Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WORST TIME TRYING TO GET THIS DONE

19 hours ago, Maxthecat said:

I had to do the same and while I was frustrated at the time, it was for my benefit and not to "jump through hoops". Having maximum oxygenation going into surgery will minimize risk and speed up recovery. So it is necessary.

I was able to find a different clinic that offered early morning appointments so I met up with the Dr at 8am and then did the tutorial on the machine at 7:30am. After that all the data is transmitted electronically so there were no follow up appointments.

Like I said, I was frustrated, but it was worth a couple more inconveniences to get the surgery. I am a month out and down 25lbs. (RNY)

Went to another doctor. All settled. Completely unnecessary for me to be on a machine for several weeks leading up to surgery. Having one IN surgery/recovery is fine (even though the hospital will provide one).

More frustratingly, same doctor - my mother used - double my age, multiple more health concerns - didn't even have to take a sleep test, never mind this.

Frustration levels would be less if location was closer. New doctor significantly closer. Shame on me for not looking around myself instead of just accepting a reference.

1 hour ago, Ouiser said:

Went to another doctor. All settled. Completely unnecessary for me to be on a machine for several weeks leading up to surgery. Having one IN surgery/recovery is fine (even though the hospital will provide one).

More frustratingly, same doctor - my mother used - double my age, multiple more health concerns - didn't even have to take a sleep test, never mind this.

Frustration levels would be less if location was closer. New doctor significantly closer. Shame on me for not looking around myself instead of just accepting a reference.

No shame hon. You learned and moved on. :) I'm glad you found another doc.

On 6/7/2017 at 11:17 AM, Ouiser said:

That's my issue. Why do I have to now clear the sleep Apnea before having the surgery that supposedly will clear the issue? Your last sentence says it all. I want to feel like whatever team is working with me and not against me.

When you look up surgeons on this site... I noticed mine was listed as "STARTER..." what does that mean? I looked up another one that was recommended to me and his comes up "GOLD..."

sleep Apnea has huge effects with anesthesia. You could wind up dead on the table if they don't know what level of ventilation support you need.

Does that qualify as enough of a reason to have the testing done? (It could also kill you in your sleep, then you wouldn't need surgery to fix the apnea, either. Sorry to be testy about it, but if you aren't comfortable with your docs, then change groups. I don't know what the various designations (Starter v. Gold) mean. I'm sure there is an explanation somewhere on the web site.

sleep Apnea has huge effects with anesthesia. You could wind up dead on the table if they don't know what level of ventilation support you need.
Does that qualify as enough of a reason to have the testing done? (It could also kill you in your sleep, then you wouldn't need surgery to fix the apnea, either. Sorry to be testy about it, but if you aren't comfortable with your docs, then change groups. I don't know what the various designations (Starter v. Gold) mean. I'm sure there is an explanation somewhere on the web site.

So u just super increased my anxiety about 100 levels... I have sleep apnea and now I'm in a panic that I might die on the table...thanks for that

17 hours ago, lindabalseca said:

So u just super increased my anxiety about 100 levels... I have sleep apnea and now I'm in a panic that I might die on the table...thanks for that

Don't be. As I mean mentioned in another follow up....switched providers and they agreed it was excessive.

1. Hospitals are fully equipped to handle breathing difficulties waking up from anesthesia.

2. Only patients with severe cases of.sleep apnea may be required to bring their own equipment.

Having the test done was never the problem. It.was a at home test. Easy. Mailed to me and shipped.back. The anger was the request to.treat the sleep.apnea before surgery. Having a cpap machine.for use during recovery is fine.

Don't be. As I mean mentioned in another follow up....switched providers and they agreed it was excessive.
1. Hospitals are fully equipped to handle breathing difficulties waking up from anesthesia.
2. Only patients with severe cases of.sleep apnea may be required to bring their own equipment.
Having the test done was never the problem. It.was a at home test. Easy. Mailed to me and shipped.back. The anger was the request to.treat the sleep.apnea before surgery. Having a cpap machine.for use during recovery is fine.

Actually it was directed to diana_in_philly... I have very bad sleep apnea like 77 times an hour interruptions my insurance Medicaid will not cover the machine so I have been trying to do some home remedies to make it better. Now I'm too scared to have surgery because if I don't wake up I'm a single mom with no other family and don't want to leave my daughter without a mom

Actually it was directed to diana_in_philly... I have very bad sleep apnea like 77 times an hour interruptions my insurance Medicaid will not cover the machine so I have been trying to do some home remedies to make it better. Now I'm too scared to have surgery because if I don't wake up I'm a single mom with no other family and don't want to leave my daughter without a mom

I'm not positive but doesn't the surgery improve sleep apnea?

I'm not positive but doesn't the surgery improve sleep apnea?

That's what I thought till Diana in philly said there's a good chance to die on the table because of the anesthesia

That's what I thought till Diana in philly said there's a good chance to die on the table because of the anesthesia

Is your surgeon aware that you have slept apnea?

As far as I know... sleep apnea patients are required to go for a sleep study before being cleared for surgery?

Not to make things hard for you but it takes awhile to get used to CPAP and using the machine just afterwards for recovery might not work. It took me almost a month before I stopped removing my mask while I slept at night.

HW-292

SW- date 7/6/17

CW-268

Just a few tips from a person who’s 18 months post op. Which ever direction you decide to go with, remember to always do everything you possibly can to have the utmost outcome and very minimal or no complications. Surgery is stressful mentally and physically to the human body. Lungs and heart work together so you want to make sure everything is working properly. Yes, obstructive sleep apea can be difficult post op but it’s imperative that you have the correct equipment and choose a good facility. Always listen to your surgeon and try to follow instructions to a T. Do whatever you need to do to become healthy and strong. Research all your options and never give up! I wish you all the best for a safe and speedy recovery! Welcome to a new you[emoji173]️