Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

RNs, What are you eating during your shift?

Hey all,

I had my sleeve done 5/26 and was out for a month. I recently returned to work was an ICU nurse. When I was cleared by my DR he told me that he does not want me drinking Protein Shakes and wants all my Protein to come from food (doesn't want me drinking my calories). My concern is that I rarely ever get my 30 min uninterrupted break. I worked my first shift the other day and because it was the weekend, I could keep my drink out without being nagged about it. I took me a majority of the day to finish my large yeti cup which I did have a Protein Drink in (100 calories). I got out late and hadn't eaten all day so I ate some of my salad that I had brought just before leaving. I feel like this is going to be my biggest issue and I'm just looking to see what my fellow RNs are eating during their shift that can be quick but a lot of protein. I also work rotation so I do nights as well.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi there I had my sleeve 5/24 and am a ER RN and breaks are a rarity for us too. Something that has been helping me is baby bell cheese. I can toss one in my pocket when I go in the break room to pee then eat when I chart. [emoji849] also Greek yogurt mixed with milk to make my own drinkable yogurts so I can drink on the go helps for sure.

I now have a work-from-home desk job these days. However, I worked as an RN house supervisor at a specialty hospital during my first year with the sleeve.

I'm two years out and continue to drink Protein Shakes and eat Protein Bars. While your surgeon's advice is solid, he doesn't understand the time constraints of floor/unit nursing.

When I worked the floor I packed Protein bars, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, beef Jerky, baked chicken drumsticks, deviled eggs, string cheese, chef's salads, and canned Soups.

I'm tired lol...some times I'll bend over n get a lil lightheaded honestly. Some days I feel bloated n can't seem to eat anything over 2 bites or so. No issues with bowels or anything. Fellow RN told me I looked a lil pale today so idk maybe I'm just worn out lol. How about u? Thanks for asking

I can understand your surgeons advice- my surgeon would prefer us to get our calories from food do and not do as much Protein Shakes. With that being said I am an RN too and Protein shakes work for me and I continue to drink them at over three years out. I usually drink one on my drive into work and drink another on my drive home. That way even if I get busy I have a nice amount of protein in my system. For my meals I pack a variety of stuff, but like you said some shifts we don't have time to sit and eat a leisurely meal- that's why I always have a Protein Shake with me at work. Good luck

I'm tired lol...some times I'll bend over n get a lil lightheaded honestly. Some days I feel bloated n can't seem to eat anything over 2 bites or so. No issues with bowels or anything. Fellow RN told me I looked a lil pale today so idk maybe I'm just worn out lol. How about u? Thanks for asking

I can't imagine doing the hard work you do on so little food!
My energy is slowly returning but even after I do something I'm pretty wiped out. That's really my only complaint, lack of energy. Glad you're feeling mostly good though!

Canned chicken with some mayo packets from the cafateria.

Small individual Nut butter packets. 2 tbls I think.

string cheese in my pocket.

Parmesan cheese crisp.

I feel your pain. I'm 7 weeks post op and 2 weeks back to work. I work in a GI procedural area and I have no time to slowly eat or drink anything. I go from one procedure to the next within 10 minutes. I also had a hernia repair with my vsg. lunch is too short to eat slow meals and I'm often very sick after I eat lunch. Probably eating too fast. I don't have time to drink much Water either. I feel so bad after lunch that I wanna resort to not eating lunch at all. I have not figured it out yet and I am suffering.