Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do You Agree With Brad ??

Hey guys,

Are you up for a little debate? ok, here it goes....I'm a Christian, proud and happy to be one, I love God/ Christ and I humble myself to Him because I want to and I like it, I enjoy that humbling experience... and I do have other reasons to believe........

Of course, I know that not everyone agrees with me but I respect everyone's opinions, yes.... even if we can't agree, LOL!

I normally don't listen to celebrities talking about religion or politics, in my opinion, they show ignorance most of the times, specially when they talk about politics.... but an article popped up in MSN about Brad Pitt and I do admire his humanitarian work, so I read it , and I thought it was interesting what Brad Pitt said about his view/feelings on religion.... I personaly agree that religion in general is good....no matter what yours is... what do you think?

The following is the article:

"Religion works, Brad goes on. I know there's comfort there, a crash pad. It's something to explain the world and tell you there is something bigger than you, and it is going to be all right in the end. It works because it's comforting. I grew up believing in it, and it worked for me in whatever my little personal high school crisis was, but it didn't last for me. I didn't understand this idea of a God who says, 'You have to acknowledge me. You have to say that I'm the best, and then I'll give you eternal happiness. If you won't, then you don't get it!' It seemed to be about ego. I can't see God operating from ego, so it made no sense to me."

Thanks for reading guys, later.....

Helen;)

god does not take any active part in this world or universe. The most we can expect is benign indifference.

god does not take any active part in this world or universe. The most we can expect is benign indifference.

OK.........I do respect your opinion...

"Religion works,"

Religion is a very effective means of accomplishing some outcome. It would make sense to say that religion works in so far as it is able to accomplish its outcome. The extent to which the outcome works for <population> is dependent upon <population's> desire to achieve the outcome.

I don't think it can be made as a blanket statement that "religion works" - that leaves too many questions.

Hey guys,

Are you up for a little debate? ok, here it goes....I'm a Christian, proud and happy to be one, I love God/ Christ and I humble myself to Him because I want to and I like it, I enjoy that humbling experience... and I do have other reasons to believe........

Of course, I know that not everyone agrees with me but I respect everyone's opinions, yes.... even if we can't agree, LOL!

I normally don't listen to celebrities talking about religion or politics, in my opinion, they show ignorance most of the times, specially when they talk about politics.... but an article popped up in MSN about Brad Pitt and I do admire his humanitarian work, so I read it , and I thought it was interesting what Brad Pitt said about his view/feelings on religion.... I personaly agree that religion in general is good....no matter what yours is... what do you think?

The following is the article:

"Religion works, Brad goes on. I know there's comfort there, a crash pad. It's something to explain the world and tell you there is something bigger than you, and it is going to be all right in the end. It works because it's comforting. I grew up believing in it, and it worked for me in whatever my little personal high school crisis was, but it didn't last for me. I didn't understand this idea of a God who says, 'You have to acknowledge me. You have to say that I'm the best, and then I'll give you eternal happiness. If you won't, then you don't get it!' It seemed to be about ego. I can't see God operating from ego, so it made no sense to me."

Thanks for reading guys, later.....

Helen;)

To me, that quote is saying that there is no God, that people believe in whatever they believe in (whether it is Allah, or God, or Buddha, etc.) because they need to believe in something, to believe that there is someone or something taking care of them, that no matter what they go through or suffer in this life, they will be taken care of and rewarded. It's just human nature to want to be taken care of, to want to be loved. I totally agree with that.

Religion is a very effective means of accomplishing some outcome. It would make sense to say that religion works in so far as it is able to accomplish its outcome. The extent to which the outcome works for population& is dependent upon population's& desire to achieve the outcome.

I don't think it can be made as a blanket statement that "religion works" - that leaves too many questions.

Interesting point of view.... I think I could to say that Religion works in general, if I look into each one and it's details and the outcome among different populations I guess I couldn't be 100% sure.... if I'm making any sense here....

Laurend, that's complimentary to what I posted. "It works because it's comforting. " It's very hard to say whether or not I agree with Brad because Brad hasn't really said anything. In reference to what I said above, if Brad (being <population> in this case) is seeking comfort, and religion provides it to him, then religion works for him. "Works" needs some work.

if I look into each one and it's details and the outcome among different populations I guess I couldn't be 100% sure.... if I'm making any sense here....

Some people are afraid of losing loved ones, and religion brings them the comfort of "life after death" or "reuniting with your friends and family." For the people who cannot, or opt not to, consider life and existence is the most generic term as finite, religion works for them.

