Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do I take flattering photos?

My confidence is way up since losing about 80 lbs, but I still feel like a deer in headlights in front of a camera. I've been avoiding them for so long I have no idea how to look good in photos! I guess this means I am not photogenic, but there must be something I can do to get a flattering photo of myself.

I have only one picture taken with my 6 year old, and none with my toddler. I would really like to take some pictures with them. Any tips?

TIA!

Get dressed up nicely, including the kids and have a professional (someone who does it for a living) take your pictures. Tell the photographer that you want a flattering photograph and let them pose you and the kids. Look at the camera and remember to smile.

When you find out would you please let me know how it is done!! LOL I am not even 1 bit photogenic. My neices look so pretty and they know how to pose and get awesome pictures. I have hide from camera all of my life. YIKES

For selfies, go to you tube and search how to look good in selfies. Then practice. It is really all practice.

For family pics find a pro like someone else suggested.

I've been photographing people since high school (yearbook) and I can say that most people's belief in their lack of photogenic goodness is all in their heads. Yes, some people photograph better than others. But that's likely due the shape of their head/face/eyes and the lighting they are in. Also, I find that people who hate having their picture taken almost always find a way to sabotage the photo by making a strange face or scowling or whatever, which further reinforces their belief.

A few tips:

1. Be confident. Want to take the picture, want to look good in it. Your confidence will make the picture better.
  2. Be aware of different kinds of lighting and how it affects your face. I know for me, natural light is best, and if I can, I always face a window to get a nice, even light on my face. Harsh lighting or low light is generally not good for me, since the shadows emphasize all the bad stuff, so I avoid taking pictures then (but follow advice #1 not to spoil any that might be taken).
  3. You must have one side (or more) that you feel is more photogenic than the others (or not as bad as the others) - and this is NOT the back of your head! ;) Try taking photos with that side, and be aware of it when others are taking your picture too. I hate my profile, especially the left side, so try always to be facing forward for any kind of portrait. However, that tends to be opposite for most other people.
  4. Take photos with your head/chin in different positions (slightly up, slightly down, slightly to the side) and see what's most flattering. Since you've lost a significant amount of weight you may not need fear the double chin anymore by lowering your chin for portraits.
  5. Cell phones have wide angle lenses on them which really distort faces. You can use that to your advantage my taking a photo from slightly above your head (with your chin pointing down and eyes looking up towards the phone) - it will give you a much narrower face. However, if you want a more natural looking picture, try using a camera with a lens between 85-135mm in focal length - this is generally the range favoured by portrait photographers (85 and 105 are usually the gold standards).

I'm not sure exactly what your situation is (you taking the photo, or someone taking the photo of you), but I hope you find something useful here.

Thanks for the tips! I know I will feel silly taking a bunch of selfies that I would never share, but I guess that is what I must to do find my "good side"

I know! I rarely take photos of myself (since I am usually the one taking photos), but honestly, just have fun for half an hour trying different things. The good thing with digital snaps is that you can shoot a bunch and then delete the ones you don't like.

Good posture is 90% of it. Back straight. Shoulders down. Head up but chin tilted slightly down. Smile, and make sure it's a real smile, one that touches your eyes!!

I like to press my tongue to the roof of my mouth to smile and try to really open my eyes. Not squint smile. And have the camera above you. Just me

If you are using a smartphone to take the selfie, there is an app called LightX. It has some pretty impressive editing tools for a phone app. Can whiten your teeth and smooth out blemishes. It costs $1.99. There also a free app called Slim and Skinny which you can use to thin your face a little.