Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr said I don't qualify for sleeve after band removal

I have to have my band removed next week due to ulcers in stomach and throat . My band doctor said I don't qualify for WLS my BMI is not high enough I weigh 190 lbs down from 240 gained some back with the health issues drinking slider food Choclate shakes as they did not hurt or burn my throat like food did with having the ulcers .Im considering going to Mexico Im scared to death to gain all or some weight back any thoughts? id like to lose 40 -50 lbs my family and friends tell me to do it on my own? I wouldn't of loss without my tool the band ant help would be appreciated I spent most the day in tears yesterday

JTHmom,

I had the band to sleeve revision done, and I am 5' 6", had the band at 240, the sleeve at 192 on April 7th, and CW is 178. My doctor was great and realized that if the band was removed, I would be right back where I was in the beginning. I did, however, have to fight with my insurance company to get it approved because at 192 I didn't qualify. They would cover the band removal. Crazy, right? I don't think that he made my pouch as small as some of his other patients. I have had no problems with eating, nausea or pain. Maybe sit down with your doctor and try to get him/her to see your side of things.

Good luck, and don't give up!

I understand how you feel. I was denied a sleeve and I have learned a lot about the appeal process. First of all, do not give up. One denial is not the end, not by a long shot.

First, the best plan is to have your provider initiate a peer to peer appeal before you get involved. They can speak the language and explain the risks and complications. In my case I have had mechanical failure of the band for the past 13 years, including a revision to a new band in 2015. In your case, did your doctor say if the band contributed to the issue? Even if not, you have been successful with it and removing it because of unrelated issues is not your fault.

Talk to your doctor and see what they say. There are plenty of stories of people appealing themselves and getting the approval.

Keep us posted!

See another Dr. I have a feeling though with the ulcers you might not be a good sleeve candidate and RNY would be better.