Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fasting and liquid diet

I am a Muslim and we are in the fasting month, m alittle confused with fasting and doing the liquid diet at the same time, is it possible, has anyone come across this? How did you feel? Our fasts last 12 hours, please advise
Sent from my Pixel XL using BariatricPal mobile app

Forgot to add my pre op diet starts on the 9th of June and surgery is 27th of June

Assalam Alaikum

Im in the same boat. I was going to ask an imam, but I believe as long as your not fasting due to medical reasons, unless you feel like you can do it. Ask your doctor to see what they recommend.

Forgot to add my pre op diet starts on the 9th of June and surgery is 27th of June

Assalam Alaikum
Im in the same boat. I was going to ask an imam, but I believe as long as your not fasting due to medical reasons, unless you feel like you can do it. Ask your doctor to see what they recommend.

Wslm
I started the pre op on Friday and also fasted and then Saturday was too weak to fast as I has a runny stomach all night so I skipped fasting and Saturday I was doing well and at night I cheated, but I hope I don't cheat again, and yes I spoke to dietitian she says I could continue with the diet after breaking fast but it's very hard, by yesterday evening I was very dizzy and weak, when do u go for surgery?

Salams everyone,

I'm also a Muslim and started preop diet on Friday. Surgery June 30th IA. Fasting but just flipping timing for shakes. May Allah make it easy for you all. Wassalam

Asalamo Alaikum [emoji5]

As I stated in another post..

I will be starting my pre-op diet on June 20th, so just a week-ish before Eid. I don't want to risk screwing up my surgery *OR* my health. And as@Israh said, as it is for medical reasons, Insha Allah, not fasting for those days would be permissable.

My pre-op diet is very specific and requires me to consume a certain amount of calories, liquid (including Water and Protein shakes), etc thru out the day. I wouldn't be able to do it if I was fasting. Also, I work very tough hours and I can't risk becoming ill because I couldn't consume enough calories or water to keep me going.

So my plan is to complete my liquid diet, hopefully have a successful surgery. And after I heal I will make up the missed fasts, as long as my body allows me to.

We aren't supposed to make our Deen difficult for ourselves. If you still feel conflicted, I would say contact your surgeon and possibly reschedule your surgery a few weeks after Eid.

Salams everyone,

I'm also a Muslim and started preop diet on Friday. Surgery June 30th IA. Fasting but just flipping timing for shakes. May Allah make it easy for you all. Wassalam

Wslm Aliya u only taking shakes?is it hard? I think I should also fast what made me weak was the food poisoning I got, the vomiting and diarrhea, my surgery is 27th June I am supposed to have started the diet on Friday but cheated last night and today-havent been fasting. That's making me feel so bad

This is so exciting!! [emoji322] [emoji322]

I don't know why but I didn't expect to meet anyone of my culture or religion who was going down this path! Let alone with surgery dates so close to mine!!

9 hours ago, jene786 said:

Wslm Aliya u only taking shakes? is it hard? I think I should also fast what made me weak was the food poisoning I got, the vomiting and diarrhea, my surgery is 27th June I am supposed to have started the diet on Friday but cheated last night and today-havent been fasting. That's making me feel so bad

Salams jene786,

Based on what my doctor and nutritionist said. I have 2 shakes a day (Celebrate with trim/skim milk) and 1 meal of 100-120 grams of Protein (chicken, seafood, Beans, eggs, lite cheese) and 2 cups of non-starchy vegetables. I haven't had any vomiting or other problems with it thus far. Alhamdulillah.

So I have a shake for for suhoor, then have a little bit of protein to Breakfast with a date. Then have meal about 30 mins later with rest of protein. Then have final shake 3 hours later.

Salams jene786,

Based on what my doctor and nutritionist said. I have 2 shakes a day (Celebrate with trim/skim milk) and 1 meal of 100-120 grams of Protein (chicken, seafood, Beans, eggs, lite cheese) and 2 cups of non-starchy vegetables. I haven't had any vomiting or other problems with it thus far. Alhamdulillah.
So I have a shake for for suhoor, then have a little bit of protein to breakfast with a date. Then have meal about 30 mins later with rest of protein. Then have final shake 3 hours later.

But when are you getting your Water in?

My surgeon expects me to get 64+ ounces of water in daily... I can't imagine doing that before suhoor and after iftaar. [emoji29]

I feel guilty... But I truly don't think I'd be able to get into ketosis unless I followed the diet my nutritionist/ surgeon provided.

Salams!

I'm wondering why my doctor doesnt have me starting the liquid pre-op diet earlier. My surgery date is June 28, and I was told to start it June 21, so one week before.