Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all - I'm a new sleeves, May 22. Day 6 post op. I'm suffering from nausea. Zofran does seem to help but just wondering how long it'll go on. And I have headache in my neck that just won't quit. Just looking for some reassurance. Having trouble getting my Protein and Water in. I'm up to about 35 oz of water but only about 30-45 grams protein. Still feel hungry but stomach rebels and won't take it. And I'm trying walk but get weak and lightheaded. How are some people walking a mile or 2? A flight of stairs and I have to rest!!

I'm so glad I'm not alone! I'm 9 days post op and I'm having the hardest time. I haven't been able to eat any of the purées, anytime I put something in my mouth I feel so sick. I can't keep up with my Water or Protein and that makes me nervous. I'm feeling pretty despessed at this point. I really hope this start going away soon. And I am so exhausted all the time- I'm assuming since I can't keep up with my protein?

Just tried to eat some cream Soup and after 2 tsp - nope. I just gag. Haven't thrown up since the hospital but gag all the time. I'm going to email my doctor Tuesday about the nausea. My nurse mentioned to me about the scopaline (sp?) patch for nausea and I've seen it mentioned on here as well. Maybe that will help. You're not alone - I'm feeling pretty miserable too. I know it'll get better but the day to day is very tiresome.

Forgot to mention, has your sense of smell gone into hyperdrive? Omg I've had to move candles out of the room, my husband cooked broccoli last night and I thought I was gonna lose it! He cooked bacon this morning and I had to go outside until he was done eating . I've always had a strong sense of smell but this is over the top and it contributes to the nausea.

Edited by Karcares

I went through a phase of nausea that was awful, this will pass :)

Most likely not hydrating enough if you still feel sick

Today I feel awful - I'm so weak I had to sit down in my shower How do I know if I'm at the point I need iv fluids?

You need to be drinking some Powerade zero and get hydrated.

Headache kills me in the middle of the night. Have had to sleep in the living room the last 2 nights because my cat is driving me insane in my room. Her litter box is cleaned at least 5 times a day but the smell is horrible after surgery. Also everything tastes different. It's all a good thing , just frustrating. I am meeting my Water and Protein requirements day 4 post op, but have not tried to walk more than around the house or grocery store yet. Those who can do miles a day after surgery are just special.

HW: 328 (02/21/17)
CW: 275 (preop 53# disowned)

I've had the hypersensitive smell as well it's awful! My husband pan fried some black bean burgers and OMG!!! My nausea has happened every time I've eaten anything with mayo in it tuna salad, pimiento cheese, etc.... Also dumping anyone else having that problem?

Today I feel awful - I'm so weak I had to sit down in my shower How do I know if I'm at the point I need iv fluids?

If you are that weak, dizzy, and nauseous it's a sign you are dehydrated. This can get serious. I would go to the ER for IV fluids. They can get you back on track. It will help the nausea and dizziness.
Don't feel like you failed because of this. Once they get a couple liters in you, you'll feel much better.
Take care. Keep us posted. Feel better.

thanks for your help everyone. I called my doctor and he didn't seem to think it warranted a trip to the ER although I have no doubt I'm dehydrated. He said to try and drink more. I tried Propel Water which had electrolytes and Vitamins, plus some flavor, and it went down easier than plain water. I've also found I'm having more success with hot or cold beverages, instead of room temp. He also mentioned even though I'm getting my Protein in, I may need more calories in general - thus the weakness. I'm trying 🙄

I'm so glad I'm not alone! I'm 9 days post op and I'm having the hardest time. I haven't been able to eat any of the purées, anytime I put something in my mouth I feel so sick. I can't keep up with my Water or Protein and that makes me nervous. I'm feeling pretty despessed at this point. I really hope this start going away soon. And I am so exhausted all the time- I'm assuming since I can't keep up with my protein?

Yes. I know it's hard, try a powder protein and add to the water. It's helping me to get in 64oz of water and also the scoop accounts for 30-30 grams of protein. You can do it. Add a scoop to 33oz of water and then when done, repeat. Kill two birds with one stone.

If that tastes too bland, add a little crystal light or a tiny bit of jell-O to the water/protein.

Otherwise the energy will come from your heart muscle and you don't want that. Small, tiny sips, all day long.

You got this.

Just tried to eat some cream Soup and after 2 tsp - nope. I just gag. Haven't thrown up since the hospital but gag all the time. I'm going to email my doctor Tuesday about the nausea. My nurse mentioned to me about the scopaline (sp?) patch for nausea and I've seen it mentioned on here as well. Maybe that will help. You're not alone - I'm feeling pretty miserable too. I know it'll get better but the day to day is very tiresome.
Forgot to mention, has your sense of smell gone into hyperdrive? Omg I've had to move candles out of the room, my husband cooked broccoli last night and I thought I was gonna lose it! He cooked bacon this morning and I had to go outside until he was done eating . I've always had a strong sense of smell but this is over the top and it contributes to the nausea.

Omg I feel the exact same way and I'm 13 days post op....I have no idea when this gets better....I am on zofran also but I can't have anything near me because the small makes me nauseous

I'm having trouble drinking my full liquids and am taking a product called Prostat. It's a Protein Syrup that has 15g of hydrolyzed collagen protein per 1oz, sugar free, and 100cals/oz. I do have to warn that the taste isn't bad, but it does smell, sort of like lunch meat. I pinch my nose when I take it which helps mask the smell. I double checked with my NUT and she said it's fine to take (I recommend you do this as well), it also says right on the bottle it's for people who have had bariatric surgery.

The max recommended dose is 3oz/day, which is 300 calories and 45 grams of protein. At least then you can get a jump on your protein and focus on getting more fluids in.

As far as your activity.. you are still healing and on a very low-calorie diet.. so do what you can. It's typically recommended to be up and moving at least every 4 hours in order to prevent blood clots. I'm just doing laps in my apartment as I live on the second floor and don't want to get stuck going back up. It may seem like contradictory advice, but you gotta get plenty of rest and stay active. So do what activity you can and make sure it's no more than 4hrs since the last time you've been moving, but make sure you rest afterward. Hopefully, you'll be able to tolerate more, go longer distances, need less time to rest, and seeing gradual improvements from one day to the next.