Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I flew for the first time since losing 145lbs. Going thru the full body scan it alerted to my stomach/groin area. I had to have a full pat down in that area. This is the area with the most lose and extra skin. My stomach hangs out like an over stuffed fanny pack. I didn't mind the pat down because I appreciate airport security when I'm going to be on a plane. So I'm just assuming my skin and fat in that area are the reason I was flagged both times. Anyone else experience this or other things at the airport and suspect it was your extra skin?

Did you have a belt on? I can't imagine skin triggering the alert.

Yep. Every time (I fly a lot). It's the loose skin because I never wear belts and never have anything in my pockets. This is really common for people losing massive amounts of weight, btw...

On 5/31/2017 at 10:29 AM, Savagegirl said:

Did you have a belt on? I can't imagine skin triggering the alert.

No belts or anything of the sort. On the trip home I wore a simple sleek skirt on purpose just to eliminate and clothing bunching possibility. But it still happened

It just happened to me too! It was my first time flying since losing weight. The TSA lady showed me the scan, there were like 5 or 6 dots all showing up around my lower abdomen/groin area. I do have a lot of loose skin there. I didn't trigger the alarms when walking through the regular detector, just when I went through the full body scanner where you have to lift you arms over your head.

I had read about this on prior discussions on this board. Consensus has been that it is not the staples because they are very tiny and would not trigger scan. It is something about the extra skin that confuses scan.

I am flying from Phoenix to Chicago in July for my wedding, 4 months post op and I'm currently down 62lbs from pre op & 83lbs since I started my journey last September! I'm really nervous about being stopped at security like this!! [emoji51][emoji51] When this happened did security give you any advice on how to not make this happen???

I think the only way to assure it'll never happen is to have plastic surgery. It happens to me pretty much all the time (although the airports I've been to have those full-body scanners - sounds like the older ones might not do it?). I always tell them I've lost over 100 lbs and it's loose skin, but they pat me down anyway.

Aww man, guess I better prepare myself bc both of the airports I'll be flying through have those full body scanners!!!

Oh wow! I fly a lot too and am glad I know about this.

I traveled for the first time since surgery last week and I didn't experience that.

Height: 5'0"
Weight for WLS consultation: 216 lbs.
Surgery date: 2/13/17
Goal: -71 lbs for healthy BMI (about 145 lbs).
Current weight: 158.4 lbs
My profile picture is not me. It's my "FITspiration" body.

I had no idea this was even a possibility!! The thought definitely never would have crossed my mind. Thanks for the heads up, ladies!

It always happens to me. I have the pair shaped body and have saddlebags on the side of my thighs and the fanny pack lower stomach. They keep asking me if I have something in my pockets. I usually answer, no, it's fat and hanging skin, then stand there for the pat-down. You can't get out of it! Darn.

Same just happened to me. I flew from Chicago to Arizona no problem because I didn't get picked to do the full body scan. When we flew Arizona to Chicago I was picked to do a full body scan. He showed me the scan and yes it shows a bunch of yellow spots all over belly and inner thigh area. They had to do a pat down. I didn't say anything and just let her do her job but it kinda sucks. I've only lost 65lbs but I have extra skin on my inner thighs. It does makes you feel weird to have a pat down. I guess it's something we have to be prepared for every time we fly unless we have plastic surgery.

Good to know. One time, I just wasn't thinking and wore a dress that had these little sparkles on it. I lit it up like the Fourth or July! LOL -- Been patted down with a walking boot when had an Achilles problem...so I'll just add this to the list. I always go through the full-body machine through Philly. MCO (Orlando) is hit or miss. Those are the airports I've been through the most.