Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I doing something wrong?

I'm on day 4 of 5 Premier shakes a day, low sodium broth twice a day and all the crystal light/mio/sf drinks I want. That's 800 calories a day, 25g carbs and 150 g Protein. Vigorous walking. I haven't lost but 1 pound. What's am I doing wrong?

You're on your pre-op diet, correct? The unfortunate reality is that not everyone loses weight on the pre-op diet, especially if they've had trouble losing weight in the past.

Many people consider bariatric surgery in the first place because they struggle to lose weight and/or keep it off with diet and exercise.

The one thing I'd change about your routine is the exercise. Since you are not really consuming enough calories to fuel a vigorous exercise routine, I'd either reduce the intensity to a leisurely walk or (better yet) cut out the exercise altogether during your pre-op diet.

Here's the issue: some people throw their bodies into starvation mode with a combination of vigorous exercise and not enough calories to properly fuel their workouts. The body holds on for dear life and slows down metabolic processes because it isn't getting what it needs.

Good luck to you.

Edited by Introversion

4 minutes ago, Introversion said:

Here's the issue: some people throw their bodies into starvation mode with a combination of vigorous exercise and not enough calories to properly fuel their workouts.

Here's an article that explains the situation in more detail.

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/04/27/starvation-mode-are-you-eating-enough/

Edited by Introversion
double post

You're on your pre-op diet, correct? The unfortunate reality is that not everyone loses weight on the pre-op diet, especially if they've had trouble losing weight in the past.
Many people consider bariatric surgery in the first place because they struggle to lose weight and/or keep it off with diet and exercise.
The one thing I'd change about your routine is the exercise. Since you are not really consuming enough calories to fuel a vigorous exercise routine, I'd either reduce the intensity to a leisurely walk or (better yet) cut out the exercise altogether during your pre-op diet.
Here's the issue: some people throw their bodies into starvation mode with a combination of vigorous exercise and not enough calories to properly fuel their workouts. The body holds on for dear life and slows down metabolic processes because it isn't getting what it needs.
Good luck to you.

Yes, I am on my pre-op diet. My doctor's info sheet says this Very Low Calorie Diet is to induce rapid weight loss. I worry if it doesn't induce it they will think I didn't follow the diet. I will pull back on the exercise.

Do some light yoga, meditation to relax, you are all keyed up. Go get a massage!!

I have the same question as you. I'm on day 6 of 14 of my pre-op diet an have only lost 2 pounds. It's disappointing to see everyone's huge loses.

My diet is/was the Medifast type packets. I can not and will not attempt to eat those any longer. Every time I try to eat one of those meals, I gag and retch. The smell and taste are horrible. I know everyone says "follow your doctors orders" but I just cant. Instead, I'll stick to a 700 calorie diet of Protein Drinks and a low calorie/low carb snack. I guarantee that I'll lose more this second week without those nasty packets.

I only lost 7 pounds on my pre-op diet and I was a lot larger than all of you. It was hot in the summer and it was a miracle I lost anything because I was bloated.

The point is to shrink your liver to make surgery easier, not rapid weight loss.

Stick to the program and good luck with surgery.

I'm on day 4 of 5 Premier shakes a day, low sodium broth twice a day and all the crystal light/mio/sf drinks I want. That's 800 calories a day, 25g carbs and 150 g Protein. Vigorous walking. I haven't lost but 1 pound. What's am I doing wrong?

I wasn't losing much on my preop diet either and got discouraged until I changed my mindset. I eventually cut out the Premier Protein shakes and switched to Protein Powder and almond milk and seem to be losing more than when I was using the premier shakes. In the beginning I broke down crying because my weight loss was nowhere near what most others were and had to remind myself what the ultimate goal is with that and that's simply to shrink my liver. Surgery is on Thursday so I just hope my liver is good enough to get it done and that's my major stressor right now but otherwise I feel good about what I'm doing with this preop and my progress. Hang in there and remember the ultimate goal.

6 hours ago, NewChiGirl said:

What's am I doing wrong?

Nothing!!!

you are following program to the tee:rolleyes:

drinking broth, Protein Shakes, crystal light,

walking too!! you are aces!!

you are doing well, lbs will come off

measurements too!!

never compare your weight loss - or

anyone to OP - in the future you might

be in similar situations with weight loss

thinking others are losing faster than you

Get Over It:rolleyes:

@AK_Bookworm - good luck on thursday

@LittleM - half way done with pre-op woo hoo!!

@NewChiGirl last but not least - all your

excess weight didn't happen over night,

not gonna wake up one morning with

weight all gone

good luck to all

kathy

46 minutes ago, proudgrammy said:

Nothing!!!

you are following program to the tee

drinking broth, Protein Shakes, crystal light,

walking too!! you are aces!!

you are doing well, lbs will come off

measurements too!!

never compare your weight loss - or

anyone to OP - in the future you might

be in similar situations with weight loss

thinking others are losing faster than you

Get Over It:rolleyes:

@AK_Bookworm - good luck on thursday

@LittleM - half way done with pre-op woo hoo!!

@NewChiGirl last but not least - all your

excess weight didn't happen over night,

not gonna wake up one morning with

weight all gone

good luck to all

kathy

Thank you!!!

On 5/14/2017 at 1:26 PM, AK_Bookworm said:

I wasn't losing much on my preop diet either and got discouraged until I changed my mindset. I eventually cut out the Premier Protein shakes and switched to Protein Powder and almond milk and seem to be losing more than when I was using the premier shakes. In the beginning I broke down crying because my weight loss was nowhere near what most others were and had to remind myself what the ultimate goal is with that and that's simply to shrink my liver. Surgery is on Thursday so I just hope my liver is good enough to get it done and that's my major stressor right now but otherwise I feel good about what I'm doing with this preop and my progress. Hang in there and remember the ultimate goal.

I'm having the same problem. I had a surgery date of May 9th but when my surgeon went to perform surgery, he discovered that my liver did not shrink enough. I lost 15 pounds on my pre-op liquid diet but my liver was still too large. I weighed in last Thursday and I have not lost anything!!! I think I need to stop the Premier Protein shakes and switch back to the Bariatric Advantage.

I'm having the same problem. I had a surgery date of May 9th but when my surgeon went to perform surgery, he discovered that my liver did not shrink enough. I lost 15 pounds on my pre-op liquid diet but my liver was still too large. I weighed in last Thursday and I have not lost anything!!! I think I need to stop the Premier Protein shakes and switch back to the Bariatric Advantage.< br>

Oh wow. Did he still perform the surgery? I've heard they won't if the liver is too big.

I'm having the same problem. I had a surgery date of May 9th but when my surgeon went to perform surgery, he discovered that my liver did not shrink enough. I lost 15 pounds on my pre-op liquid diet but my liver was still too large. I weighed in last Thursday and I have not lost anything!!! I think I need to stop the Premier Protein shakes and switch back to the Bariatric Advantage.< br>

Switching my Protein Shake was the best thing... I started losing weight more and my surgeon said my liver looked great. I would switch it up if you can and see if that helps.

56 minutes ago, NewChiGirl said:

Oh wow. Did he still perform the surgery? I've heard they won't if the liver is too big.

No he was not able to do the surgery! I was devastated....and I didn't find out until I was out of recovery and back in the room with my family. I've been on liquids since April 29th and I haven't lost any weight since May 9th. I have an appointment/weigh in on May 24th & I'm praying that I've lost (shrunk the live) enough to schedule me another surgery date. Y'all please pray for me, I'm trying to keep the faith!

32 minutes ago, AK_Bookworm said:

Switching my Protein shake was the best thing... I started losing weight more and my surgeon said my liver looked great. I would switch it up if you can and see if that helps.

I think I will! Thank you!!