Some people choose specific religions based on the religion's leniency or tolerance. They find that it alleviates a sense of personal responsibility, because I can always just "confess" or "pray" or "do penance" and be forgiven. For these people looking for ways to avoid personal responsibility for their action, religion works.

For people wanting to make money, religion can be very profitable. Religion works for them.

Just a few examples.

Laurend, that's complimentary to what I posted. "It works because it's comforting. " It's very hard to say whether or not I agree with Brad because Brad hasn't really said anything. In reference to what I said above, if Brad (being <population> in this case) is seeking comfort, and religion provides it to him, then religion works for him. "Works" needs some work.
Very true. Religion, for some people, isn't about comforting. Therefore, they believe that any belief that leads people to feel "comforted" doesn't "work." I think the best way (at least for me) to describe it is that "religion does what it does." If people want to get comfort out of it, that's what they get. If they want fear, they get fear. If they want vengeance, they get vengeance. In that way, I'd say it definitely works.

To me, that quote is saying that there is no God, that people believe in whatever they believe in (whether it is Allah, or God, or Buddha, etc.) because they need to believe in something, to believe that there is someone or something taking care of them, that no matter what they go through or suffer in this life, they will be taken care of and rewarded. It's just human nature to want to be taken care of, to want to be loved. I totally agree with that.

I didn't get that he meant that there is no God from his quote, besides, when you mentioned Buddha, Allah or God, they are really all GOd, only different names used by different religions...however I do get that he feels that it doesn't matter what you believe in....and I agree with you that it's human nature to want to be loved and taken care of...

I didn't get that he meant that there is no God from his quote, besides, when you mentioned Buddha, Allah or God, they are really all GOd, only different names used by different religions...however I do get that he feels that it doesn't matter what you believe in....and I agree with you that it's human nature to want to be loved and taken care of...

That's what you believe, though. I bet if you ask certain members of other religions whether their deity is the same as another deity, they'd disagree. It just depends on how they believe.

Some people are afraid of losing loved ones, and religion brings them the comfort of "life after death" or "reuniting with your friends and family." For the people who cannot, or opt not to, consider life and existence is the most generic term as finite, religion works for them.

Some people choose specific religions based on the religion's leniency or tolerance. They find that it alleviates a sense of personal responsibility, because I can always just "confess" or "pray" or "do penance" and be forgiven. For these people looking for ways to avoid personal responsibility for their action, religion works.

For people wanting to make money, religion can be very profitable. Religion works for them.

Just a few examples.

Well, I don't think religions offer much leniency or tolerance, quiet the contrary...most will restrict our behavior in many ways... if we follow it and practice it.... and in fact I think it could actually make you even more aware of your responsabilities....

however I do get that he feels that it doesn't matter what you believe in
That wasn't what I was trying to say. I was trying to say that the basis of a religion, IMO, is fulfillment of certain needs that a population has. People feel the need to be taken care of, so they invent a caring deity. They feel the need to believe that they will be rewarded for suffering that they've experienced, so they invent heaven or another similar place, depending on the religion. They feel the need to believe that the people that torture and torment them will themselves be tortured and tormented, so they invent hell. If the population is a punishment-driven society, they invent a vengeful deity. Etc, etc, etc.

IMO, is fulfillment of certain needs that a population has.
I think at a very fundamental (or perhaps infantile is a better word) level, people are looking for ways to explain things that they cannot otherwise explain, e.g. origin myths.
I bet if you ask certain members of other religions whether their deity is the same as another deity, they'd disagree.
Indeed! Ask a satanist if they worship the same deity as christians.

That wasn't what I was trying to say. I was trying to say that the basis of a religion, IMO, is fulfillment of certain needs that a population has. People feel the need to be taken care of, so they invent a caring deity. They feel the need to believe that they will be rewarded for suffering that they've experienced, so they invent heaven or another similar place, depending on the religion. They feel the need to believe that the people that torture and torment them will themselves be tortured and tormented, so they invent hell. If the population is a punishment-driven society, they invent a vengeful deity. Etc, etc, etc.

hhhhhhmmmm, yeah I can understand that, for instance, in my own case, I don't really care for being rewarded one day , frankly I'm s darn far from perfect that I don't think I'll be rewarded, period...LOL! I also don't care for those who've done me wrong to pay in hell.... don't know why, but I don't care.... my main reason to believe is different a little.....I admit it's comforting....so I like that, but also I believe in a higher power, who for me happens to be God/Christ and I just feel it in my heart...it's hard to explain it in words...