Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kind of have myself a little concerned. Two weeks ago my endocrinologist put me on more of an insulin dose than I had been for the 6 months since my bypass.

My blood sugar numbers have certainly been coming down. But I've not changed anything about my eating. And I've gained 3 pounds in two weeks. I've had to do less than 10 regular units most days....and I'm on 40u of tresiba

Anyone have any advice?

First, are you type 1 or 2? Type 1 .. well, I have no experience. Have to defer that to more knowledgeable peeps.

As for type 2.. I live with an insulin dependent type 2 diabetic. We do notice that his eating can vary widely on a day to day basis at home. When that is the case, he invariably needs more and more insulin. When he is in the hospital or rehab (unfortunately a frequent occurrence), the regular, consistent, counted meals result in his needing less insulin and weight loss. He is a hopeless case, and there is no fixing his home habits, so don't worry about him. But we can learn from him.

In order to get control of things, you need to set up an eating schedule with counted carbs, and stick to it. Be extra conscientious about taking your blood sugar levels and adjust your insulin accordingly (if it's a system you can make modifications yourself).

At first, don't change your eating habits, just keep track of them for at least a week. Once you know what you are eating, you can make tweaks. Drastic changes will likely result in low blood sugar levels, so make changes slowly. Meal management does become a full time job, but with your condition, that's part of the deal. The alternative, as you have discovered, is more insulin, weight gain, and possibly all the other diabetic complications.

I am pre-op, but I have type 1 diabetes and I'm insulin dependent. I'm sorry you have to take more insulin, because from what I know, insulin you have to inject makes you gain weight. From my 13 years of experience with diabetes, there are so many things that can effect your blood sugar and insulin intake. Stress, hormones (when I have my period my #s are all over the place), changes in diet and exercise, illness, etc... Sorry I don't have a better answer for you, but I wish you luck!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

They increased her insulin because her blood sugars had been running too high. The way to decrease blood sugar levels is through strict dietary management.

An ideal carbohydrate consumption goal is 15g for each of 3 meals, and 7.5g for each of 2 Snacks. For a total of 60g carbs per day. This is assuming you are still trying to lose weight.

If your carbs are much higher than this, you need to taper down gradually, so as to not suffer hypoglycemia from too much insulin.

Not everyone can exist successfully within an "ideal" framework, so that particular plan may or may not actually work for you. But it is a plan you can try out and see.

I did ask about the changes and I get why...I am already at 15g per meal. And 15g in one snack and zero in my other ( Protein only ). I'm not sure how many fewer carbs I can eat. I track all my food and showed him. So apparently I do need the insulin. It just stinks that the weight gain along with it threw me for such a loop. I'm going up on my workouts hoping hat helps some.

CRINOLOGISTCRINOLOGISTAs was said there are many things that can make you need MORE INSULIN. but my hubby has also been on insulin forever a very long time. His Nutrtionist and his RD told him that each meal he was to have 45grams of carbs. which is 3 carbs per meal and that is when he weighed over 400#'s. There is a difference in TOTAL CARBS and GRAMS of carbs. Also you can deduct the Fiber in the foods and then it is NET CARBS. Each person needs to work with their ENDOCRINOLOGIST and a DIETITIAN to figure out the amount of carbs and calories that you will need to be able to lose weight and keep everything on a level plan to be sucessful. It is very frustrating I know, my hubby had a hard time when he was told to lose weight and get his A1C down to a 8 to get his surgery done. He had to do one or the other because they didn't happen together. He ended up going to Mexico to get WLS. That is another story. Good Luck and KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!

Ok, so if your carbs are on target, then I wouldn't touch your diet yet. Exercise sounds like an excellent plan. (I'm proud of you! Your dietary management sounds great!!).

Again, gradually increase exercise so you don't get low blood sugars!