Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low BMI - VSG 6/2 (panicking!)

Hi all! This is this is my first time posting here, despite binging on the forums for weeks! I'm being sleeved next Friday (6/2) in Mexico. Currently my BMI is 33.8 and I turn 39 next month. My surgeon is the same one that did my sisters bypass three years ago, so I feel comfortable with him.
I've struggled with my weight my whole life and I've always been the smallest person in my family, despite being overweight, until my sister had a bypass. My highest weight was about 35 pounds more than I am now (BMI around 36). I can lose weight through intense diet and exercise, but can never keep it off. I can gain back months of losses in just a few weeks. Despite my weight I'm otherwise healthy. I just hate the Rollercoaster and I hate the way I look! My life literally revolves around food and obsessing about whatever fad diet and exercise program I'm on or promising myself I'm starting on Monday (and I can't forget the associated sense of failure and feelings of worthlessness everytime I don't follow through like I intended). I'm exhausted. My weight has been creeping up recently again and it's so depressing, which means I eat more and gain more weight! Lol
The reason I'm posting is because I've paid my deposit for the surgery next week and bought my flights, but am now having intense anxiety about it. I haven't told anyone but my sister (I'm lying to everyone about where I will be - including my kids). The idea that I'm cutting out 85% of an organ is driving me crazy. I feel like a failure. I feel like I should try harder, that I could do it if I wasn't so lazy/inconsistent, etc. Instead I'm cutting my stomach out and forever changing my life (I am super dramatic, yes) all because of my vanity?!?!
Any others that were in my situation and have any words of advice or encouragement? I'll even accept you telling me I'm crazy for doing this if that's what I need to hear. I'm just driving myself insane with anxiety. Please help!

Edited by Renee0629

I can really relate. Have you read my thread " Am I crazy for considering surgery in Mexico"? Check it out. I had a BMI of 31, but I have type 2 diabetes so that was my main motivation for having a VSG.

I can't tell you what to do, but I will say that no one should judge you. We all have our reasons for wanting to have WLS. I do not think it is the easy way out. I do think it can be a great tool to help us make positive permanent changes with our relationship with food. It will restrict us and give us time to learn and do the mental work if it is needed.

i can recommend my surgeon Dr. Illan and Bariactric Pal without hesitation. I am 8 days post-op and I feel great. I had a very good experience and I feel like this was the best thing I have ever done for myself.

good luck with your decision!

55 minutes ago, Apple1 said:

I can really relate. Have you read my thread " Am I crazy for considering surgery in Mexico"? Check it out. I had a BMI of 31, but I have type 2 diabetes so that was my main motivation for having a VSG.

I can't tell you what to do, but I will say that no one should judge you. We all have our reasons for wanting to have WLS. I do not think it is the easy way out. I do think it can be a great tool to help us make positive permanent changes with our relationship with food. It will restrict us and give us time to learn and do the mental work if it is needed.

i can recommend my surgeon Dr. Illan and Bariactric Pal without hesitation. I am 8 days post-op and I feel great. I had a very good experience and I feel like this was the best thing I have ever done for myself.

good luck with your decision!

Thank you! I'm hoping that I feel good 8 days out as well. I'm taking almost no time off work - going back 5 days post op. I have a desk job so hoping I can handle it. My sister said she had zero pain after the bypass, just really tired from lack of food.

I had a BMI of 33 when I started researching WLS in Nov 2016. I went on a diet, gave up everything bad, ate super healthy, and on the day of surgery my BMI was 29. My weight has gone up and down over the years, vacillating between Obese and Overweight but never Normal BMI. I have a variety of health issues and wanted to get control of my weight once and for all. I had surgery in Tijuana and am 6 weeks post-op. My surgeon, Dr Kelly, was awesome. Since surgery, my asthma has improved, no more Migraines, and my arthritis is much better. Next, I can't wait for my sleep and cholesterol to come around. I'm so excited to get to my goal weight and maintain it for the first time ever.

I only told my BFF that I was getting the surgery in Mexico, and I also had some fear & reservations ahead of time. But surgery went very well, minimal pain & gas, no regrets, and so far my weight loss has been slow and steady. Life is good!

