Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Many of my close friends and family know that I have had a battle all my life. A struggle that has been at the forefront of each and every day that I can remember of my life. Something that I know many of you can relate to and also struggle with. Weight. For all of my teenage years and into my adult life I fought every pound my body so readily gained. I was active, I rode horses every day, I played sports, I camped, and I hiked. I grew up on a farm, so throwing hay and carting buckets of Water and grain was any every day normal for me, however, as active as I was I gained weight at what seemed to be astronomical speeds. I was always the heaviest of my friends, even though I ate far less and much healthier foods than they, growing up on the farm, we ate home grown everything. I didn't chow down on the Cookies, cakes and fast foods my thin friends ate and yet, there I was 50-75 pounds bigger than all of them. I can remember in 8th grade I weighted 185 pounds at 5 foot 3 inches tall at that time. Every minute of my life all I thought about was how I worked so hard and stayed so active and yet I was heavy. When I was 19 I became pregnant and my weight went from 190's to 240 plus. I was able to lose a bit of the "baby weight" and got back down to around 210 pounds. Three years later, and after every diet known to mankind, from weight watchers to metabolife, I was pregnant again, this time ballooning up to 270 pounds. I was on depression medications afterwards. I was sick, very sick from the depression and literal pain of morbid obesity. Many years passed, and many more diets came and went, Atkins, The Zone, Jenny Craig, South Beach, slim fast, fasting, dexatrim, low carb, low fat, high Protein, phen phen and hgc diet, I tried them all. In that time I was never able to maintain anything under 200 pounds. At 32 years old, I went through a terrible divorce, and I don't know about any one else but divorce was like a living death for me, I gave up on myself at that point. In 2010 and weighing 256 pounds I finally found some hope to all the endlessness. I was able blessed to have family and friends and insurance see me through a life saving lapband surgery in April of 2010. I finally had the extra push and the help I needed. Though I did not lose weight fast, 5 pounds a month or so, I was healthier. My blood pressure returned to normal, my pre-diabetic blood sugars returned to normal, I did not have to have a cpac machine, my joints ached less and I felt pretty great all around. (My photo is after my surgery, after I had lost some weight and felt almost normal) So than why, you might wonder am I here today? Two months ago my lapband "slipped." It is not in the right place in order to help create the pocket of my stomach as it once had. Basically there is no restriction. Not only has this caused me to gain almost 40 pounds in 2 months, I am no longer able to feel a feeling of fullness. I still eat healthy, as anyone who has had weight loss surgery knows, you have to go through nutrition courses and relearn how and what to eat, my issue is is that even after I have eaten my salad, I feel as though I have eaten nothing at all, there is no satisfaction, no full feeling and so one salad becomes two, becomes three, and so on until I am in literal pain and a whole head of lettuce is gone in one sitting, not to mention the tomatoes, cheese, diced chicken, onion, zucchini and what ever other topping I can find to eat with it. I have gained weight back so fast that my bones, muscles, joints and ligament scream in pain in a constant. In just the past two months I have went from 177 pounds to 227 pounds. My blood pressure is on the rise, and as we all know all the other health risks associated with morbid obesity are close at hand. Another complication my lapband has caused because of the slippage is sever heartburn, acid, re-flux and gurd. Those in themselves have life threatening side effects, esophageal cancer at the top of the list. Though I have insurance, it does not cover the full cost of the surgery I need to have the band removed and replaced with a gastric surgery. I know this is a lot to ask of anyone, and to some it may even seem selfish, but I am a 40 plus year old, married, mom and I am not asking this in order to win any beauty contests. This is not cosmetic, in fact I never had the excess skin removed from my last surgery (which is now filled in again) because this is not about appearances. It's about a person, many of you may know in one form or another that just wants to spend the second half of her life healthy. A life not waking up to the fears of diabetes, heart attacks, uterine cysts and cancers that are so often coupled with being morbidly obese. And to not have to carry that tag ("morbidly obese") of death every day of what could be a shortened life. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you, thank you for reading this far, thank you for your understanding, and compassion, you are a rare gift, and I mean this sincerely as there are some even in my own home that persecute me for even writing this. You are my hope and my salvation.

Sincerely, Liv.

https://www.gofundme.com/livs-surgery

Edited by MilkweedSnifflez
added information

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches