Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Data Analysis, Machine Learning, Pattern Recognition & Weight Loss Prediction?

Hey,

So, I'm wondering if we feed weight loss data post-surgery into a database and use that data to analyze weight loss based on patterns and dietary habits, might that be useful for people to get an idea of how much weight they could lose and compare that with possible behavioural changes?

Thought you might be interested in such an idea. :)

It would be awful nice to know whether I should use an oil/vinegar dressing or just lemon juice.

I suspect that would yield some interesting results, but it would have to be a huge number of people, and you would have to allow for other data sets like medications, co-morbid diseases, family history and a bunch of other HIPAA information.

Yeah, I don't imagine I'll be collecting that much data since establishing an HIPAA compliant database would be kinda pricey (if it's sorta similar to establishing a PCI-compliant database for storing credit card data for recurring payments, I'm looking more to establish a range based on caloric intake and exercise data/types.

OK, call me dumb but all I got was, "Blah blah blah, blah, Ginger." LOL

39 minutes ago, Redmaxx said:

OK, call me dumb but all I got was, "Blah blah blah, blah, Ginger." LOL

I wish I was a ginger... pale is beautiful. :)

I am pale, I need SPF50 just to go out into the sun. When I was a kid my hair was VERY light blonde. That with the blue eyes makes for a very sun burnt youth.

1 minute ago, Redmaxx said:

I am pale, I need SPF50 just to go out into the sun. When I was a kid my hair was VERY light blonde. That with the blue eyes makes for a very sun burnt youth.

That'd be awesome too. Freckles and the red hair also make gingers super hawt but hey, having pale skin would definitely up my goth game. I'm still trying to get rid of my farmer's tan.

I have TONS of freckles. One time I went to visit my grandparents in Florida over spring break and got sunburned so bad that I had blisters on top of blisters. I will never know how I made it over in the sand box during the Strom without getting burned.

Funny thing about all of this is that neither my dad nor the woman that gave birth to me were fair skinned. Must be the Hungarian blood.

I'm not sure if we can link to this site, but this calculator is pretty accurate when you use the in depth one.

http://www.obesitycoverage.com/the-complete-patients-guide-to-bariatric-surgery/

The issue with weight loss is everyone is so different.

And then add in compliance of the respondants to accurately report the data....put that % error reporting in there and it's prolly turned to poop.

1 hour ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

I'm not sure if we can link to this site, but this calculator is pretty accurate when you use the in depth one.

http://www.obesitycoverage.com/the-complete-patients-guide-to-bariatric-surgery/

The issue with weight loss is everyone is so different.

Are these numbers just by virtue of having surgery or can these numbers be improved by more exercise?

Hmm.. I dunno. I am just going to share my experience.

I don't follow a regular exercise program, mainly because high intensity exercises stress my body out and it clings to weight. I do walk daily, I do yoga randomly, and I do weights and squats randomly. I don't follow any formal exercise.

My chart estimates for 24 months post-op...

e1b3d9d7542a3002f8a5a84a25cbf817.png

I am 22 months as of yesterday. I was 208 exactly on my 15 month anniversary. So I was in the top 20% of sleeve losers at month 15 not month 24. So far I have exceed all goals.

I think for me the biggest thing is my sleeve prevents me from feeling deprived. I was a low carber to control my diabetes long before surgery so eating low carb isn't some punishment to me. Low carb was a life saver for me that prevented me from going on insulin. The fact I can low carb now, without feeling deprived and feeling full seems like a miracle and a blessing I am grateful for every day. People that feel like they are deprived from things they love seem to really struggle all the time with making the correct food choices. I don't have that issue. Making the right food choices is easy and very natural for me.

I'm going to start some kind of formal exercise program soon in addition to my walking because I really want to lose another 20 pounds and it isn't going to happen with any speed without me trying a little harder :lol: So I am going to try exercising because my food isn't an issue. I might find that I have bottomed out and my body just doesn't wan to lose anymore, I haven't weighed this weight in about 24 years so my body might just think this is good enough.

My opinion is exercise is necessary for fitness and overall health, and long term weight maintenance but not necessary for weight loss. If vigorous exercise makes you hungry, it is counter productive to losing weight.

Here is something else interesting about that calculator.

This is the 12 month prediction...

9c0346211a378d0cbe3e7cd77a5e83e3.png

This is the 18 month prediction...

86baeb89e212bbf8cacadcac73940513.png

Notice that between months 18 and 24 they expect you start regaining, you bottom out at 18 and start bouncing up. I have lost about 5 pounds since month 18 (and a dress size), no regain. My observation from reading this and other forums, is this is pretty accurate. Most people that had surgery when I did are regaining and struggling with food. I'm still losing, slowly with little effort. I have been kind of doing maintenance calories for a while because I wanted a break but I still ended up losing :( :P:lol:

That was a long post just to say I think your attitude about your post-op diet has the biggest effect on your success rate. Weighing and tracking everything you eat would be number 2.

That'd be awesome too. Freckles and the red hair also make gingers super hawt but hey, having pale skin would definitely up my goth game. I'm still trying to get rid of my farmer's tan.

My name is Ginger'
I need the SPF 50 too! lol
I use Rodan+Fields Sunless Tanner.
It can help with that! [emoji41]IMG_6312.JPG

If anyone wants some, just ask!
I am not into tanning because
I have such pale skin! This stuff
ROCKS!