Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you have the AP lapband please respond

I have the large AP band. I get my first fill November 3rd. I have my full appetite back since surgery. Does anyone know about how much fill I will probably get with that band and how much it will help right away? I'm anxious to get started. :hungry: :cry

Wendy,

I too have the large AP band and my first fill is Nov. 26th. I talked to the doc today and he told me that I will get a 4cc fill. He said if there is any problem (I wikll get my fills at the Obesity Clinic ) with the nurse giving me 4cc's, that I need her to call him!

This is because I am self-pay and for the first year after surgery, my follow up is included in the price (17,400) But the doc doesnt do the fills, if I choose for him to do it, it will cost me.

I have the new Ap band that holds 10cc. My doctor filled it to 5cc on surgery day. My first fill (4 weeks later) was today and the APN added 1cc, which brings me to a total of 6cc. I really can't feel a difference yet. I asked when most people hit their "sweet spot" and she said around 7cc or so.

I have the AP small, had 4 cc's put in during surgery, 2 cc's added 6 wks later then 1.6 put in 3 weeks later for total of 7.6 cc's. I have trouble getting 1/2 cup down before I start having it come back up. Going to have .5 cc's removed tommorrow.

I went in for my first fill today. I asked what size band I had and he said the AP smaller band. When they did the surgery they didn't fill it at all. I see some doctors do. He put in 3 cc's today and you can go back every 2 weeks to get 1cc after that until you get there...better than once a month. That would seem like forever to finally get to that sweet spot. I had some Soup for supper and feel full off of that..but will try the solid foods in a few days. He said sometimes 3cc's is enough, but I doubt it will be. :rolleyes

I had my 4th fill on Nov 1st and initial the Dr. wanted to bump me up from 6cc to 8cc of saline in may 10cc APS Band because I had my 3rd fill in Oct 9th and went from 5cc to 6cc and when came back this time I had gained a little over a pound.

The nurse that does the fills hand concerns because of the episode that I had back in August where they took me from 4 cc to 5.5 cc and I could not even swallow my own spit. So she took me up to 8 cc and gave me boost to drink and sure enough the Fluid was not going through. So she backed me down to 7 cc total. I was able to drink the boost in small sips no problem. Well it is now day 3 and I don't feel pain but I feel pressure and like the liquid is backed up to my throat and I know that it is going through but it is very very slow. Today I was at work and I used 30cc cups and taking very small sips to drink my Water and my Protein shake. I feel like I did right after surgery back in June. I am only getting in maybe 500cc of Water and 500cc of Protein Shake each day for the last 2 days. today I did try some pureed bean Soup only 3 teaspoons and I felt full. I know that there is swelling involved after a fill. But is this normal? I should be going to pureed foods for the next 2 days then soft foods for 2 days but I think I wills stay with liquids for a few more days. Since my fill I have Pb'd 2 times and that was in the middle of the night going into the second day. I have not PB any since then but the liquids go down slow.

I have decided that if I continue to feel this discomfort I may go for a small unfill. But I will wait because in August I thought that I had found my sweet spot but after the swelling went away I was still able to consume the same amount that I did be for I had the adjustment with out any problems.

My AP band holds 10cc. As of three weeks ago I'm at 7cc's and honestly I'm too tight but I havn't had a chance to go and get any taken out. I probably only need like a .2 removed so I can at least drink liquids during the day. The plus side is I've lost 13lbs since then.

Well...my 1st fill of 3cc's did nothing. I hadn't thought it would but I was hoping. I go back every two weeks for 1cc more..hopefully soon......:bored

My wife and I both have the same band. We had are first fill and my wife got 2.5cc and I got 1 cc and within a week we were ready for another fill. We go back in a couple of weeks and hope to get more than the first time. Will keep everyone up todate.

Chris

The fill guy said that it's usually between 5-6cc's to start working with the AP small band. I know this is safer than bypass but it sure would be nice not to have to keep filling and waiting...filling and waiting.lol. I want restriction and no hunger pains NOW. :faint:

I have the AP small, which holds 10 cc's. My 4th fill was last week and I think I'm truly at my sweet spot now. The PA that did my last fill said that, although there is no standard, they are finding that patients are experiencing good restriction at 6 to 7 cc's with these new bands. She also said that they are having a bit of trouble with getting patients too tight. It's a learning experience for them as well as us.

• So far I collected the following information with thanks from my doctor and other AP bandsters:
    • They are either APS (small, 10cc) or APL (large, 14cc).
    • They are considered by some to be "the next generation in AGBs".
    • They are considered less likely to cause blockage or obstruction than other AGP types.
    • They are considered less likely to slip than other AGP types.
    • They are considered to be less likely to cause band erosion than other AGP types.
    • Like the VG band it is "Omniform" technology - i.e. the balloon has ribs or baffles and the band itself is curved.
    • The AP has more of a 360 inflation around the stomach as opposed to the 10cm or 9.75cm (4cc) bands, which have more like 260 or 280 degrees inflation (the rest being the buckle), and the VG which has more like 280 or 300. It is understood that this was simply an upgrade to the existing band to make it easier and less traumatic to remove.
    • The silicone material is much softer than other AGP types.
    • They are more concentric (rounded) when inflated than other AGB types.
    • The balloon is pleated to 'grip' the stomach better.
    • The balloon goes all the way around the inner surface of the band, rather than missing a piece at the locking mechanism.
    • The balloon is wider. A sideview of the band shows the balloon protruding top & bottom rather than sitting flush.
    • They have an easier release mechanism to remove the band if need be.
    • They have the locking mechanism isolated from the stomach.
    • AP type bands have been FDA approved for the US, but will not be available until the summer at the earliest.
    • We understand that there are NO plans at this time to discontinue any of the bands Allergan already makes. They still plan to manufacture and offer the 10cm and the 9.75cm (the 4cc) bands as well as the VG band.

lapband_1.jpglapband_2.jpg

Hey U all I also found this link for technical information regarding the APS and APL. Its a little long.

http://www.lapbandcentral.com/lapban...dfu/L013-2.pdf

Happy Reading!!!!

I have the AP small band which holds a total of 11cc's. It should always have at least 1 cc in it. Thats for the cushions all around the inside of the band, to decrease risk of slippage and erosion. So that leaves room for 10cc's to be added over time for restriction. The large band can have a total of 14 cc's.

My first fill was 2.5 on 9/17 and my 2nd fill on Nov 7th, was 1.75 cc. For now i feel great restriction, but it will probably loosen some as I lose more weight.

My wife and I sure need a 2nd fill. We are hoping to get it another one the Monday after Thanksgiving. After the first week with fill # 1 I was ready for a fill # 2. Not sure how much will get the 2nd round will ask for a lot.

Chris