! I was up and walking same day as surgery, and as I mentioned after the pain meds kicked in it wasn't nearly as bad.

Honestly, everyone is different and how they are able to take liquids and Protein Shakes changes from person to person. My doctor gave me the recommended 2 shakes and 64 oz once I was two weeks post op. However, I was not able to stomach my Protein shakes and they made me very sick. So my clear liquid diet lasted 2 weeks. With the second week was me getting in the 64oz Water needed. I took Protein Shots to get in the protein.

My advise is to try to get as much as you can in. If you cannot finish the rest do not force it. You will make yourself sick.