Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Constipation and anal fissures

I hope this was the right place to post this. I'm scheduled for my surgery on July 12th. So excited and ready for this. But a big concern is the Constipation I've heard can be a problem after surgery.

I've been told to drink lots of Water after, but I have anal fissures which I'm dealing with it right now actually. I drink anywhere from 64 oz or more a day and I still have to take stool softener and Fiber stuff. I don't have a constipation issue. I just have to keep the stool soft and unrough (no nuts or stuff like that) for it to heal. I'm worried the too firm a stool will not be a good thing after surgery. :(

Has anyone dealt with this and what they did or any recommendations?

Do you have many bowel movements while on the pre surgical diet and post liquid phases? I'm thinking this would be a good time for mine to heal. It's always the movement that aggravates it and starts me back as square one.

Thanks in advanced for your help,

GrInS :)

I didn't have any issues until about 4 months post op (that is when I ended up in the ER for fecal impaction). Ever since then I have to strain a little to have a BM. I drink plenty of Water. I don't think it effects everyone.

Generally after surgery you are restricted to a liquid diet to begin with and then onto pureed food a few weeks later. It is only after a month or two that you progress to solids.

So generally after surgery, it is common to not even have a bowel movement for a week and to experience diarrhea sometimes. Generally it is only when you transition to the solid stage that you might experience Constipation issues.

Thank you... thats good to hear. Letting the poor bum rest is the best medicine for fissures. Most hate having diarrhea, but for me it's great. Thanks so much for the help. Appreciate it bunches. Guess we'll just have to see how I react. Like y'all said.. everyone is different.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

I think post op Constipation is the most frequently posted issue. Some people get diarrhea, but constipation is very common.

You may want to take extra care talking to your team so they can give you the best recommendations for your situation.

I agree with berry, communication with you bariatric team will make all the difference here.

After surgery, I had diarrhea for three days, and then I didn't have a bowel movement for two weeks. Wound up in the ER where they pumped me full of fluids and sent me home. I was finally able to go and have been pretty regular since!

That can be controlled with fiber in your diet, pills, or liquid. If you can tolerate fruits, some are rich in fiber content. Ask your doctor. Besides the fistulas, you can be at risk for diverticulosis.

Edited by labwalker

While you are on liquids and puree it's likely that you will have loose bm's. liquid in =liquid out, lol!!

Definitely keep in touch with your doc. You may want to take Miralax and/or colace if Constipation is an issue once on solids. They help a lot and don't cause your bowels to become dependent on them. I was getting completely blocked without Miralax twice a day. I mean COMPLETELY, gas and all, nothing moved, very painful!!

Also, increasing liquids might help. 64 oz a day is not much, I drink at least twice that.

Best of luck with your surgery!