Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for those with a lot to lose

I have a lot of weight to lose....around 200 lbs give or take. I'm about 4 months post op now, I've lost around 70lbs and all I can think about is how much further I still have to go! How do you stay motivated and focused?? I find it hard to accept compliments from friends and family on my loss so far because in my head I'm thinking "yeah, but I'm still so overweight". I'm still solidly in plus sized clothing and have a very very long way to go before that changes so shopping for new clothes doesn't bring me any joy - I'm just the next size down in the crappy selection of clothes that the fat stores carry. Sorry to sound so negative - I thought I would be happier with my losses but that is just not happening so far.

I had 188 to lose. I'm still only preop and have only lost 53 pounds so far and only 1 person has noticed. She said "it looks like you lost a little weight??" So I said yeah and told her how much and THEN she complimented me lol.

Anyway my motivation has only been from non scale victories (NSV), goal NSV and incentives I gave myself for weight loss numbers. I posted my charts on another thread and I believe my profile but I'll also include them here just to give you an idea of what I mean. Sorry for low quality and poor handwriting lol. I didn't initially intend to share.

The last pic is of my "skinny bucket list" / goal NSV

Image1495205217.506843.jpg.d6df64a6c0c9c3ed856dbfa348135154.jpg Image1495205243.940359.jpg.f08e7fd98ee8eb435dce7c783bdcf331.jpg Image1495205262.909216.jpg.f6263ba6159371247a3c7de3d8ed3a73.jpg

HW: 328 (02/21/17)

CW: 275 (preop 53# disowned)

I started 150lbs over a normal BMI, but I also am experiencing the loss of a bunch if weight that no one notices. In fact, I'm getting the, "I thought you'd be thinner by now!".

How I look at it:

Once the postop diet is completed at 8-9 weeks, I move into "the rest of my life". Whatever I envision doing forever is what I begin doing immediately. Some days there will be weight loss, others gain. Sometimes I'll need to buy new pants. Sometimes I need a new haircut. None if this is different from preop.

My hope is once I establish a healthy routine, that I can go forward in that routine, and there won't be a distinction between honeymoon phase, maintenance, or any other terms. I just want to live.

As for goals: it's easiest for me to create that healthy routine, and my goal for the day is to stick to it! I can control today so much better than "I want to be a size 8 in 16 months".

I do weigh myself each day and keep a record. If my healthy routine isn't working, then I am willing to make changes. After all, I created the routine, and it could be wrong in some way. But I have to see a full month of unsatisfactory progress before I decide to switch things up.

In the gym or exercise program, of course switching things up has to BE the routine.

I lost 236 lbs, and am now at a normal BMI (23). I pretty much just made it my hobby. I'm on this site and others pretty much every day, just to keep it at the forefront of my mind all the time.

From my heaviest to my goal weight (which is actually lower than the Dr.'s figure - they give you a goal of 75% of the with you have to lose) is about 410lbs. I'm down about 250 now. So I still have about 160 to lose.

I'll still be a large man so some things won't change. I look for small victories, like tying my shoes without getting winded (like at my heaviest). I go to a boxing gym twice a week and the trainer offered some additional tips and techniques since "I'm moving much more Fluid and faster." These things add up I promise.

Even the negatives I look at as goal posts along the way. Everyone has been super supportive at my job accept for one lady, she just started ignoring me, couldn't tell you why, but it started once the weight started coming off. Just another sign, times they are a changing.

Don't give up before you really get to see what you may have been missing.

Even driving car is more comfortable, lolol. I'm looking at getting a two seater for the first time ever!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using BariatricPal mobile app

I've got 165-ish to take off (roughly 50% of my highest weight) and I'm stalled at 20 pounds down on the pre-op diet. I'm struggling with hunger and impatience and defeatist thinking, but I'm trying to focus on TODAY. What can I "do right" today? This morning I got up and went for a 5k walk out in the sunshine, and thought about my goals of hiking and running and doing all my physical things. Then I drank some Protein Water and reminded myself again.

I guess all I can say is try not to look st the huge overwhelming goal. Yes you're working toward that, but look at what's right in front of you. Do that right. And repeat.

I have 10 pounds to my personal goal...if I got any thinner it would look nasty. Unless I have skin removal surgery. People have to remember they will in most cases have lose skin that can't be dieted off and can add a few pounds...more in some cases. I don't have rolls I have wrinkled lose skin that only skin removal will fix and dieting too thin just makes it worse. Hopefully next year I'll be able to afford the surgery. Cause it can be a bit depressing but I focus on my extra energy and how good I feel.

I have 10 pounds to my personal goal...if I got any thinner it would look nasty. Unless I have skin removal surgery. People have to remember they will in most cases have lose skin that can't be dieted off and can add a few pounds...more in some cases. I don't have rolls I have wrinkled lose skin that only skin removal will fix and dieting too thin just makes it worse. Hopefully next year I'll be able to afford the surgery. Cause it can be a bit depressing but I focus on my extra energy and how good I feel.

Good for you focusing on weight loss and energy levels. That lose skin is something that many of us will have to tackle at a later time. Right now all energy and focus needs to remain on losing weight and getting healthy...Congratulations again on what you have accomplished and continue towards your overall goal.

Thanks for all of the replies! I did go through and come up with some "rewards" for my remaining weight loss. Hopefully that will help me stay focused. And I know it will happen before I know it. It took me 10 months to get this surgery and that time seemed impossible but in hindsight it flew by. This will be the same I'm sure

I've got 165-ish to take off (roughly 50% of my highest weight) and I'm stalled at 20 pounds down on the pre-op diet. I'm struggling with hunger and impatience and defeatist thinking, but I'm trying to focus on TODAY. What can I "do right" today? This morning I got up and went for a 5k walk out in the sunshine, and thought about my goals of hiking and running and doing all my physical things. Then I drank some Protein Water and reminded myself again.
I guess all I can say is try not to look st the huge overwhelming goal. Yes you're working toward that, but look at what's right in front of you. Do that right. And repeat.

I am 6 weeks post op and had a week of feeling quite down. Talking help but I also surrounded myself with post it notes whick I wrote positive messages on reminding me how step by step, day by day I can do this. I focus on the day and have looked at rewards that do not focus on food or drink. Also take some time for you and I find staring each day with 10min deep breathing helps. Every day you are one step closer to where you want to be.

Sent from my SM-G925I using BariatricPal mobile app

It's a long process and it will take a long time. I started off at 429lbs. Surgery day I was like 386? Something like that. At my 1 yr appt I was 225lbs I'm currently 1yr and 7 months out and I'm 190lbs. I'm not where I want to be, but it's a long ass way away from where I started and that's really where you find he comfort. That you are so far away from where you started that even if you never lost another pound, you'll be happy and able to live a normal life and do all the things you want. I made a list when I started my journey of things I wanted to accomplish like no seatbelt extenders, shopping in regular size clothes dept, sitting in a chair without knowing the weight limit, going on the swings/slide at the park without fear of getting stuck or breaking it, etc. as I made those goals I checked them off. So far, my only one left is to climb a 14er, but I just tore out my shoulder after having recovered from tearing out my other one, so looks like it'll be another year for me before I can climb that mountain, but it's still my goal and so can't wait to check it off.