Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Possible erosion and port issues please help

Hello, Im new to this board and I am in need of help. I just want to hear others stories who have gone through it so I know Im not alone. I have been having port pain off and on for a couple weeks. I know this can be normal since I have been banded for 8 years. The pain happens when I stand and sometimes get so bad that I can hardly walk. It just last for a couple mins and is then gone. On top of the pain I have now started getting acid reflux which I never had before. I haven't had my band checked in about 4 years because everything has been fine until now. I am concerned of possible erosion. Has anyone else experienced this? If so please share your experience and how everything turned out after surgery. My biggest fear is that I will have life long problems and my stomach will never be the same. I really appreciate any info you can provide.

You are not alone....

i was banded Aug 2009 and everything went great until about a year ago when suddenly I started experiencing reflux. What was odd was at times I could eat anything and at other times I could eat nothing without it coming up. It just kept getting worst until the point I could not sleep properly as I would wake up choking with a mouth full of whatever I last ate.

The kicker was the port was also starting to bother me and would become really painful at times. I had lost most of the weight I wanted to and had not had an adjustment in over 5 years. I become more concerned as time went on and brought it up with my general doctor at my last physical in late May. He referred me to the bariatics department and I met with a doctor who arranged for a fluoroscope immediately. The results were not good and it showed a deviated esophagus... while trying to swallow a gulp of barium- noting was getting through for 15 minutes.

i was immediately referred to one of the surgeons who met with me the next day and arranged for surgery to remove the band entirely. At that same time he removed all he Fluid from the band, nearly 6cc, which provided immediate relief.

I had the band removed 3 weeks ago tomorrow and have my life back. I forgot what it is like to not have the reflux and ongoing issues. The larger incision where the port was has finally fully healed and there is no longer any pain there.

After all these years of eating small portions I will be able to continue to eat properly and monitor my weight.