Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chicken wings and worry

So I got the green light to incorporate new foods into my diet. I ate three chicken wings and they were so good. Tossed in spicy garlic and parm. Delish.

My concern is I seem to tolerate anything I eat. I can't eat a lot but have this cast Iron stomach.

Is this unusual? How it's supposed to be? I also don't have to chew chew chew. I can take nearly normal bites with no issues and I can gulp Water easily. It seems weird to me when I'm reading on here and everyone appears to have tender stomachs.

I'm 3 weeks post op. I had three chicken wings today also was fine. But thought maybe a few bites of thin crust pizza. Oh no just a few bites and I'm in pain. I do believe eventually well be able to eat normally just lesser amounts. I just get like a stabbing sensation with some things yet. But I think with time it'll be better.

Sent from my SM-N920T using BariatricPal mobile app

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

You're still healing. Nerves have been cut and things stapled back together, compromising some feeling you may have in your new sleeve. Try not to push it, measure your portions, and stick to your prescribed diet in the mean time.

Some of us have sleeves of steel. Not all of us have thrown up and can tolerate an assortment of foods well. I am one of them, and I consider that a good thing. Don't rely on adverse effects to keep you on the straight and narrow, because that doesn't last anyway.

Edited by Greensleevie

Thanks. I won't. I weigh/measure everything. I'm trying one thing at a time and the wings fit into my Keto plan but I guess I expected my sleeve to hurt.
Trying to find my way and it's just such a new way of life. Thanks again for the advice.

I can eat anything as well but choose not to, that would defeat the reason for this 18 month journey. This is just a tool for the physical the mental needs work as well.

I kinda feel the same way, but I noticed that I tend to get the sleeve fullness WAY after I've eaten. Like 40-50minutes later. I tried some pulled pork and was surprised at how well I was tolerating it and ended up eating past my limit. On the way home well after dinner was finished, I started to feel the pain from eating too much. Then another 20minutes later it passed and I felt hungry again. I can also eat 4-6oz of mushies, but I see people who were sleeved weeks before me saying they can only tolerate 3ish oz of food.

I eat every 3 hours and don't eat to my limit, but I feel like I could eat more if I wanted to.

I kinda feel the same way, but I noticed that I tend to get the sleeve fullness WAY after I've eaten. Like 40-50minutes later. I tried some pulled pork and was surprised at how well I was tolerating it and ended up eating past my limit. On the way home well after dinner was finished, I started to feel the pain from eating too much. Then another 20minutes later it passed and I felt hungry again. I can also eat 4-6oz of mushies, but I see people who were sleeved weeks before me saying they can only tolerate 3ish oz of food.< br> I eat every 3 hours and don't eat to my limit, but I feel like I could eat more if I wanted to.

I stop before I get full because well, I should and also because I'm scared. Scared to not do what's right and scared it will hurt. I feel like I could eat more as well but that might be because I don't let myself get too full. It scares me. I guess in some ways we're lucky and in some ways we aren't.
I will say the three wings definitely did fill me up but not to the point of pain. So I felt the restriction at least!

I had chicken wings about 6 months after surgery and two was pretty painful - everyone is different

Did you have the sleeve?

I can eat anything as well but choose not to, that would defeat the reason for this 18 month journey. This is just a tool for the physical the mental needs work as well.

I'm working my ass off on the mental. It's for sure the biggest part of the journey for me.

4 minutes ago, Joann454 said:

I'm working my ass off on the mental. It's for sure the biggest part of the journey for me.

I started seeing a therapist waaaaay before I even thought about have surgery to deal with changes that come with menopause and empty nest issues. It really has helped me through this process as well.

So I got the green light to incorporate new foods into my diet. I ate three chicken wings and they were so good. Tossed in spicy garlic and parm. Delish.
My concern is I seem to tolerate anything I eat. I can't eat a lot but have this cast Iron stomach.
Is this unusual? How it's supposed to be? I also don't have to chew chew chew. I can take nearly normal bites with no issues and I can gulp Water easily. It seems weird to me when I'm reading on here and everyone appears to have tender stomachs.

Joann454:
I am 9 weeks out from the sleeve and I too can eat anything!!! I also can take relatively large sips of liquid. I wondered id I wad alone. I guess everyone is different. I almost wish I was the oppisite though.

Sent from my SM-N920P using BariatricPal mobile app

Lucky dog....got nauseated off a meatball yesterday. Sleeve to rny though. I was able to eat whatever when I had the sleeve too just small amounts

I'm not sure why people are acting like chicken wings are the devil in this thread.

The only issue I have with chicken wings is they are a pain to track, and you can't really track them accurately.

There seems to be an idea that people can't tolerate things, and honestly that is pretty rare. My opinion on that is it is based on one, a lot of previous WLS patients that were old, and already in bad health and had RNY. Then when you add in people that had lap band and all the issues that came with it, there is this idea that eating is hard, it isn't.

A sleeve is really just a small stomach, so unless you had some other issues before, you are still going to tolerate almost everything. Which is why as sleevers, nutrition and life long changes are very important.

I eat chicken wings because it is fattier white meat and basically the only way I can tolerate chicken. Chicken breasts are too dry and painful to eat. As long as they aren't coated in mounds of flour they aren't an issue.

Well I won't weigh in on the chicken wings because I didn't like them before and I don't like them now (I also don't like macaroni and cheese, my kids think I'm from an alien planet).

But yeah if you have the sleeve there's no reason you won't be able to tolerate anything. I have a few things, but most stuff is just fine! Early out its different but by about six months most of us can tolerate anything.