Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all

I'm so glad I've finally found somewhere to share thoughts and feelings about this dramatic event that's due to happen. I'm feeling very isolated. For me, its in less than 2 weeks, and I'm really nervous about the whole thing, but mainly about regretting it after its done.

I've had no contact with my hospital apart from the initial consultation with my surgeon, and a letter confirming the date of op. No pre op diet requirements, no pre assessment, nothing.. Getting concerned now.

I've read so much, both good and bad, maybe a little knowledge is a dangerous thing eh?

Would love to hear some stories and advice from you all.

Edited by Welshcakes
Typo

Hi Welshcakes

Honestly there's nothing to be afraid of 😊

I had my surgery at Spire Bushey in Watford on 6th April 2017 so far I've lost 35lbs since surgery and 52lbs since the start of my 2 week pre op diet

Couldn't be happier - I'm already feeling the benefits of weightloss. For instance when walking to the tube station I'm less out of breath than before, I fit into public chairs better, I've gone down 2 dress sizes (refuse to buy new clothes for now though lol) and am feeling great.

I was in hospital for 2 nights for my op, all of the staff and the surgeon were lovely. Anaesthetic was fine, one minute I was chuckling at the anestetists joke the next minute I was waking up and my surgeon told me it all went well, I even had a hernia that he fixed, didn't even know that was there.

It'll be difficult tp drink much for the first few days but after that you get accustomed to not being able to gulp Water anymore (small sips all the way) - pain from incisions was barely noticable I felt more pain from gas that was stuck in my shoulder joints but even that went away after a week

This will be something you won't regret trust me!

Hello Londongal

Thanks for the comforting words. :-)

Your experience sounds great, with a bit of luck, mine will be the same.

Can I ask what sort of pre op diet did you follow?

Gill x

Hello Londongal
Thanks for the comforting words. :-)
Your experience sounds great, with a bit of luck, mine will be the same.
Can I ask what sort of pre op diet did you follow?
Gill x

Hi Gill

No problem, I'm sure your experience will go just as well

My pre op diet were a variety of shakes and Soups - I did cheat 2 days out of the 2 weeks I ate Pasta and rice on those days but it all went ok after. I also had the option to eat meat and veg as the pre op diet instead but I chose the liquids as I though they'd be easier to make during busy days.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, I'd be mire than happy to answer

23 hours ago, Welshcakes said:

Thanks Lg.

I've opted for the liquid diet too. Seems easier to manage. food just makes me hungry. 😀

Yes, plus it's better prep for post-surgery when you'll be on liquids for a few weeks after the op - easy to adjust to if you're already on liquids lol

A good time to have your 'goodbye old me' meal is 2 weeks before your op, just before you start your liquid diet