Edited by MarinaGirl

I was in the same situation as you! Smallest person in my family, in spite of being overweight after having our daughter. Going up and down, exercising like crazy, fad diets and always being hungry. Once I decided to have the gastric sleeve I felt the same way. I could try harder, be better, I was taking the easy way out, cheating. Oh it went round and round. But I stuck to it. I am 7 weeks out, down 30 lbs and feel great! It's still an adjustment, but I'm so glad I did it. Don't beat yourself up, what we went through is hell. I actually had three women in my "group" at the hospital tell me I didn't have any reason to do the surgery. That is only because I wasn't 300 lbs YET. Good luck! It will be great!

9 minutes ago, SweetSusy said:

I was in the same situation as you! Smallest person in my family, in spite of being overweight after having our daughter. Going up and down, exercising like crazy, fad diets and always being hungry. Once I decided to have the gastric sleeve I felt the same way. I could try harder, be better, I was taking the easy way out, cheating. Oh it went round and round. But I stuck to it. I am 7 weeks out, down 30 lbs and feel great! It's still an adjustment, but I'm so glad I did it. Don't beat yourself up, what we went through is hell. I actually had three women in my "group" at the hospital tell me I didn't have any reason to do the surgery. That is only because I wasn't 300 lbs YET. Good luck! It will be great!

I can't believe those women actually said that to you. How rude. It was absolutely not their place to judge you. Sometimes I really wish people would stop and think before they speak.

You have to do what's best for you! Once you have it done that's it, no going back. I was nervous leading up to my procedure but I did it! And I feel I had no choice. I was 235 pds at 4"11 yoyed for 6 years and was borderline diabetic & I think I have undiagnosed pcos from the weight gain over the years. I couldn't live another year like that. Hope you find comfort in your decision.

Your journey is your own and nobody else's. Only you know your true struggle. I was a low bmi patient and decided to keep my surgery to myself. My surgeon was very supportive and understood my physical struggles that led me to surgery. Being nervous before any surgery is completely normal. I was crazy nervous up and until the anesthesiologist administered the happy juice. I have never regretted my bravery. The changes in my life since surgery have been hard, fun, exciting, and so much more. My only regret was not doing it earlier. You'll hear that a lot around here.

Good luck and keep us posted. Thinking of you.

You have to do what's best for you! Once you have it done that's it, no going back. I was nervous leading up to my procedure but I did it! And I feel I had no choice. I was 235 pds at 4"11 yoyed for 6 years and was borderline diabetic & I think I have undiagnosed pcos from the weight gain over the years. I couldn't live another year like that. Hope you find comfort in your decision.

I may sound like an idiot, but what is PCOS? I see it frequently on the posts.

Hi all! This is this is my first time posting here, despite binging on the forums for weeks! I'm being sleeved next Friday (6/2) in Mexico. Currently my BMI is 33.8 and I turn 39 next month. My surgeon is the same one that did my sisters bypass three years ago, so I feel comfortable with him. I've struggled with my weight my whole life and I've always been the smallest person in my family, despite being overweight, until my sister had a bypass. My highest weight was about 35 pounds more than I am now (BMI around 36). I can lose weight through intense diet and exercise, but can never keep it off. I can gain back months of losses in just a few weeks. Despite my weight I'm otherwise healthy. I just hate the Rollercoaster and I hate the way I look! My life literally revolves around food and obsessing about whatever fad diet and exercise program I'm on or promising myself I'm starting on Monday (and I can't forget the associated sense of failure and feelings of worthlessness everytime I don't follow through like I intended). I'm exhausted. My weight has been creeping up recently again and it's so depressing, which means I eat more and gain more weight! Lol The reason I'm posting is because I've paid my deposit for the surgery next week and bought my flights, but am now having intense anxiety about it. I haven't told anyone but my sister (I'm lying to everyone about where I will be - including my kids). The idea that I'm cutting out 85% of an organ is driving me crazy. I feel like a failure. I feel like I should try harder, that I could do it if I wasn't so lazy/inconsistent, etc. Instead I'm cutting my stomach out and forever changing my life (I am super dramatic, yes) all because of my vanity?!?! Any others that were in my situation and have any words of advice or encouragement? I'll even accept you telling me I'm crazy for doing this if that's what I need to hear. I'm just driving myself insane with anxiety. Please help!

I just had my surgery in Mexico three days ago. I only told a handful of people and they all had reactions. I am the heaviest I have personally ever been and have lost weight many many times only to regain it. I needed a final solution. Pre surgery I was panicking and even wanted to cancel the flight and procedure! However it's over now, and we'll see how the recovery goes.